Time of Eve

A place to post reviews and opinions on various anime series.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

Time of Eve

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:10 am

Time of Eve is a 6 episode ONA (Original Net Anime) that is set in a future Japan where androids have become commonplace. They are so common that people basically treat them like household appliances. They are indistinguishable from humans, except for a large halo around their heads. One day, while doing maintenance the main character Rikuo finds that his android has been taking trips to an unknown place everyday on her own. He, along with a classmate, go to check out where the android has been going, and discover a coffee shop called Time of Eve. Inside the shop, the rule is that humans and androids are treating the same, and also the androids have their halo's turned off inside the coffee shop. The door to the shop also locks for several minutes after someone leaves, so they can't be followed. Rikuo meets other people/androids inside of this shop of varying personalities and ages and gets to learn some of their motivations and likes and dislikes. One of the reasons for all the secrecy is the Robot Ethics Committee, which thinks that all robots are just tools, and people should not treat them like people, and has a strong following in the govt. Asimov's 3 laws of robotics is of course on display in this series, along with loopholes (such as, Androids can lie about if they are android or human). If you liked movies like I Robot, Blade Runner, or Bicential Man you might like this series. It is well animated, insightful, and fun to watch. There is also a movie out now, that provides alternate perspective on the same events, as well as additional scenes. Both shows are available on Crunchyroll. I gave it a 9/10. Avg MAL score 8.35 ANN 8.5
http://www.crunchyroll.com/time-of-eve-the-movie
http://www.crunchyroll.com/time-of-eve
http://myanimelist.net/anime/3167/Eve_no_Jikan
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... hp?id=7998
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Re: Time of Eve

Postby Tsunami3k » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:55 am

Good reminder for me to watch this. I did the Kickstarter for it and forgot about it promptly thereafter.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:32 am

I found out that the same creator/director of Time of Eve has another film called Patema Inverted. It is about a world, where some experiment long ago, caused some people to have their gravity inverted, so they live underground. It is available (dub only as far as I could find) on Amazon Prime streaming, and Hulu. I watched it last night, and it was an interesting film. Typical dystopia where the surface dwellers hate the "inverts" and the power mad leader wants to destroy them and anyone who opposes his totalitarian rule of the surface. A surface dwelling boy meets an inverted girl and they work together to try and dodge the law, and bring together the surface and inverts in peace. The ending was a bit weird
Spoiler: show
The boy and girl end up floating into the "sky" and find another city, and a flying machine that the boys father had built. In a fight with the mad ruler, end up breaking through the floor of the underground world to find another surface. What, is this world a large pancake?

I gave it a 7/10, it was a decent piece of sci-fi, kind of 1984ish, only more colors. The thing that bothers me, is they never seem to give any reason for why some people have inverted gravity (are they generating their own personal gravitational field?), other then there was an experiment to convert gravity to energy, and it went bad. Personally, I found that idea more interesting then the war between the surface and inverts. I am no physicist or anything, but would two people who have opposing gravitational fields really cancel each out? Wouldn't they just continually repel each other? If the gravity couldn't be coming from the planet because then surface dwellers who went underground would be effected, and they are not. I would think that if a person is generating their own gravity, it would effect their environment. tl;dr it was a good movie, not as good as Time as Eve, but a decent watch.
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:47 pm

No one understands what gravity really is; we simply have what seem to be accurate models of what it does. It's an attraction between at least two bodies' centers of mass that diminishes very quickly with distance. Gravity works on planets, stars, etc., despite their being far away from each other because they're very big.

It's generally expressed as an acceleration. For example, the gravity between you and the Earth at sea level is causing you to effectively accelerate toward the center of the Earth at 32 feet/second/second. But the astronauts in the ISS, who are by interplanetary standards still very close to the Earth, have had the influence of the Earth's gravity so diminished by distance that it practically doesn't affect them; they've ceased to accelerate towards the Earth and are hence "weightless."

I don't believe we have any accepted model under which it would "reverse." It would be somewhat more scientifically rigorous to instead posit that the inverts have some other force besides gravity (a "tractor beam"?) acting on them that is accelerating them away from the earth at 64 feet/second/second. With some hand-waving, that would have the same consequences as 'reversed gravity'.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Return to Anime Reviews