A little air time, but not any help

Talk about a specific anime series or genre that you enjoy.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

A little air time, but not any help

Postby bakamatt » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:42 am

Yesterday evening's All Things Considered on NPR did a story about the challenge Hallowe'en costume sellers have trying to guess what's going to be big in autumn when they're placing their orders in the summer. They asked one seller if he'd ever bet big on the wrong subject, and he said last year he though anime was going to be big, but it turned out everyone actually wanted Breaking Bad. Game of Thrones is still going strong,too.

As always in such instances, I was curious to see if the interviewer felt any need to clarify what "anime" was for the audience. In this instance, not.

(This year the guy's buying big into Frozen, which certainly seems like a no-brainer to me.)

Way back, when I and a couple of long-departed but missed members were deciding what to call this silly thing, we settled on Anime Society of Kansas City. (I wanted "Heartland Anime Institute", but got shouted down. Get it? "HAI"?) Even then, askc.com had already been snagged - at the time it was a martial arts dojo in Scotland, now it's something else that the filter at work is blocking. Also back then and to this day, askc.org remains the Astronomy Society of Kansas City. And they're currently sponsoring Morning Edition on NPR, which means every morning I'm referred to "askc.org", which startles me every time I hear it.

Then the situation got even worse when Alex called his store "Anime Source Kansas City".
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Re: A little air time, but not any help

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:55 pm

Hai Matt, let it go :lol:
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:09 pm

Even after it was explained to me, I never really got the "in joke" with ASK-C. Yeah, "C" was the mascot and....whatever. It was really forced. I like HAI much better if only for the acronym but they're both a bit stuffy for what should be casual first and foremost. I get that anime should be afforded premium status in hearts and minds but it should also be accessible. I suppose it's probably easier to say after the fact when fandom (and arguably much of the content) has drifted far more towards casual consumption and further away from thoughtful introspection.

Anyway, I do like HAI...if only it stood for Happy Anime Inferno or something. ;D
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Kokon Tozai » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:25 am

Yeah the proliferation of confusingly similar names is pretty common. Your comments bring to mind about 100 years ago when I was a a pro commercial photographer. Advertising & visual communications was soaring in this town with a large base of support color labs, sep houses, retouchers, etc. Just off the top of my head real names I remember is Custom Color Corporation, Creative Color Corporation, Media Graphics, Graphic Media, Color Graphics, Chroma Graphics, Image Point & Image Pro. Think of the crazy domain names if the WWW had been in use back then.

I like the HAI label much better. This is the first time I heard of an alternate choice. Yeah like Tim the "C" mascot thing just doesn't do it for me. Anyway where is a single post by "C" answering a question someone asked? Where is she now? Married & in St Louis? Phhhttt.

The only thing that currently bugs me name wise is the bit of disconnect between URL (animekc) & name (Anime Society of Kansas City). By no means can we be pretentious enough to call what we have a "society" much less an "institute." Maybe at some point in various restructuring we should have just gone all inclusive to Anime KC. Or maybe I should follow Zero's suggestion & just get over it.
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby Tsunami3k » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:18 am

While I may have taken over board maintenance I'd never presume that doing so would grant me any more say than anyone else in the group as far as club changes. I picked a different URL because the original one was under Logtar's control and, with the boards down at the time, I really didn't want to prolong the outage for however long it would take for the domain transfer presuming he was even motivated to do so. The original URL invited confusion as was unintuitive anyway so I simply picked what would get the most hits in a search engine for anyone looking for "anime" and "kc".

That said, a name change is pretty easy. If we want to do a vote for a new name, a new header pic, a different color scheme, a changeover to comic sans, etc. then I welcome anyone to start a suggestion thread to gather ideas and a poll for everyone to vote for their favorite. Lemme know and I'll do what I can to make it happen. Who knows, maybe it would be nice to change things up a little.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:38 pm

I like Happy Anime Inferno :lol: I never really thought much about the name, doesn't mean a whole lot to me, the people in the group are what is important.
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:03 am

I'm just a shred troubled by the direction the thread has taken. To be clear, I was in no way advocating a name change for us, whatever we are. I was simply amused at the way the letters "ASKC" have occasionally shown up in my life.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:05 am

Nothing to be troubled about, I just wanted to make it clear that the option was open should we want to change things up a little, that's all.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Return to Anime Discussions