GitS ARISE, Best Buy, Jordan

Talk about a specific anime series or genre that you enjoy.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

GitS ARISE, Best Buy, Jordan

Postby Kokon Tozai » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:56 pm

Earlier today I discovered that Ghost in the Shell Arise: Borders 1 & 2 on Blu-rei is available at Best Buy for a very reasonable $22.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage. ... &keys=keys

I was also looking for Snowpiercer on Blu-rei & they had that too for only $15. If you are unfamiliar with that title it would be good to start here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/13544/snowpiercer.html

So anyway after work I went into Best Buy at 117th Metcalf. Because GitS ARISE is anime it was nowhere to be found in the anime section. I could not locate Snowpiercer either. After a bit I flaaged down a guy to help me out. He had heard of neither but when I told him Ghost in the Shell was anime he said “you watch anime? Really?” Yeah I do. Then he seemed determined to find it. He poked around like I did & eventually looked on his computer. He seemed new as he asked another employee to help him out. It showed that they had nine copies in stock. And then he started on a search again. He said “you ever watch any new anime?” and then recommended Knights of Sidonia. Really! I just checked this out & I never knew Netflix has created original anime. Best tip I ever had from a Best Buy employee!

I asked he had ever been to Naka-Kon. He was pre-registered for ‘15 his first one. Wooo sez I bring some money hope to see you there.

Then after more digging he found Snowpiercer. But he asked me about ARISE. He had never heard of Ghost in the Shell, or Evangelion but Cowboy Bebop was recognized.

This was food for thought on the way home. I think that generationally anime has reached the point that it no longer depends on the old school classics as a base. Sad in a way. But how many kids today watching Frozen know anything about Steam Boat Willie? My own daughters have never listened to a Beatles album (although they sort of know who they are) and that doesn’t stop them from enjoying music of their own lives. It is very rewarding to explore creative expression from any time period but impossible to enjoy all of it. As Kurt Vonnegut would simply say: “and so it goes.”

The guy at Best Buy was named Jordan. Say hello to him if you get a chance.
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Re: GitS ARISE, Best Buy, Jordan

Postby Tsunami3k » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:12 pm

So I just saw Snowpiercer (not anime) on a big display at Barnes and Noble tonight when scoping out the figures that Matt mentioned. I had never heard of it before but I figured it must be something big budget to get a display like that. I still have no clue what it is but I look forward to any mini-review you might have for it.

If I'm at that BB, I'll make a point to say hi to Jordan. It's kinda bizarre how scattershot ones exposure can be to it now. I'm still boggled at how many people comment about my Attack on Titan hoodie, the most recent and surprising being one of the day managers at Barley's.

The marketing is a bit of spun nonsense but Knights of Sidonia wasn't created by Netflix; they do, however, have exclusive streaming rights for it currently. If you recall that trippy and largely incoherent anime we watched right after Cat Soup called Blame, that's the same creator. That's not to say that Knights is destined to be confusing (the Blame manga is reportedly understandable whereas the fragment that made it to DVD [actually an ONA] is just that, a small piece of the middle of the narrative). If you liked Blame's very distinct style then Knights of Sidonia is sure to please. I suspect that if it gets a good following then another manga by the same author called Biomega will get the anime treatment.

BTW, I think Bebop qualifies as "old school" at this point seeing as how it's old enough to drive a car! 0.0
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:14 am

I noticed last night that Snowpiercer (which, from what I heard a few weeks ago, sounds kind of interesting and kind of ham-handed) is available for streaming on Netflix.

Come to think of it, it might be kind of handy to have some kind of nomenclature to identify various periods in the history of anime in America. Something kind of like the "Golden Age/Silver Age/recent" chronology of American comic books. To a certain extent you could do it by calendar decades: anime released here in the sixties, seventies, eighties, certainly the nineties, etc., were all, I think, distinct enough for the labels to have some meaning.

I suspect we're moving into a period where awareness of anime's existence as a discrete medium is becoming blurred; almost every young person has seen and liked some, but rather than put it in the "anime box" it just goes in the "cool show" box along with domestic titles. Which is a good thing if it gets us away from the "giant robots, magic girls, and tentacles" stereotype. But it's sad for we who cherish what is special and unique about it.

It also occurs to me that we'll soon be seeing second-generation anime fans, kids whose parents were into it too. What might come from that, who knows?

Very thought-provoking thread.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:37 am

Knights of Sidonia was not created by Netflix, they just have the streaming rights. It aired normally, and is produced by some CGI studio Polygon pictures. I saw the first episode, and the CGI was so obtrusive and ugly, I couldn't deal with it
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:00 pm

Oh and the GitS:Arse is the new domestic release rather than the import which is why it's so profoundly more affordable and it has a dub. I hope the domestic release sells like crazy so Funi can have stats that show affordability makes for a couple/few magnitudes greater sales.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:45 pm

Tsunami3k wrote:GitS:Arse

*snicker*
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Return to Anime Discussions