What I'm Reading

What are you reading and/or excited about!

Moderators: bakamatt, Aldric

Re: What I'm Reading

Postby bakamatt » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:37 pm

After a brutal frikkin' hiatus of 16 months, Toradora volume 7 shipped today!

Also, Your Lie in April volume 2.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:31 pm

And speaking of hiati (hiatuses?), B&N had volume 14 of Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service today. I wasn't really expecting to ever find it there, since it usually seems that when a title has been furloughed for a long time, they don't shelve the later volumes when they do finally ship. This was the case with the most recent volumes of Hayate the Combat Butler and Oh! My Goddess - I had to get those from Rightstuf.

For reasons still unknown to me, since I've only leafed through it, two of the chapters are drawn in a rather Western-influenced style, as well as the usual cover art portraits of the cast (except, for course, for Karatsu). A style that appears to me to be inspired by the work of Bruce Timm, which delights me, since he's one of my favorite Western comic artists. (Check Google Images for his stuff if you want to compare.) Even just glancing at the chapters, they're pretty funny.

Also, volume 3 of Maria the Virgin Witch shipped, a couple of weeks late. I read the first few chapters, and was surprised by a display of respect for the character I wasn't expecting. As a preliminary to rape, an already-injured Maria is quite brutally beaten and partly stripped, but the author doesn't use that as an excuse to show her naked. I couldn't help but compare it to volume 5 or 6 of Sacred Blacksmith, in which a similar thing happens to Cecily but we do get an eyeful. All in all, I prefer Maria's approach.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:35 am

I've been pretty lukewarm on Soul Eater Not until now, and the long gap between volumes 4 and 5 (the final one) didn't help. I enjoyed getting the background on Kim and Jackie, but that business of alternating between the main story and little throwaway 4-komi-ish comedy bits didn't much work for me.

But that final volume 5 vindicates the series, with an exciting climactic battle and a satisfactory resolution to the question of who Tsugumi teams with, Anya or Meme. I'd happily read more about that meister/weapon team. And it's got me considering watching the anime, which I wasn't, up to now.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:21 am

I've finished omnibus volume 1 (vols. 1 and 2) of Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer, and liked it more than well enough that I'm going to go look for omnibus volume 2 (vols. 3 and 4) today.

It's a quirky story, at least by Japanese standards - which is to say, quirky but not as quirky as it might be if it was being written by a Westerner. On the surface, it's standard "super-powered teenagers fight to save the world" stuff. The quirks come in when you get to know the characters - their personalities, especially why they claim they're fighting to save the world.

I describe the art as "perky"; full of energy, but less-detailed than I like, a bit simple. Panty shots are fairly common. I'd be just as happy to have the story use magic skirts or censor shadows instead, as this doesn't strike me as at all an ecchi story - before you've gotten very far, things have turned kind of dark and playing peek-a-boo is discordant.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:47 pm

I think CR has that on their manga app
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:51 am

I finished omnibus volume 2 (vols. 3 and 4) of Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer. I'm not as high on the title as I was after omnibus volume 1; the cast has exploded in what feels to me like kind of a perfunctory way with yet another allusion to the 12 animals zodiac (although it's not all the usual 12 animals). In this case, a big cast of weirdos isn't especially more interesting than a small one, and I'm not even trying to keep track of who everyone is. But I already got omnibus volume 3, so we'll see.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:03 pm

I'm afraid I've run out of steam on Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer after omnibus volume 3 (volumes 5 and 6). I'm still interested in the characters from the start of the story, but their screen time has been badly diluted by characters added since then that I'm not finding interesting. This presents a disadvantage to omnibus volumes; I might have decided I was done with the title after five normal volumes and not have had to pay for six. I'll be a little hesitant to buy into omnibus editions after this.

I'm also getting the feeling that
Spoiler: show
the Big Bad is going to turn out to be the Big Good, or at least an "end justifies the means" villain. If that's not the case, he's being so vaguely and capriciously written that he's not worth bothering with. If it is the case, I shouldn't have seen it this early in the series.

