Steins;Gate

Talk about a specific anime series or genre that you enjoy.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

Steins;Gate

Postby Kokon Tozai » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:21 pm

Having poked around the forums I see only small random posts about Steins; Gate. That includes me that predicted elsewhere that show would be a huge cosplay hit it at Naka-Kon 2012. It wasn’t. The group is really quite good & only requires a T shirt & white lab coat to play the main character, Rintarō Okabe aka Okarin.

There’s a huge amount of info on this series on the net so much if you read half of it you may not feel the need to actually watch the show. Ok so, I love stories about invisibility, Frankenweenies, time travel. For time travel fiction I love how they tie up story lines between past, present & future. Sometimes not so good, other time strongly captivating. Steins; Gate is the latter. It’s been a long time since I really looked forward to carving out must have viewing time, must see what happens next. Where Gankutsuou truly captivated me some time ago for visual energy, I’d say S;G is very attractive too but the geekeiest of geeky anime I have ever seen. It has been streaming here & there but I’d really suggest going for the Blu-rei. TRSI has a good price. I think this is excellent entertainment but maybe you should do a little research in a different way before you watch it. If you don’t you’ll just sit down & surf the web while viewing just to keep up with what’s happening.

So where to start? With John Titor, of course.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Titor

How crazy & wonderful that an anime series should draw inspiration from American usenet newsgroup postings about time travel.

And then there’s the IBN, I mean IBM 5100 PC:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_5100

Something I never heard of before this show. Just amazing how far we’ve come & look! There’s even a commercial for it:

Maybe like me you are concerned that SERN I mean, CERN is a world power not unlike NERV determined to destroy/save the world. We all know about the Large Haldron Collider but did you know it has it’s roots as far back as 1954? I learned that after watching Steins: Gate.
http://public.web.cern.ch/public/en/About/About-en.html

And never mind about Y2K. Aren't you concerned about the The Unix Millennium Bug (or Y2K38)?
[url]Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/3074397[/url]

But alongside the techno stuff is really good ensemble acting. Characters are introduced in a smooth & good way until the groups is built up. The only character that I really dislike quite a bit is Mayuri Shina. My problem with her is she is supposed to be a former classmate of Okarin but she looks about half his age, acts about half of that but has big Gainax boobs. That stereotype has just worn thin over time with me. She is however a very important aspect in series, esp in 11 to 13. And I know others will love her for the same reasons I don’t care for her. And so dutiful respect:

Okarin & his Future Gadget Lab team lives above a TV repair shop. Really. In fact I have to say that my most favorite minor character goes to Yūgo Tennōji. Yeah he even wears a work apron that says “I Heart CRT”

So grab a can of DK Pepper, I mean DR Pepper, grab a white lab coat & check it out.
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Re: Steins;Gate

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:44 pm

Tu TU Ru! Love that show. Great scifi
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:05 am

Color me intrigued. I'm already a pushover for scifi but I'd be the first to admit that it's rarely executed well. So when it piques the interest of Scott then it's pretty much a must-see in my book since I still find it hard to predict what shows he'll take a liking to. I did see the first couple of episodes at Scott's a while back and it does look to have a very solid start; a nice trickle of to-be-answered mysteries, gloriously implausible pseudoscience (which keeps you guessing for a while as to whether the characters are mental or if they're working with science that's beyond them).

I have the first set on BluRei already. Can't wait until the second one gets here!
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Kokon Tozai » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:06 am

Hey thanks Shawn for "zeroing" in on what bugs me the most about the Mayuri character. At least it looks like those moments only add up to less than 3 mins out of 24 eps.

Tim, we have not watched the first couple of eps. Last time we got together it was so far back it wasn't even on torrent yet. Wonder what you're thinking of?

Everyone calls this show scifi but somehow it doesn't strike me that way. Remember the general rule that if you watch anime about tennis the show is really about anything except tennis? Maye scifi sticks just cuz it's so hard to pin down what it really is.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby Tsunami3k » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:25 pm

And yet I can honestly say I can't think of anywhere else I'd have seen any of it. I remember a microwave and bananas and enthusiastic Scott commentary. I believe it was Motaku Sunday.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby TectonicMuse » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:03 pm

Just finished it this month. Absolutely fantastic.
Would definitely be up for a rewatch if anyone still hasn't seen it.

Scott, I had no idea that the John Titor thing was based on an actual event!
Good find on the 5100 vid as well.
TectonicMuse
Anime Aficionado

Postby Kokon Tozai » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:26 pm

Josh,
glad you like it thanks for the note.
As for a rewatch you might want to check out this as it takes shape:

http://www.animekc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2456&start=30
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby Kokon Tozai » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:05 pm

TM:

Scott, I had no idea that the John Titor thing was based on an actual event!

Yes, and did you know that a time machine / satellite actually crashed in a Akihabara building too?

Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby Tsunami3k » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:55 pm

So I've read up quite a bit on John Titor. I knew a tiny bit of the history but the story integrates with the cloud of lore that surrounds the mythology far more than I'd have ever guessed. I've also researched Nixie tubes to a fair degree; enough to declare a favorite model! Had I the spare cash to indulge in one, I've even tracked down several Nixie tube clocks (finished and kits) that would be neat to use. One even looks very similar to the one in the show (no doubt a product of the gloriously geeky research done by the creators). The show has proven to be the gift that keeps on giving! ;D
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:40 am

Scott's icon nothwithstanding, were there ever alphabetic Nixie tubes?
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:56 am

bakamatt wrote:Scott's icon nothwithstanding, were there ever alphabetic Nixie tubes?

From what I understand there weren't, at least in the expected sense. Some had specific characters whereas other had what we're now familiar with as being segmented displays.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby ca_jas » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:22 pm

Finally finished watching this after hearing the amazing reception for the rest of you guys. I was all over the place on how I felt about the show as it progressed but I ended up completely in love with it!

How can Scott not love "too-too-roo"??? That was the only think that kept me interested in the first 10 episodes haha.
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby Kokon Tozai » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:51 am

ca_jas:
I was all over the place on how I felt about the show as it progressed but I ended up completely in love with it!

There are many anime shows, & entertainment in general, that are really fun the first time watching. Very few that I think I'd want to watch again, say, ten years down the road. S;G is one of those. So glad to hear you liked it too jas!

How can Scott not love "too-too-roo"??? That was the only think that kept me interested in the first 10 episodes haha.

Started off watching this via fan sub... given a choice I usually prefer subs to dubs. And it really did bug me. However I think dubbed dialouge is better/easier in group viewing & that's what we did. Much less grating maybe even endearing. In fact I thought all the voices were very good & fitting to their characters. The dubs are the only way I'd watch this particular series again.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby ca_jas » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:15 pm

Kokon Tozai wrote:Started off watching this via fan sub... given a choice I usually prefer subs to dubs. And it really did bug me. However I think dubbed dialouge is better/easier in group viewing & that's what we did. Much less grating maybe even endearing. In fact I thought all the voices were very good & fitting to their characters. The dubs are the only way I'd watch this particular series again.

Ah, I wish I'd have watched the dubbed version instead of the subbed. It's not bad subbed, I just had issue with the insane amount of English terminologies being thrown around. At that point I might as well have been watching in full English. All except Mayuri whose Japanese voice was smooth on the ears.

Time to watch again in dubbed I guess!
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:37 pm

Kana Hanazawa makes every show is in better
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Next

Return to Anime Discussions