What I'm watching

Talk about a specific anime series or genre that you enjoy.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

What I'm watching

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:46 pm

Playing Tales of Xillia 2 has me behind on several shows. Here is what I am working on (I mainly watch current simulcasts on CR or Funi)

Your lie in April- started this after hearing glowing reviews of it at Naka-kon. It is about a boy who was a genius pianist as a child, but quit playing because of family issues. Fast forward a few years and he meets a super talented and wild violinist. She drags him kicking and screaming back into the classical music world. The show really tugs at the heart strings a lot, but is a great romantic drama besides the overcoming adversity aspect. The violinist likes his best friend, and there may be unrequited love from his childhood friend. The animation from A-1 is top notch (although the character designs are a little off to me), the drama is to the max, and the characters all seem believable in their flaws and struggles. I highly recommend this to fans of Nodame Cantabile, Clannad, White Album, AnoHana and other romantic dramas. Really the show is almost flawless. 22 episodes on CR. 8.68/10 on mal, 4.5/5 anime-planet, 8.4/10 Ann

Assassination Classroom- Currently airing on FUNimation.com is a comedy about a powerful alien who is going to destroy the planet unless a class of misfits can kill him. Oh, did I mention he is also their teacher? And that he can move at mach speed? Hilarity and great teaching ensue. Its like someone took stand and deliver and replaced him with the predator, but he is still a great teacher, and they are starting to overtake the smarter classes, much to the chagrin of the evil principal, who keeps this misfit class E as an object of ridicule for the other classes. Do well in class or you will end up in class E. And it has a very catching opening song

Junketsu no Maria- The story about a witch in midevil France, who hates war, and uses her powers to break up battles between France and England. This causes her to run afoul of the local religious authorities, mercenary companies, and the archangel Michael who seem to prefer noninterference, unless it comes to interfering with Maria's interference. Also currently on FUNimation. This was the best show I was watching, until I started watching before Your Lie in April. Best current season show that didn't carry over from the fall.

Shirobako- An anime about five girls who made a pact to someday make their own anime. Now they all work in the industry. One of the more prominent characters is a production assistant for a small animation company. Its a great slice of life show with animation by PA Works (Iroha, Angel Beats, True Tears). If you have seen/read Bakuman, or are curious about how anime gets made, you will enjoy this. It's really great to see the characters learn new things and overcome hardships. And they have a great rallying cry about donuts :lol: Airing on CR, 22 episodes out so far

Saekono: How to raise a boring girlfriend- An interesting harem anime about an otaku guy who wants to make the ultimate dating sim. He enlists the help of several friends, including an artist who happens to be a very popular doujin artist, a famous author, and plain old Megumi who isn't really an otaku and knows very little about dating sims. All of them of course are his classmates, and possibly are love interests. Megumi is my favorite girl in this show, she really grounds the show because she is so nonchalant about everything. She is the main character in their dating sim. It's nothing original, but is a nice take on the harem genre. Don't be scared off by the first episode, it is pretty ecchi and seems to be set long after the rest of the series, and has an additional character yet to be introduced that is some kind of famous musician. You can probably even skip it all together and go back and watch it after the rest of the series. Airing on CR

Parasyte-the maxim- Based on an early 90's manga, the main character is invaded by a parasitic alien, but instead of taking his brain and getting full control of his body, he traps it in his arm. Now, he meets other people who have been taken over by the aliens, and of course they try to kill him. Pretty violent show, and a good scifi. If you liked sci-fi movies like The Puppet Masters, or Phantasm, you might like this show. Airing on CR.

Yurikuma- from the director of Utena and Penguindrum, comes a show about bears...bears who shapeshift *magical girl transformation?) into humans...and are into yuri...but bears are also carnivores, so they sometimes eat after eating out :lol: . A very odd show, about bear on girl love at an all girl school. The school is sorrounded by a huge wall that was erected to keep the bears out after the great war with the bears (yes, there was a war between humans and bears, don't question it). There is this bear court (with the honorable judge Life Sexy, the prosecutor Life Cool, and defender Life Beauty) that seems to decide wether a bear can cross over the wall to find love. Kuma Shock, has to be one of the cutest and strangest catch phrases in anime.
Last edited by ZeroRyoko1974 on Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Re: What I'm watching

Postby bakamatt » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:50 am

I'm pretty stuck on Your Lie in April too, though it's nothing like my usual fare. Agreed, the character design takes some getting used to. And I love the first opening, song and animation. The last episode becomes available tonight?
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:17 am

