The Ultimate Anime Christmas Episode Guide

Talk about a specific anime series or genre that you enjoy.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

Re: The Ultimate Anime Christmas Episode Guide

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:54 pm

Seems funimation has a few, are they on our list? http://www.funimation.com/blog/?p=3040
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:06 am

Denki-Gai ep 3- Christmas cosplay to sell a bishoujo game, and the employees have a Christmas party at the managers apartment
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby kaworu5 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:02 pm

‘Tis the season yet again!

I think I’ll make it a goal to watch a Christmas themed episode every day until Christmas. Hopefully I’ll make it through the full list in a few years. I’ll keep track of it in this post and maybe post a little bit about the episode.

Polar Bear Café[Ep. 37] - Christmas Planning/Christmas Trouble Currently available on Crunchyroll
Nice and christmasy. It was great to revisit these characters. No need to see the series to watch this episode, but you may not understand the characters well. Perfect for animal lovers.
Rahxephon[Ep. 8] - The Dreaming Stone
0/10 on Xmas scale. A girl crying blood doesn’t exactly get me in the holiday mood. Then again, the show is Rahxephon so I didn’t go into it expecting everyone to make to make a Christmas cake. The episode is more or less stand-alone but requires some knowledge about the characters to understand what’s going on.
Minami-ke(TV)[Ep. 12] - Of Christmas And Eves
Christmas family hijinks. Much like Polar Bear Café, no spoilers but knowledge of the characters enhances the enjoyment of the episode, especially since many of them are hard to gender define.
Toriko[Ep. 86] - Gathering of the Four Kings! A Midwinter Night's Miracle! Currently available on Crunchyroll
Non-traditional Christmas episode but with the feeling. For being a show made in this decade it feels a lot like an old-timey shounen series, cheap animation and all. There didn’t seem to be any spoilers, although I haven’t seen the series, and was at the beginning of an arc.
Toriko[Ep.87] - Merry Feastmas! Gourmet Santa's Present! Currently available on Crunchyroll
Much more standard episode.
Bunny Drop[Bonus Ep. 3.5] - Dear Santa
Very heart-warming. I was great to revisit this show. Would have been better if it was a full episode, though.
Baka to Test to Shōkanjū[ONA] - Baka to Test to Shōkanjū Christmas Special
Small 3 minute special. A nice laugh about the character’s personalities, which is a bit overdone in the series.
(I checked BakaTest ep 8 and it is not Xmas related)
Azumanga Daioh[Ep. 17] - Osaka's Scary Story/Feeling Different/December/Incredible Santa/Christmas Meeting
Revisiting these characters is a joy to anyone that’s seen the show. Although only half the episode focused on Christmas, it has more laughs than most episodes of a standard comedy series.
Devil Lady[Ep. 11] – Box
Horror and Go Nagai don’t naturally go together well with Christmas and this episode is no exception. I’m sure there were some character relationship elements that would have been more understood had I seen the series, but even so it didn’t bring the spirit.
Gintama[Ep. 37] - People Who Say That Santa Doesn't Really Exist Actually Want To Believe In Him Currently available on Crunchyroll
Comedy does seem to suit Christmas specials best. It was a bit heavy on translations to get the jokes across, but it’s good when it hits. Only half of the episode is about Christmas.
Gintama[Ep.200] - Santa Claus Red Is Blood Red Currently available on Crunchyroll
Decent comedy, a bit talky.
Gintama[Ep.201] - Everybody’s a Santa Currently available on Crunchyroll
A good payoff for the other episodes. It’s odd to watch to last episode of a series and not have to know anything about the characters.
Kimi to Boku 2[Ep.2] – Mary’s Christmas Currently available on Crunchyroll
OK light episode that’s some romance and some comedy but not enough to round out a meaningful episode. Contains significant character development.
Kimi to Boku 2[Ep.3] – Very Christmas Currently available on Crunchyroll
Nice light comedy with Christmas hijinks.

Recommended Episodes (no requirement to have seen the series an no spoilers)
Polar Bear Café[Ep. 37]
Minami-ke(TV)[Ep. 12]
Bunny Drop[Bonus Ep. 3.5]
Azumanga Daioh[Ep. 17]
Gintama[Ep. 37]
Gintama[Ep.200]
Gintama[Ep.201]
Last edited by kaworu5 on Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:42 pm, edited 9 times in total.
kaworu5
Anime Enthusiast

Postby Tsunami3k » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:04 am

That sounds awesome. It would be neat to hear of any that you come across any that are really good as stand-alone episodes.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Fri May 01, 2015 6:38 pm

Nisekoi season 2 episode 4 - Mother. (Arguably episode 3 as well, but 4 is where the story really happens.)
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:04 pm

Ore Monogatari (My love story) ep 17- "My Christmas"
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby kaworu5 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:35 pm

I'm starting to watch Christmas episodes again this year. Hopefully I can keep it up until the day. I'll also add a list of new ones to add to the list, which is a pretty great resource as I can't find many/any comprehensive anime Christmas lists around the net.

