MOTAKU 2011

Event information, Information, Meeting Recaps, Conventions, Personal Events, Parties.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, Kokon Tozai

MOTAKU 2011

Postby Kokon Tozai » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:00 pm

The MOTAKU guys were at the Screenand theater for Evagelion passing out some cool posters & alerting us that the usual fall date has chenged. From their webiste:
December 9th, 2010

Hey everyone! We are working hard to bring you Motaku 2011! You should notice some big changes this year, starting with our dates. We have moved from October into August. August 19-21st to be exact. Also new this year is our Location. We will now be at the Holiday Inn/CoCo Key Water Resort, just off I-70 and Blue Ridge.
Online Registration is open, so feel free to buy a ticket now. We should be getting all the pages updated with 2011 info in the next few days, and the new website should be live within the week(expect some erratic website behavior while we work out the kinks).

This does not interfere with AnimeIowa which is July 29th to the 31st.

Smart move, MOTAKU!
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby Tsunami3k » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:10 pm

rofl....Nice mokkori avatar. And I'm thrilled at the idea of a local warm-weather con. Yay!
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Re: MOTAKU 2011

Postby Aldric » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:42 pm

Kokon Tozai wrote:
This does not interfere with AnimeIowa which is July 29th to the 31st.

Smart move, MOTAKU!

Whew, I got worried there for a sec, and it doesn't overlap with the health care conference! WOO!
Ben in real life
Aldric
Anime Connoisseur

Postby joker » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:38 am

sounds cool, I was talking to bushie at nakakon and he introduced me to a couple of people from this convention. sounds interesting. very close to my house. I think i'll see about volunterring or staffing.
"Myau flaps his wings proudly." -Phantasy Star I
joker
Anime Enthusiast

Postby Kokon Tozai » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:53 pm

Bump.
Just a reminder... have you got your ticket yet? Last chance to preregister on line is July 31ist. After that it's $40 at the door.

http://motaku.org/?page_id=10
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby Tsunami3k » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:57 pm

Kokon Tozai wrote:Bump.
Just a reminder... have you got your ticket yet? Last chance to preregister on line is July 31ist. After that it's $40 at the door.

http://motaku.org/?page_id=10

That's a good question. The last few years I've been reflexively registering for cons when I stumble upon prereg booths at various festivals, cons and events. And now I have no idea if I've already preregistered for Motaku. Doh!
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:39 am

I got my membership for this year at last year. <smug>Won it in one of the contests, to be specific.</smug>

<not smug>Of course, I'll have to find the certificate. And I've moved since then...</not smug>
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby joker » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:51 pm

I really hope motaku can become as good as nakakon. But i do already have a somewhat disappointing story about motaku. I actually wrote one of the con leaders in feb offering to staff in some capacity. They wrote back they'd be in touch but i never heard back.

I'm sure i could have kept offering to help and eventuially have been allowed to, but really should that be neccessary? As we all know, there is no such thing as "too much help" at a con.

anyways they will be getting my dollars and a new kickass cosplay from my wife ( soulcalibur) , so that will have to do
joker
Anime Enthusiast

Postby bakamatt » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:22 am

joker wrote:I actually wrote one of the con leaders in feb offering to staff in some capacity. They wrote back they'd be in touch but i never heard back.

It's entirely possible they just aren't ready to recruit help yet. Or that your e-mail got lost in all their business traffic. Or that they're tired of hearing from people who get into the mood to help, then lose interest.

Or maybe they're just jerks. Only way to find out, ask them again.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby joker » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:50 am

No i'm sure they are not jerks, In fact a met a couple at nakakon, thats why i thought i would write.

I'm sure that the email just got lost in the shuffle, just saying though that free support is something that I think should be taken advantage of whenever possible.

But definately going to be there. I would love to have a "nakakon" in the summer right next door to me.
joker
Anime Enthusiast

Postby ca_jas » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:55 am

They have a circle of friends who having been running things for a while and they don't really want to change that. I've been desperate to get an artist table there but it's not possible unless I win the art contest. I would guess it's common with small cons
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby Tsunami3k » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:09 pm

Man, I never knew their artists alley spots were so sparse. Is this the same place as they held it their first year? If so then I know it's a bit tight but I figured established artists wouldn't have to jump through such hoops.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby joker » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:47 pm

no they moved it to the holiday inn. near the stadium. But i thought artists paid for tables anyway. its not first come first serve?
joker
Anime Enthusiast

Postby ca_jas » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:22 pm

You pay for a table but you also gotta get in good with the family to ever get one, so to speak. They have a waiting list but it's like 3 years long.
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby Kokon Tozai » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:37 am

I keep looking for the final schedule for MOTAKU.... they have a post that makes you you think it's a schedule as of April. But PDF props show it was created on July 21st so it's at least that current.

http://motaku.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Programming-Schedule.pdf

I can't be there Friday but I'll be there early Saturday. See ya there!
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Next

Return to Event Discussion