What I'm watching

Talk about a specific anime series or genre that you enjoy.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

Re: What I'm watching

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:26 am

Ancient Magus Bride- First episode follows the manga pretty closely. The Magus going SD all the time is a little weird, but I really loved the first episode.

Vanishing Line Garo- Didn't care much for the original Garo, to much CG. I liked this first episode, it had a nice mix of action and coolness. Animated by Studio Mappa, and first time director is a long time animator for Mappa.

TWOCAR- If you remember the sidecar motorcycle racing from A!MG movie and tv series, this show is based around that. First episode was an introduction to the various racers. The racing is ok, the two main characters are kind of annoying. I can't really say that the show does a great job at showing speed, which a racing anime needs.

A Sisters all you need- First episode was pretty awful, a bad clone of Erogmanga Sensei. I hope it gets better, but I doubt it.

BlendS is about a HS girl who goes to work at a themed cafe. All the waitresses have their own character trope. Tsundere, and Imouto we meet in the first episode. The main character has mean eyes (kind of like Kodaka). They have her act sadist, much to the delight of the customers who like this sort of thing lol.

Blood Blockade Battlefront S2- Great first episode, and I really loved the original series. Great action, comedy, and supernatural hijinks.

Kings Game- A Battle Royal style "game" where students are given explicit instructions via text message to do something, and are "punished" if they don't comply. Usually by being murdered. Show is very over the top violent and gore. Kind of unintentionally funny like Big Order or Another.

Anime-Gatari's- The popular rich girl is a closet otaku and is convinced to restart her schools anime club by another girl who is trying to find the name of an anime she saw as a child (I guess she doesn't know about anime forums or 2ch lol). I have to wonder though, is the Butler secretly a ninja and just appears out of nowhere, or is he always standing just off camera waiting for the girl to summon him?
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime onlineImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:20 am

Juni Taisen: Zodiac War. A Battle Royal type kill all the other participants with the participants being around the Chinese zodiac. Based on a light novel by Monogatari's creator NisiOisin. Lots of violence, and some fairly interesting characters.

My Girlfriend is a faithful virgin shoujo bitch- A boy starts dating a girl who is the super serious and smart class rep. She says a lot of inappropriate things, but in a very serious deadpan manner.

Land of the Lustrous- A weird concept, and strange CG animation. Androgynous mineral girls who fight "moon dwellers" who break them into pieces and make them into jewelery. O_o The main character is a very fragile 3.5 (Mohs scale?) and can't be a fighter, so the leader of the Houseki tasks her with making an encyclopedia O_o

Girls last tour- Two young girls drive around a post apocalyptic landscape in a half track vehicle. Character designs are kind of similar to the blobby style of moe slice of life shows like Hidamari Sketch or Ichigo Marshmallow.
Do you feel lucky? Well, do you, punk!?
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:18 am

After 3 episodes, it is pretty clear that Magus Bride is the best show this season. Episode 3 Chise meets some dragons, and next episode visits the cat kingdom

Animegataris ep 3, Haruhi the anime club battles the all powerful student council to be established as a club and keep their club room. Also a visit is made to Akiba. Also, much discussion is made over the 3 episode rule, with Madoka given as a prime example.

Didn't watch any more of Kings Game, or little sister show. Just going to drop them as both had terrible first episodes and I have enough other shows I am watching.

Girls Last Tour is probably my favorite show this season beside Magus Bride. It's a fairly simple show, two girls driving around scavenging in a post apocalyptic wasteland. The character designs are a lot like the wide face look in Hidamari Sketch. I also like the interactions between the two main characters

Land of the Lustrous is a weird show, but it is an interesting watch. Androgynous anthropomorphic jewel people called Houseki that fight against "moon dwellers". The main character Phosphophyllite (Phos) is to brittle (3.5 on the Mohs scale) to be an effective fighter (it's ok though, as long as all the pieces are there, they can be glued back together) and has been tasked with creating an encyclopedia
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:18 am

The next posted episode of Magus' Bride is going to be the first I haven't seen. I've also gotten to see the opening and closing credits now, as they weren't included in the theatrical screening. I kind of like the opening song, though I think the animation is kind of silly. Just the opposite for the closing.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:28 am