Toradora![Ep. 17-19] - Mercury Retrogrades at Christmas, Under the Fir Tree, Christmas Eve Festival
This three episode arc is one of the most stand-out Christmas episodes in my mind. It seems that Christmas episodes, much like any other 'blank' episodes for anime (beach, festival, valentine, sports day, etc.) seem to be flashy filler, but this one is a significant turning point in the series. It really does show that Christmas is a romantic holiday in Japan. Also, the insert song in episode 19 "Holy Night" is a great addition to anyone's Xmas anime playlist.
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun [Ep. 10] - Christmas
Nice shojo episode with many relationship spoilers. I think this may be the first Christmas episode I've seen of people going to a KFC store for Christmas chicken. Thought there would be more.
Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi [Ep. 14] - One cannot love and be wise
A middle of the road BL episode with decent Christmas elements. Even though it is episode 14 and has spoilers, it doesn't seem that way because they repeat the same relationship ebb and flow in every Takano/Onodera arc episode.
Himouto! Umaru-chan [Ep. 8] - Umaru and Christmas and New Year's
Not much focus on Xmas, mostly about New Years. I get the appeal of the show but don't understand why it seems to be so popular, at least meme-wise. I guess it's OK for a little sister comedy where he isn't trying to bang her, at least not by the eight episode. Progress banzai!
Excel Saga [Ep. 12] - Big City Part II
Only one or two minutes spent to Christmas. The rest is about detectives. I can't say that spastic comedy creates a nice holiday theme either.
Super Gals! [Ep. 39] - Holy Night! - Ring! Ring! - Emergency Bell of Love!
Overall good Christmas atmosphere. I think there are relationship spoilers, but the series really doesn't focus on those anyway. Possibly the best present exchanging joke I've seen.
Stellvia [Ep. 12] - Confession
There seems to be spoilers in this episodes because there are a lot of scenes I don't understand and this is the only one I've seen. The Christmas party and mall scenes are nice.
Lucky Star [Ep. 11] - The Various Ways for Spending the Holy Night
Only one-fourth of the episode was about Christmas, and those were the only good parts (other than Lucky Channel, which is the best part of the entire series).
Ai Yori Aoshi ~ Enishi [Special] - Beautiful Snow/Miyuki
Great episode. Very nice, light-hearted romantic Christmas. Knowledge of the girls by watching the first series enhances the episodes, but not needed.
Kids on the Slope [Ep.4] - But Not for Me
Even though it had little to no Christmas decor, this was the most heartfelt Christmas episode thus far this year. Well, except for the racist heckling gaijin, unless your family is like that. Major relationship spoilers.
Lupin the Third Part II [Ep.64] - Christmas at Tiffany's
Little Xmas reference. This is the first time I've heard the phrase "Christmas joke" though. Maybe it was a 70's thing. The next episode teaser has a tentacle ripping a girl's clothes off. The holidays can be hell on everyone.
K-On! [Ep. 7] - Christmas!
A great, light-hearted episode with Christmasy imagery and heart.

Recommended Episodes 2015 (no spoilers/requirement to have seen the series)
Super Gals! [Ep. 39] - Holy Night! - Ring! Ring! - Emergency Bell of Love!
Ai Yori Aoshi ~ Enishi [Special] - Beautiful Snow/Miyuki
K-On! [Ep. 7] - Christmas!

List Additions
Polar Bear Café[Ep. 37] - Christmas Planning/Christmas Trouble
Toriko[Ep. 86] - Gathering of the Four Kings! A Midwinter Night's Miracle!
Toriko[Ep.87] - Merry Feastmas! Gourmet Santa's Present!
Baka to Test to Shōkanjū[ONA] - Baka to Test to Shōkanjū Christmas Special
(BakaTest ep 8 is not Xmas related)
Gintama[Ep. 37] - People Who Say That Santa Doesn't Really Exist Actually Want To Believe In Him
Gintama[Ep.200] - Santa Claus Red Is Blood Red
Kimi to Boku 2[Ep.2] – Mary’s Christmas Currently available on Crunchyroll
Kimi to Boku 2[Ep.3] – Very Christmas
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun [Ep. 10] - Christmas
Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi [Ep. 14] - One cannot love and be wise
Himouto! Umaru-chan [Ep. 8] - Umaru and Christmas and New Year's
Kids on the Slope [Ep.4] - But Not for Me
Lupin the Third Part II [Ep.64] - Christmas at Tiffany's
Last edited by kaworu5 on Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 8 times in total.
kaworu5
Anime Enthusiast

Postby Tsunami3k » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:03 pm

Nice additions! Thank you. I need to devote some time towards brushing up the überlist. Gonna get the Tylor eps in this year?
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:24 am

kaworu5 wrote: I guess it's OK for a little sister comedy where he isn't trying to bang her, at least not by the eight episode.

God, are we setting the bar low or what?
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby kaworu5 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:52 pm

Tsunami3k wrote:Gonna get the Tylor eps in this year?

It's on my shortlist. I think it was one of the episodes I showed on the first KUAC Christmas night. Either that or the following year.

bakamatt wrote:
kaworu5 wrote: I guess it's OK for a little sister comedy where he isn't trying to bang her, at least not by the eight episode.

God, are we setting the bar low or what?

Yes, that low. Any series that solely focuses on a little sister living with her brother deserves red flags. I liked it better when people thought anime equated tentacles.
kaworu5
Anime Enthusiast

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:49 am

ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Mon May 23, 2016 10:12 pm

Bakuon ep 8. They have a Christmas party and gift exchange. Also includes a New Years shrine visit in the same episode
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:18 pm

I've [hopefully] got the master list relatively up to date well in advance of the holidays. Enjoy!
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:32 pm

Episode 10 of March comes in like a lion was set at Christmas time, but it doesn't have a lot of Christmas stuff other then mentioning it is Christmas time and the occasional x-Mas tree.

I don't see Itsudatte My Santa! On the list. It is a Christmas themed ova from the creator of Negima and Love Hina
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Kokon Tozai » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:14 pm

Well not directly anime related but definitely Christmas'y and Japan oriented..... I found a good playlist of Japanese Christmas carols on YouTube. Or mainly Western style music sung in Japanese. Still good fun. Been listening to this & tormenting my wife while we get ready for big family get together.

There is also Jin Jin Jingle Bells which I believe is of Japanese otigin. Alas they do not have the best version of the song:

To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

PreviousNext

Return to Anime Discussions