The Wind Rises @ Alamo - February 28th

Event information, Information, Meeting Recaps, Conventions, Personal Events, Parties.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, Kokon Tozai

The Wind Rises @ Alamo - February 28th

Postby kaworu5 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:11 am

The Wind Rises – Friday, February 28th 7:25pm – $9.50 – subbed
http://drafthouse.com/movies/the-wind-rises/kansas_city

I kinda thought the prior Miyazaki movies on their schedule were leading up to this. Nice to know that they put this in their largest theater for a prime weekend night showing. I decided to make this its own topic rather than in with the other Drafthouse showings since it's a premiere screening before the DVD is out, which is a rule I arbitrarily made up. Can join it to the other thread if you wanna.

14/200 sold so far. It wouldn't be surprising if it sold out seeing that the Spirited Away screening got over 100 seats filled.
kaworu5
Anime Enthusiast

Re: The Wind Rises @ Alamo - February 28th

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:05 pm

Stupid sprint center
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime onlineImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:13 am

Overall I thought it was a good movie. The romance part of the movie was probably the best part. The airplane stuff was ok. If this does end up his final directorial effort, it is not a bad way to go. Some critics not so agreeable to Miazaki's rose colored glasses http://www.villagevoice.com/2013-12-11/ ... ind-rises/
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime onlineImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:40 am

I kind of had that reservation from the first time I heard what the movie was about. But I think that writer is holding Miyazaki to an absurd standard: imagine the audacity of a Japanese director, trying to make a mass-market movie that the Japanese will like. Miyazaki has never even pretended he was filming for anyone but the Japanese.

I'm having some of the same reservations as I watch Night Raid 1931, a show I'm otherwise enjoying a lot: fortunately, it's not too hard to forget that the characters are in the service of an occupying power.

I agree that the Japanese have shown a certain moral cowardice in, one the one hand, evincing a massive national episode of guilt in the post-war era, but on the other, not actually talking about what it is they feel guilty about. (I suspect what they're atoning for is losing, not what they did in the course of losing.) But a popular medium is not the place to look for reconciliation.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Chief » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:49 pm

I really wanted to see this movie this weekend...but it looks like it is only playing in KC and the weather has had other plans.

Grr...

I am aware of the controversy this film has caused, and I 100% agree with bakamatt. Especially:

But a popular medium is not the place to look for reconciliation.

Which is why we don't expect Call of Duty to apologize for slaughtering Yemen civilians during a wedding procession via drone strike. I find it odd that some critics are getting a bee up their butt for a Japanese film glamorizing the Japanese-side of the war when our war films do the exact same thing for US audiences.
Chief
Anime Aficionado

Postby Chief » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:54 pm

I was finally able to see this movie yesterday. :)

It's not going to unseat "The Castle of Cagliostro" as my favorite Miyazaki movie or anything, but I enjoyed it a great deal.
Chief
Anime Aficionado

Postby bakamatt » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:54 pm

If you didn't see it, or want to see it again on the "big" screen, Liberty Hall in Lawrence has The Wind Rises today through, I think, next Tuesday or Wednesday. The 9:30 PM screenings are subtitled, the rest are dubbed.

I think we're going to try to get over for the first or second screening tomorrow.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Return to Event Discussion