What I'm Watching

Talk about a specific anime series or genre that you enjoy.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

Re: What I'm Watching

Postby Tsunami3k » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:36 pm

Wow, that's great. I just added pretty much the whole Kurosawa catalog to my Amazon wishlist not long after Naka. Someday I will own more than just Samurai 7 Seven Samurai.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:52 pm

I've finally seen The Wind Rises and The Tale of Princess Kaguya, both via Netflix DVD.

Of the former, I'll say that it looks to me like Miyazaki got his mojo back, that this was something he wanted to do. I liked it, but don't anticipate buying it.

Of the latter, it was a joy to look at throughout, but it was, I think, too Japanese for me to really appreciate.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:02 pm

There was a guy behind the counter at the Oak Park Panera today that could have cosplayed Gendo Ikari without breaking a sweat. He had the fringe-beard-no-mustache; that was what I noticed first. Then, as I looked at the guy, holy crap, he looks like Gendo! I was tempted to ask if anyone had ever mentioned it, but decided that was a little weirder than I was in the mood to be.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:08 pm

I was in a liquor store at 75th and Troost, and some guy was looking ay my Hellsing shirt because he thought it was Attack on Titan. He asked if I knew when season 2 was coming out. I told him probably next year. You find anime in the strangest of places.
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:09 pm

bakamatt wrote:There was a guy behind the counter at the Oak Park Panera today that could have cosplayed Gendo Ikari without breaking a sweat. He had the fringe-beard-no-mustache; that was what I noticed first. Then, as I looked at the guy, holy crap, he looks like Gendo! I was tempted to ask if anyone had ever mentioned it, but decided that was a little weirder than I was in the mood to be.

You could have opted to take the roundabout approach: "Do you look like that while you're on the crapper too!?"
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:38 am

As mentioned in Shawn's "What I'm Watching," I'm still quite high on Gate, the high-spirited show about the JSDF repelling an invasion into Japan by an army from a fantasy world. Since it's being posted one episode per week on Crunchyroll, I've used up all the available episodes.

So I decided to try Actually, I Am..., a recent entry in the "monster high school" genre that's so big these days. It's visibly low-budget, and the style of character design has yet to grow on me, but I'm getting from one to several laughs, plus multiple chuckles, per episode. It's actually kind of low-key, by the standards of the genre, and relies much more on fun writing than skin - although I suspect that may change with the eventual introduction of another character we see in the credits. I couldn't tell you why, but I think the sequence that got the biggest laugh out of me was in the second episode, a series of characters giving those little "eh?" questioning noises because they're startled - not drawn out "eeeehh?!", but just "eh?" I think it was the restraint when I was expecting hysteria that made it funny for me. This show is also getting posted one episode per week.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:28 am

The character you see in the credits is
Spoiler: show
a wolf childhood friend. She is a super horny hottie normally, who turns into this pointy toothed "wolf" dude
:? :lol: Speaking of odd character designs, have you watched any of God Eater? I really wanted to watch it because I have a figure from the show, but it uses a weird kind of CG cel shading that just bugs me. If you get back on a SOL kick, you should try Non Non Byori, or Kiniro Mosaic. And one other thing, if you want more monster girls, check out Monster Musume, it's quite a bit more ecchi then Actually, I am a... but I think it's pretty funny
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:29 am

I got the impression there was a character who
sex-changed; I assumed he/she was a succubus/incubus.

I seem to be out of my slice-of-life phase. I tried the manga and watched the first episode of Non Non Byori, but can't say it did very much for me.

(I should say, out except that I'm going to go on following the manga version of Your Lie in April.)

I figured to try the Monster Musume anime some day. I've picked up the manga a half dozen time at B&N, and always put it back, but this could be a title where the cartoon works better for me than the comic.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:13 am

Still okay with Actually, I Am.... It's circumventing the expected stereotypes enough to be fun and make it possible to ignore the low budget.

I just finished Gate episode 10. (Which was posted a day late! :cry: ) I'm just enjoying the hell out of that show's laughs and action. We get a new variation on the "everyone falls down because they got an unexpected answer to a question" trope, one that ends up
with guns pointed.
And Kuribayashi
hijacking her sister's broadcast
was a hoot too. The show has completely overcome my initial antipathy to Rory; at this point she's my favorite of the Special Region girls. (Though that might be because they've done so little with Lelei and Tuva, and Pina's too unhappy with the situation to be fun.) Kuribayashi in civvies is way cute, too. The only lack I'm feeling with the series is the fact that Special Region magic just isn't making very much difference; it ought to be much more of a problem for the mighty, do-no-wrong JSDF, and more of a matter of interest to the government. But that's a minor complaint; unless the wheels totally fall off, which I'm not anticipating, Gate is a buyer for sure, given the chance.

Speaking of which, it looks like the first of my "watched it on Crunchyroll then bought it" titles is going to be Arpeggio of Blue Steel.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:18 pm

The author of Gate I guess is a big right wing pro military guy from what I have heard. It kind of reflects in the show, but I guess the manga/light novel (I am not sure which is the source) is much more prevelent. I guess taken from the views of the author it's not surprising the SDF has no problems, and the politicians are all evil. And it's good to see you have come around on best girl Rory :lol:
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Delightfulqt » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:06 am

bakamatt wrote:Still okay with Actually, I Am.... It's circumventing the expected stereotypes enough to be fun and make it possible to ignore the low budget.

I'm watching this show weekly. Apart from the show where
they had to make chocolate to stop the world from ending
i really enjoy it!
Delightfulqt
Anime Fan

Postby bakamatt » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:14 am

My brain seem to be turning to mush with approaching senility; I'm running almost exclusively to fluffy adventure shows these days. Not satisfied with DanMachi and Gate, I've started watching the very vanilla Rokka as well.

I'm a bit interested to see what seems to be a fad for rabbit girls; we had one make a brief appearance in Gate, and now one as a main character in Rokka. I can't say I think they'll ever replace cat girls in the long run, though.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Delightfulqt » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:13 pm

bakamatt wrote:My brain seem to be turning to mush with approaching senility; I'm running almost exclusively to fluffy adventure shows these days. Not satisfied with DanMachi and Gate, I've started watching the very vanilla Rokka as well.

I'm a bit interested to see what seems to be a fad for rabbit girls; we had one make a brief appearance in Gate, and now one as a main character in Rokka. I can't say I think they'll ever replace cat girls in the long run, though.

NOTHING CAN REPLACE THE NEKO.
also, i love fluff shows. After long days of assisting others, sometimes I just need brain bleach. It's lovely. That particular episode just seemed, extra fluffy to me.
Delightfulqt
Anime Fan

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:16 pm

Rokka is pretty though. A little air of mystery at times.
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:23 am

Based on a little peeking ahead I've done, I may decide that Rokka has too much mystery. But it is indeed pretty, and the second episode ends on a nice cliffhanger.

Watched Actually, I Am... episode 10 this morning. Once again, one really good laugh out of it: the sequence at the end where everyone was frantically trying to
distract
each other.

As nice as it is to be able to marathon stuff, this business of having to wait a week for each episode - which, of course, was the only way I watched TV until we could afford a VCR - is fun too. It's nice to have that tiny thrill when you realize it's time for another episode to be posted.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

PreviousNext

Return to Anime Discussions