I started reading the manga, and the first three episodes covered the majority of the first volume.
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:44 am

UQ Holder (Negima sequal) is a decent show (goofy looking cg monsters in ep 3 not withstanding). I don't quite understand how Evangeline made Negi's grandson immortal, but it makes for amusing fights when he loses his head and just attaches it back
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:22 am

My favorite opening of Fall 2017 is Inuyashiki's "My Hero" By Man with a Mission (database database, livin in the database..)
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x64bote
Others of note, are Animegatari's OP Aikotoba by Garnidelia

And Garo Vanishing Line Op EMG by Jam Project http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x63jqa9
Favorite Ending is Kekkai Sensen and Beyond Step up Love by Daoko and the guy who did the Space Dandy op
Last edited by ZeroRyoko1974 on Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:22 am

MMO Junkie had the mother of all cliffhangers in the lastest episode, and we learn that Yuta and Marioka knew each other in game in a previous game. This show has become one of my favorites this season, and this is the most have to see next episode now since Episode 13 of Made in Abyss

It may be a simple 3min per episode show, but Love is Like a Cocktail (Osake wa Fuufu ni Natte kara) is such a fun show. Mizusawa Chisato is funny in her drunken moeblob state. Show reminds me a lot of I can't understand what my husband is saying.
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Kokon Tozai » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:41 pm

Per Zero:
After 3 episodes, it is pretty clear that Magus Bride is the best show this season.

Finally having a chance to watch the proper series instead of OVA's on CR. My first impression from watching those OVA'swas right, this is going to a great series I'll love to watch all the way through. The first episode really threw me as it seemed so little like what I had already seen. But then that's the way some anime is where once the back story is set up they can do whatever with the rest. Have seen the first two ready to watch a few more tonight.

I should say that this is another example of what makes this forum so great. I was not aware of this series... hadn't ran across it on ANN or anywhere else. But here it was on ASK-C.
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:44 am

Ancient Magus Bride has been a great show, but I am starting to lean towards March Comes in like a Lion S2. This show keeps getting better each episode. The first season was kind of a let down, but I kept hearing from all the manga readers that it is such a great series (from the creator of Honey and Clover). S2 has featured the three sisters more often, and the main character isn't all mopey like in the first season. The current bullying storyline has been pretty intense. I am starting to lean towards it as best this season. Magus Bride hasn't really done anything bad, other then it feels like it is coasting.

Land of the Lustrous had a great episode this week, with Phos, Bort, and eventually Dia fighting the new Lunarian monster who seems to be way stronger then any previous one. Dia's improvisation for a weapon stronger then her sword was pretty obvious, but self detrimental.

Girls Last Tour ride a subway train, talk about music and find a moeblob animal thing.

Anime-Gataris discover the secret of why the principal wants to disband the anime club
Spoiler: show
he is a disgraced anime director who had his series cancelled after one episode
Lots of funny references in this episode, such as GaXephon, Super Dimension Bonsai Micross, Bishoujo Fighter Sailor Bunny, and Andromeda Angel. Also, the 'running' joke throughout the series took over the op
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:37 am

Don't neglect MMO Junkie. Episode ten picks up right where nine leaves off, and Morioka and Sakurai are so freaking cute together. ("Adorkable", TVTropes would have it.)

As I've said before, anime is the only medium that can make
holding hands
sexy.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:33 am

I liked the end, would like to see more of their relationship blossom. I gave the show 8/10 overall. I think it could have been better with a couple more episodes, and we never got to see the real life people behind the other characters of the guild besides the convenience store worker. I found the show comparable more to awkward romance show Ore Monogatari (My Love Story) then video game anime like SAO. Between the two, I liked My Love Story a bit more (produced by Madhouse certainly helps). Our inteprid love birds could do with a Sunakawa to keep things going. Right now, my Top 5 shows of the Fall season, look like
1a. March comes in like a lion
1b. Magus Bride
3. Food Wars
4. GIrls Last Tour
5. MMO Junkie
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:14 am

My only beef with MMO J is the implication that the relationship has
"cured" Morioka of being a NEET.
I not merely see no need for that, I'd would actively prefer it not happen. But, a minor thing.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Previous

Return to Anime Discussions