I thought it was, but when I finished ep 21, it said it wasn't available for 16 more hours. Looks currently according to their home page, it will be available at about 2PM. I wish it was a little earlier, I would watch it on my lunch break
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:07 am

Watched the final episode. I predicted what would happen to Kaori from the first episode, still didn't make it any less sad. This was such a great show, haven't marathoned a show like that in awhile, just started watching it Monday. Would have finished on Wednesday if the last episode was available. I gave it a 9/10. My only beefs, were Kaori's fate was to predictable
Spoiler: show
(especially if you seen Clannad)
, his abusive mother seemed to be handled pretty nonchalant, and I didn't like some small things with the character designs. These were minor things overall, and I gave it a score of 9/10
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:08 am

It was an unconventionally structured last episode, too: the first 45% dedicated to one thing, the second 45% to another, and the last 10% to other stuff.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:55 am

Watched the 24th episode of Log Horizon 2. Much of the episode (like the show) was kind of boring, but ended well with Shirou deciding he was going to have his cake and eat it to. Next episode should be good, but this series seems to really flounder in the 2nd half, in both seasons. My understanding also, is that it is caught up with the existing light novels, so no season 3 is likely anytime soon

Ep 23 of Shirobako reviled the last episode of Your Lie in April in emotional impact for a completely different reason. One of the main characters finally gets her big break, and it leaves her friend (and many viewers) in tears. Also some great moment of comeuppance for a certain editor who was doing everything in his power to prevent the anime studio from talking to the manga creator. Great episode overall, and this show keeps getting better every episode

Ep 11 of Durarararararararararararax2 had a pretty good fight between the biker club leader and Dota-chin. It was only really a close fight because the biker club guy had a runin with Shizuo a couple of episodes ago, or it would have been pretty one sided. Overall, this isn't a bad sequel or anything, it just doesn't feel as exciting as the first season.

Ep 11 KanColle- this show has been plodding along in mediocrity, but at least seems to be building up the last couple of episodes to an exciting finish. A show about ship girls fighting alien ship girls is not surprisingly kind of not exciting when they rarely fight.

Inferno Cop- saw this at the CR panel at Naka-kon. To call it anime is a bit of a stretch, as it is barely animated. One important lesson to be learned from the first episode, is if you download illegal anime inferno cop will run you over and your car will explode.

Donyatsu- Also saw this at CR panel. Post apocalyptic world inhabited by anthropomorphic donuts and other baked goods. Yes, you read that correctly, and yes it is about as exciting as that sounds. Maybe have a couple, or a lot of drinks before hand to make it more exciting, although episode 5 has an interesting development...... http://www.crunchyroll.com/donyatsu/epi ... ion-669785

Gourmet Girl Grafitti- A slice of life show, in the cute girls doing cute things subgenre. What cute thing do they do, you might ask? They eat food. Much attention and detail is put into the animation for the eating parts, which makes it very weird to watch
It also has cute chibi dancing next episode previews
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:06 am

Finished GITS Arise. I still don't care for the change in the Major's character design, but it was tolerable by the end. Was a pretty good prequal story, and I liked the show overall because the story was a lot of fun to watch. I am curious what they are going to do with the upcoming movie and arise remake/tv series, My favorite moments in this were the little interarctions between Batou and Katsuragi
especially when she punches him out for challenging her leadership position, or makes him punch himself in the face whenever he gives her crap
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:57 pm

Last episode of Saekono, we were introduced to Aki-kun's couisin who is trying to get her band off the ground. She has no interest in otaku, but it turns out the band she was trying to get going, is made up of otaku, and only did anime covers. In the latest episode, we are treated to a familier song if you are a TTGL fan
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:05 am

Finished Shirobako, which had a wonderful final couple of episodes, and a great overall show. There is hardly a character in the show that is unlikable, and it was really great to see the five main girls get to work together on the same project at the end. Really loved this show, gave it a 9/10.