Today I picked up Citrus volume 3 and Is It Wrong To Try To Pick Up Girls In A Dungeon? manga volume 2. The former is a yuri drama I'm hoping pulls off the same trick as the Simoun anime did: come for the girl-kissing, stay for the story. The latter, I think, needs no introduction at this point, but I have one petty but sincere complaint with the design of the book: there are no volume numbers on the spine.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:26 pm

If it is another Simoun please let me know!
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:16 pm

Whoops. :oops: There are numbers on the spine; as soon as I had two to compare side by side, I could see them.

I don't think there's any way Citrus is going to be half as thoughtful as Simoun is; what I'm hoping to settle for is something with enough meat on its bones to sustain it. I can't run on yuri content alone; otherwise I'd have gotten farther than volume 1 of From the New World. Despite having the hottest yuri scenes I've seen in anything short of Tokio Private Police, I still flamed out on if after one volume.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:30 am

Nope, Citrus drops off the buy list. The art remains gorgeous, as it had better be, but the addition of the
"evil childhood friend who hatches implausible schemes"
character is just too silly.

Contrariwise, I've seen some of the art from the early issues of the manga version of Actually, I Am... (Jitsu Wa, Watashi Wa...) and, Lordy, it's ugly. The series supposed to get a release here starting, I think, early next year as My Monster Secret, but I really don't know if I'm going to be able to cope. It does eventually get better.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:16 am

Darn, Nisekoi is running hot and cold these days. Volume ten was fine, eleven (available yesterday) was lame. The amnesia story was wrapped up and, though it prompted developments in the inter-character dynamic,
pretty much everyone knows about all three keys and the events of ten years prior now, and Shu suspects Marika is lying about not remembering more,
any amnesia story is a red flag that the writer is flailing.

Then we get, wow!, a new walk-on character. And while it's slightly cute that Marika's old friend should be
vulgar, and bring out some of the vulgar in Marika,
really, who cares? This new character also prompts another attempt to present Marika as
a genuine challenge to Onedera and Chitoge
- another unconvincing attempt.

And if all that wasn't bad enough, Onodera's little sister Haru remains a waste of space.

I fear the title's fallen into a serious case of "where do I go now?" with the writing. I used to like the characters enough to be able to overlook the continual cliche elements, but it's starting to get hard to go on caring about them.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:01 pm

The first omnibus edition of Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service is out.

It still seems that the Oak Park Barnes & Noble is stronger for manga than the one at Nall and College. The former received The Ancient Magus' Bride volume 2 where the latter had not.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:52 pm

Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service was on the RightStuf sale this week but several of the volumes are unavailable. (Do manga companies realize how much it costs them to not have all volumes of a series available?) I plan to give it a go if I can find the set for a reasonable price. I'm still intrigued enough by Citrus that I'll likely try a few volumes to test the water. I have enough respect for Simoun to doubt that anything will surpass it for some time in the niche that it occupies so I've accepted the fact that "pretty" will have to do until the next rare gem makes itself known.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:10 pm

Chaika the Coffin Princess vol. 2 and Spice & Wolf vol. 11 shipped today, on schedule. Haganai vol. 12 shipped a week early, which I believe is the second time a volume in that series has done so.

I'm in the process of reading the first volume of the light novel version of Is It Wrong To Try To Pick Up Girls In A Dungeon?, but I'm afraid the style isn't agreeing with me. (Though I was quite enthusiastic about the anime.) I have no way of knowing to what extent my complaints can be attributed to the conventions of the medium, or the skills of the author, the translator as a translator, or the translator as an author. But everyone reads for different things, and I'm certainly glad to have another form of Japanese popular media available here.

I was interested to see that I was making some fundamental assumptions about the world that were wrong - or are, at least, different in the manga. In particular, I hadn't understood that no one except gods can see adventurers' "stats" on their back; I thought everyone could see them.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:48 pm

This was a good day for manga: A Bride's Story 7, Is It Wrong To Try To Pick Up Girls In A Dungeon? (a.k.a. DanMachi) 3, and School-Live! 1.

I've also started reading (and watching) Black Bullet, and yeah, Enju is cute as a button, but I don't know how long I'll be able to handle how rough the story gets.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

PreviousNext

Return to Manga News and Reviews