What I'm Watching

Talk about a specific anime series or genre that you enjoy.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

Re: What I'm Watching

Postby bakamatt » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:45 am

My GATE spiffy box thingie arrived yesterday, on schedule.

No buyer's remorse. Blu-Rei and DVD versions, some pretty postcard-sized pictures, a silly flag thing that might look okay in a poster frame. A kind of nifty replica of Rory's halberd that, alas, won't work as a letter opener but should find a place in my decor. A nice patch that I'll probably put on my backpack next to my NERV patch.

And the book, which was what was going to be the make-or-break, is a make. It's a handsome thing, about the size of a paperback but a nice sturdy hardback. The first half is an episode guide, with a couple of liner notes per episode. The second half is the cast guide - quite comprehensive - and lots more liner note-y bits. So if I had to say, would I pay the difference between the box and the vanilla release to get the patch and the book? Yeah, I think so.

Just in skimming it I found some interesting bits. Like, a lot of the vehicles and other equipment the JSDF sends into the Special Region is obsolete or, at least, not current. This was done, not out of concern that the natives would reverse engineer it, but because they feared a hasty retreat might oblige them to abandon it and they didn't want to lose the expensive stuff. I.e., even with something as potentially earth-shaking as the Gate, the bureaucracy still pinched pennies.

I also found out something I'd been wondering about, the ranks of everyone in Itami's squad. My waifu Kuribayashi is a "1st Sergeant", which I might guess, since they also have "Sergeants", is the equivalent to our Staff Sergeant, but she doesn't seem to have that kind of responsibility, so I assume their ranks work differently than ours. It may be one of those "honorary rank" things, if the members of a reconnaissance square aren't in the regular chain of command.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:20 am

I've kind of gotten into Recommendation of the Wonderful Virtual Life, a.k.a. Netojuu no Susume, a.k.a. Recovery of an MMO Junkie. It's not your typical cast (somewhat older); nor, mercifully, is it another "trapped in an MMO" story. More like "trapped in the real world". For a while the dynamic was players realizing they knew each other in real life; just now it's become
Spoiler: show
players getting which real world person is who confused.

I could live without the "coincidences like that don't happen" lampshading, and I don't know that things aren't going too turn to soap opera-y for me, but five episodes in I'm still kind of beguiled. We'll see.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:27 am

Still liking Netojuu no Susume quite a bit. Morimori-chan's new look is way cuter.

And it looks like next episode we may finally find out something about the chick with blue hair in the opening credits. I still have only vague guesses who or what she is. It occurred to me, that's a gimmick that Western shows don't exploit: showing a character in the credits that isn't going to show up in the program any time soon, to say nothing of giving only hints about who or what she is.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:11 am

Latest episode had a major cliffhanger. Can't wait for the next episode.
Yuta confessed to Moriko that he is Lilly. Also, they used to be friends in a previous MMO they played. The blue haired girl in the op, is a character she makes in the new game based on the character she played in the earlier game (the blue haired girl in the tree with the hat)
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime onlineImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:19 pm

ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:Latest episode had a major cliffhanger. Can't wait for the next episode.
Yuta confessed to Moriko that he is Lilly. Also, they used to be friends in a previous MMO they played. The blue haired girl in the op, is a character she makes in the new game based on the character she played in the earlier game (the blue haired girl in the tree with the hat)

Yeah. I can't say I was impressed with who the blue-haired girl is; I was envisioning something much more interesting. The explanation for the two angels sitting in the tree is somewhat more interesting. And I am still liking the show.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:02 am

Oh wow, you don't see much stuff like that make it over here. Hopefully it'll do well and give other neglected lore-building material a shot at domestication.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:21 am

I think episode nine of Recovery of an MMO Junkie was the funniest anime episode I've watched this year. (Though I do surely hate that title.) I laughed out loud at least five times.

On the surface it was just yet another "can't spit it out" episode. But Morioka and Sakurai are so cute and shy and inept, and the physical humor works too.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:36 pm

Her mind=blown moments were great
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime onlineImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Previous

Return to Anime Discussions