Another completed show, Akame Ga Kill. A hyper violent action series, with enough character deaths to make George R. R. Martin blush.
It gave a different ending then the manga apparently (didn't read), and that made a lot of people mad. Tends to wander at times from what little plot there was. I enjoyed it overall, and gave it a 7/10
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:01 pm

Finished Yuri Kuma. What an odd show, but what else would you expect from Ikuhara Kunihiko (Utena and Penguindrum)? I didn't really dislike the show, but it never did enough to make me really like it either. I gave it a 6/10. Penguindrum was a better show
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:38 pm

Shokugeki no Soma- Wasn't sure what to expect after a tentacle rape five minutes into the show. Super ecchi shonen cooking school battles

Is it wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon (I don't see any problems with it personally)- was a pretty good fantasy show with a nice bit of fan service as well. I liked the I'm not a Saber clone girl, she was pretty hot. And the dude who voices Accelerator was in this episode. Totally dig that guys voice. The main character has a skill that increases his stats based on his feelings for a girl, which is a pretty sweet hack
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:57 pm

Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan is such a departure from all previous Haruhi material, it almost seems wrong having Haruhi characters in it. Doesn't help that it is not Kyoto Animation. Although, Ryoko (stilll seems to have a deviousness and exceptional kitchen knife wielding skills) seems to be mostly the same and Tsuruya and Mikuru make an appearance. I had to double check to even be sure it was the same voice actress. It wasn't a terrible first episode as far as romantic comedies go, just feels weird that it is Haruhi characters.

Gunslinger GIrl Infinite Stratos 8 was not very good. Very uneven animation, which is a surprise, since A1 typically does great work. The magical world hierarchy keeping a talented student was kind of interesting in Mahouka, but just seems like a poor excuse to create drama here. The zapped to an alternate timeline/world has been done to death as well. I don't have high hopes of getting past more then a couple of episodes of this.

Re-Kan- I see dead people...and can talk to cats. Well, that is an interesting talent.

Plastic Memories- Androids with an artificial "soul" but they only live for like nine years and then have to be factory reset and erased of any previous memories or personality. Kind of reminded me of Mahoromatic, only kind of melancholy. The main character gets a job at the retrieval department, whose job it is, is to get the owners permission to kill their beloved android. One thing that kind of made me wonder about the first episode, is that the android manufacturer seems to be pretty huge, and yet this retrival department is only a handful of people, and they admittedly only cover a few cases a week. Seems like if all the androids have the exact same life span, there would be a more thriving business of retrieving them. The first episode did give us a particularly funny moment when they are trying to bring in an android

Seems like they could go a few different ways. They could go the route of make the best memories with Isla before she dies, or the main character can question why she has to die, and find a way around having her mind wiped. Or the likely scenario with most anime, goof around for most of the series, maybe have a beach episode, and in the last couple of episodes make half assed attempt at a sorta ending and hope the Blu Rei sales are good enough for a second season and the merchandising goes well.

Show by Rock- When I was watching K-on, I was thinking to myself...self, this isn't moe enough. What it really needs is Hello Kitty style mascots, and catgirls, and musically themed battles with giant monsters. Actually, I didn't think any of those things, and nobody should have, but they did, and so we have an anime based on a Sanrio music rhythm game, and Sanrio's first attempt at capturing the male otaku demographic.

The Heroic Legend of Arslan- Pretty cool fantasy piece, remake of an early 90's OVA of the same name (or Arislan if you have the CPM release). Arslan is the prince of a great and prosperous kingdom. Someday, he will inherit the throne, of course, this will be sooner rather then later, or it wouldn't be a very epic fantasy. I really like the look and feel of this show, and I think it will probably be the best show this season
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:18 am

ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:Or the likely scenario with most anime, goof around for most of the series, maybe have a beach episode, and in the last couple of episodes make half assed attempt at a sorta ending and hope the Blu Rei sales are good enough for a second season and the merchandising goes well.

*snort* Too true.

The Heroic Legend of Arslan- Pretty cool fantasy piece, remake of an early 90's OVA of the same name (or Arislan if you have the CPM release). Arslan is the prince of a great and prosperous kingdom. Someday, he will inherit the throne, of course, this will be sooner rather then later, or it wouldn't be a very epic fantasy. I really like the look and feel of this show, and I think it will probably be the best show this season

I was wondering about that "Arslan/Arislan" thing.

I've picked up the manga several times, re-learning each time that it was by the creator of Full Metal Alchemist, and put it back. If, at some point, it emerges that the title is less rough than FMA, please let me know.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:28 pm

Not sure what you mean by less rough. I think FMA's creator just did the illustrations for the Arslan manga. From what I read, the Arislan thing was at the request of the Japanese licensors of CPM. I don't know the circumstances on how CPM got it midseries from Manga Inc.
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:19 am

I couldn't handle the way FMA whipsawed between silly and grim, or forgive that tragic event near the middle. Tim presented a convincing rational for it, but I still couldn't deal.

If if's just drawn by the guy, that might be okay.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Next

Return to Anime Discussions