supporting characters that should have been main characters

Talk about a specific anime series or genre that you enjoy.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

supporting characters that should have been main characters

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:31 pm

An online poll in Japan wanting to know which supporting characters should be main characters. Top 20 female supporting characters who should have been the lead character.

1. Kuroko Shirai (To Aru Series) (yes, and it would be a Yuri show)

2. Mami Tomoe (Madoka Magica) (since Homura is a lead character for most of the show, and the movie, this would make for an awesome show if Mami was lead)

3. Vi Graythorn (Detective Conan)

4. Charlotte Dunois (Infinite Stratos) (she was the only reason the first season was watchable)

5. Ui Hirasawa (K-ON!) (We need a 3rd season of K-ON with azu-nyan and Ui as the stars)

6. Kuroneko (Ore no Imouto) (Oh God yes, show would have been so much better)

7. Kagura (Gintama)

8. Krista Lenz (Shingeki no Kyojin) (you spelled Potato Girl wrong)

9. Shinka Nibutani (Chuunibyou) (Would make for a cool prequeal about her Mori Summer years)

10. Ruiko Saten (To aru Majutsu no Index) (Saten definately needs her own spinoff )

11. Azusa Nakano (K-ON!) (See Ui, her and Azu-nyan should be stars of their own season)

12. Yukiho Kousaka (Love Live!)

13. Chino Kafuu (Gochuumon wa Usagi desu ka?) (her and the rabbit)

14. Nico Yazawa (Love Live!)

15. Suzuha Kirigaya (Sword Art Online) (No, worst parts of SAO were centered around her. Silica or the blacksmith girl would be better choices from that show)

16. Touka Kirishima (Tokyo Ghoul) (She kind of already is a main character, but it would be cool if she was the main character)

17. Miki Sayaka (Madoka Magica) (You spelled Kyouko wrong)

18. Mikuru Asahina (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya) (Mikuru's time travel adventures would be fun)

19. Erza Scarlett (Fairy Tail)

20. Tomoyo Daidouji (Cardcaptor Sakura) (It would be a show about her dressing up Sakura and filming it. Wait, it is already about that)

Couple of others I would consider would be Ushio and Fuko from Clannad; Rika or alternatively Kobato and Maria from Haganai
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Re: supporting characters that should have been main charact

Postby Tsunami3k » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:00 pm

#2 would be excellent in my book. While I do love Saber, I'd be sorely tempted to nominate Rin Tohsaka as the Fate/Stay Night lead.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:35 pm

The new f/an has been way more Rincebtric and has been great. Get rid of Shirou andjust have Rin. Kiyone and Miyoshi would have great in their own show
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:02 am

I'm not knee-jerking any candidates; I'll have to think about it.

But it's not quite a fair question. Like any popular medium, anime is quite conservative and has clearly defined responsibilities for main characters versus supporting characters. In particular, while there are exceptions, mains are expected to be not-too-colorful, unless the colorful-ness of the main is a defining characteristic of the show - a lot of rom-coms fall into that category, ordinary guy and flamboyant girl. Mains are limited on how many and how serious their flaws and failures can be. And, much too often, mains are obliged to end up in some degree of romantic relationship.

Whereas supporting characters can be and do pretty much anything that serves the story. It's no wonder that mains often suffer by comparison.

I'm thinking this list is a deal closer to being "supporting characters we like", rather than ones who really could carry a series. Supporting characters are often defined by one or two quirks that are entertaining in small doses but might grow tedious when the character was expected to sustain major roles in every episode. As I suggested in my Chaika the Coffin Princess, review, Chaika starts out as a really fun character but eventually kind of runs out of steam. Had she been a supporting character it would have been easy to wish she'd get her own series, but the evidence suggests it wouldn't have worked as well as one might hope.

Saten? Get real - boring!
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:03 pm

Other thoughts:

I've been kind of interested in the main character/supporting character dynamic for a long time, though I won't claim to have made a study of it.

I expect a definition might be in order though, as usual, it'll need some wiggle room and be a definition by description, which is often a lame way to do it. A character is "main" when the story is about them; "supporting" when everything they do that matters is related to a main. It's probably the case that a supporting character could be replaced by a radically different character without substantially damaging the story. It's probably the case that a supporting character doesn't appear in entire episodes.

Obviously, there are exceptions, particularly to the "time onscreen" metric. I don't think anyone would claim that
Spoiler: show
Kamina
isn't a main character in Gurren Lagann.

But I think it's fair to say that, for example, everyone in Outlaw Star is a supporting character except Gene and Melfina, even Jim. And by that token, I wouldn't describe either Rin or Mami as supporting. The story about them too; they're both mains. In my beloved Patlabor, practically everyone is a main.

So, of the characters on the list that I recognized, I'll agree that Kuroneko from Oreimo is a supporting character that I might like to see get a shot at at least a short series.

Haganai is kind of a strange case. Yozora and Sena look like mains, but I wouldn't say so. (Harem members rarely are.) Rika is kind of a "stealth main" - she demands more from and gets more out of the club than anyone else, but does most of it in the background. She's all over Kodaka, but mostly because he's handy, not because she really cares about him,
Spoiler: show
until near the end of the second season.

The joke answer to who I'd like to see become what tvtropes calls an "Ascended Extra": Excalibur, of course, from Soul Eater.

Serious answers: Kittan and the other Black Siblings from Gurren Lagann, and almost any of the other Soul Eater student teams besides the big three.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:29 pm

The best parts or Oreimo are when Kirino runs off to america, and Kuroneko essentially becomes a main character. I guess you could argue though that only kyouske was a main character and kirino was just another supporting character. I would very happy with a show about Kuroneko or Saori and her old anime club. Really, aren't we all just waiting for an Ayase yandere ova were she flips out and kills kyouske?
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Return to Anime Discussions