Naka-Kon 2013

Event information, Information, Meeting Recaps, Conventions, Personal Events, Parties.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, Kokon Tozai

Naka-Kon 2013

Postby TectonicMuse » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:13 pm

Jeez, It looks like early bird-registration is already up.. and the due date is as early as September 30th?
TectonicMuse
Anime Aficionado

Re: Naka-Kon 2013

Postby Tsunami3k » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:27 pm

Yep. If you prereg this early it's the same price as Motaku which makes it a no-brainer.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Kokon Tozai » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:17 am

Anyone visited the Naka-Kon site lately? Seems like they had major server disaster at the first of this year & Ryltar has said this in the forums:
The forums are online again. Unfortunately all users and posts were lost. Please visit http://forums.naka-kon.com to re-register. As always, please follow the forum rules.

So if you were registered on the forums & can't log in that's why.

Preety interesting musical artists this year. Nobuo Uematsu - Composer - Final Fantasy Series. Panel guest I think not performing. However their musical guest of honor is The Blue Chee's. Nope, never heard of them before but a girl group from Japan first time performing in the U.S. They have a good video on youtube introducing themselves & mentioning how excited they are to be at Naka-Kon & visiting Kansas. Best to check it out at starting at the N-K page:

http://naka-kon.com/guests
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby Tsunami3k » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:53 am

Oh man. I've been super-excited about Nobuo Uematsu's arrival ever since I heard about him coming from Geoffrey at Nebraskon. He's a fantastic composer and I've enjoyed a lot of his work from the Final Fantasy series. I had no idea it was a panel-only thing which, if true, is a major disappointment. Not that getting to ask a composer of his talent questions and all but it would be no less than amazing to hear him live.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby ca_jas » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:31 pm

Yeah my jaw dropped when I heard we got Nobuo. Seriously the one musician who has influenced every piece of music I've written.
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby BretDM » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:56 pm

Never been to a convention like this, but am considering going this year. Is it worth it to go, especially alone since none of my friends are big fans of anime? Definitely not enough to spend the money to go to this with me. It sounds like fun though, I'd love to try something new and advance my fandom.
BretDM

Postby Tsunami3k » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:42 pm

BretDM wrote:Never been to a convention like this, but am considering going this year. Is it worth it to go, especially alone since none of my friends are big fans of anime? Definitely not enough to spend the money to go to this with me. It sounds like fun though, I'd love to try something new and advance my fandom.

Oh heck yeah! My first several years in anime were relatively solo as my friends prior to my discovery of anime weren't into it. It's a blast to experience fandom in all of its colorful variations in full force at a convention. It's a lot to take in, particularly as big as Naka-Kon has become, but and breed of fan, even one still in their formative stages, is all but guaranteed to resonate with something there. Several of us usually congeal at whatever con we go to. Find us and hang out for as long as you find our company enjoyable.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby ca_jas » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:43 pm

BretDM wrote:Never been to a convention like this, but am considering going this year. Is it worth it to go, especially alone since none of my friends are big fans of anime? Definitely not enough to spend the money to go to this with me. It sounds like fun though, I'd love to try something new and advance my fandom.

You should definitely plan to meet up with some of the forum members. We almost always have a large enough group to enjoy the various events together plus getting lunch to talk about everything we saw. Anime cons are really lonely if you go alone, the key is finding your place and make/bring friends to the place you belong in.

Speaking of which, now that I'm no longer doing artist alleys, I have time to actually walk around with ASK-C'ers for more than a few minutes! Yay~
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby Kokon Tozai » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:42 pm

^ yeah what they said.

You would probably feel immediately right at home, good vibes everywhere. It would be great to meet a new member! At least one Saturday would be suggested. Hey! Here's some pics Tim took last year:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tsunami3k/sets/72157629295303979/
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby bakamatt » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:56 pm

Naka is an extremely good mid-sized convention; we're lucky to have it in town, and in my opinion you couldn't do better for a first con. But what Jas said about them being lonely when you don't know anyone can be absolutely true too, so don't be shy about looking us up.

And start saving your money now! Really! I mean it!
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby BretDM » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Thanks for the tips as always everybody. Just from the pictures alone and reading about it, it definitely looks worth my time and like a fun experience. One more question though, do most that attend cosplay? I've always kind of thought it looked fun, but if I did I don't quite have the skill to make anything decent. Thanks again.
BretDM

Postby bakamatt » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:53 pm

I once estimated that one person in four or five was in costume. Which, I'd say, is a very high ratio.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby joker » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:17 pm

Looking forward to naka kon. Glad it was pushed back to what will hopefully be a warmer month. I guess it's way too late to get an ask-c party room now. Carolina's will be going as Ada Wong at least part of the day.

"Myau flaps his wings proudly." -Phantasy Star I
joker
Anime Enthusiast

Postby Rave-Kiba » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:33 pm

I've never been to NakaCon but i've heard good things about it. I've been to a lot of cons, mainly in Texas, but I'm thinking about going to this one. Anyone know roughly how pricey this one is? Majority of the Texas ones are pretty up in expenses.
Rave-Kiba

Postby bakamatt » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:39 pm

Late Pre-Registration (ends February 9, 2013)

* Child Badge: $15.00
* Adult Badge: $40.00
* Group Rate: $35.00 each (7 members minimum)

At Door Full Weekend

* Child Badge: $15.00
* Adult Badge: $50.00
* Group Rate is not available at door.

Single Day Badges (Please note: Single day badges are not available in advance and must be purchased in CASH at the convention.)

* Child (12 and under), any single day: $10.00
* Adult Friday Only: $25.00
* Adult Saturday Only: $30.00
* Adult Sunday Only: $20.00
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Next

Return to Event Discussion