What Should Tim Stream?

Talk about a specific anime series or genre that you enjoy.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

Re: What Should Tim Stream?

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:39 pm

Glad you liked Tanya. Kobyashi is a must watch as well
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:50 pm

I'm out of words... I've had such a great lineup of anime of late that I'm beginning to fear that I'll become spoiled. MKDM....transcends saccharine. I'm woefully disappointed in all of my comrades that no one recommended that I have an industrial drum of insulin at the ready if only for the ED. I don't recall whether Josh has seen this or not but this is absolutely in his wheelhouse. For those wanting the "more" that they may or may not get, Fafnir is a fairly close analog to the titular Ho[o]zuki from Hozuki's Coolheadedness. The series isn't an exact mood match but certainly compatible humor-wise albeit decidedly much more dry humor.

Anyway, loving this recommendation to pieces to the point that I'm obliged to be eternally grateful (but perhaps a bit shy of becoming a live-in maid) to Matt for starting this thread. In such a short time, some real gems have come out of this that I've really, really enjoyed! Domo arigato Mr. Matt!
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:09 pm

If you haven't already, you should watch Konosuba S1 and 2, Erased, Re:Zero, Eccentric Family S1 and 2, and Re: Creators (amazon strike or pirate)
Last edited by ZeroRyoko1974 on Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:36 pm

RE:Zero was a few shows back on this thread and was definitely a worthy choice. The rest are absolutely on the list.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:01 am

Well, very good. There's always that fear of pushing too hard, getting the recommendee's hopes too high.

Nor can I add anything to the list at the moment. Except for My Hero Academia, which gets watched religiously every Saturday morning, I'm sort of drifting between a handful of recent shows: Moyashimon, Akashic Record of Bastard Magic Teacher, and Sakura Quest. I guess if I was going to single one out, it would be the first. I think I've run out of steam on WorldEnd as too shoujo: the male lead is getting way too messed up every time he thinks the female lead's been hurt, but we didn't particularly see those feelings evolve, so he just looks hysterical.

Actually, I've also gone back and am re-watching Is It Wrong To Try To Pick Up Girls In A Dungeon?, a.k.a. DanMachi.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:08 pm

I actually watched Moyashimon years ago at Ben's place though a rewatch wouldn't be an unwelcome fate. I think I may take a detour from any "lost in another world" series as the multitudes I've watched are starting to blur together into a frankenseries in my head. I'm probably not doing a fantasy show any favors in the near-term for similar reasons so perhaps My Hero Academia is the best choice.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:03 pm

Tsunami3k wrote:I actually watched Moyashimon years ago at Ben's place

Both seasons?

though a rewatch wouldn't be an unwelcome fate. I think I may take a detour from any "lost in another world" series as the multitudes I've watched are starting to blur together into a frankenseries in my head.

For a while there I absolutely could not tell which one of Sword Art Online and Log Horizon I meant to be talking about when discussing them. They occupied the exact same spot in my mind. And I never saw much of either.

so perhaps My Hero Academia is the best choice.

I'm unclear; does season two end with episode 26 (next week's)?
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:34 am

As I thought, season 2 is only half-over. The second half starts in Japan on July 8.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:51 pm

So, by chance, I noticed Irresponsible Universe Tylor on CR and though I'd give it a shot....WTF?! Yes, it's part of the Tylor continuum as is implied by its name but it fails catastrophically in spirit so far as I can tell. Maybe the first 12m episode suffered heavily from overstuffed-sausage-syndrome but it was in incoherent, schizophrenic mess.

Moving on, I blasted through all of the My Hero Academia that's available only to realized that I'm now in the weekly(?) waiting queue...the bane of my existence (not really as dramatic as that but I go through nigh-on heroic lengths to avoid this fate and have done so for years). Now I feel like a pleb but I suppose it's a good does of reality to digest from time to time.

Time to binge on something to completion...
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:56 pm

Actually, Tylor is 3 min episodes. And they aren't that greatest three minutes either
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:12 am

Tsunami3k wrote:Moving on, I blasted through all of the My Hero Academia that's available only to realized that I'm now in the weekly(?) waiting queue...the bane of my existence

I must perforce refer you to the two posts immediately above the one this is quoted from, in which I warn you of that exact thing.

I'm still kind of enchanted by the notion of again having a "Saturday morning cartoon" after some fifty years or so. But, as I think we've discussed before, there are shows that work in a marathon, and ones that don't. I think MHA is a "does". Since you did blast through all of so far, you must have been at least okay with it, but I'd like to hear more of your opinions.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:50 am

bakamatt wrote:
Tsunami3k wrote:Moving on, I blasted through all of the My Hero Academia that's available only to realized that I'm now in the weekly(?) waiting queue...the bane of my existence

I must perforce refer you to the two posts immediately above the one this is quoted from, in which I warn you of that exact thing.

Well, I gathered that it was nearing its end and figured the recommendation was old enough for it to have finished up plus a guy at work was talking about it who also typically doesn't start watching things until they're completely available all conspired to get me to trick myself into watching without checking first. It's a first-world problem that I can come to terms with...in time.

bakamatt wrote:I'm still kind of enchanted by the notion of again having a "Saturday morning cartoon" after some fifty years or so. But, as I think we've discussed before, there are shows that work in a marathon, and ones that don't. I think MHA is a "does". Since you did blast through all of so far, you must have been at least okay with it, but I'd like to hear more of your opinions.

Accusations of "sameyness" are fairly common on the threads here so it wouldn't be a shock if my conclusion is an echo of something already said. If anything's trending besides "otaku cast into another world", it would be superhero anime so MHA certainly has its work cut out for it. It doesn't take a lot of risks and the story isn't substantively different that an amalgamation of superhero stories that came before it but expecting something profoundly new every time is perhaps unreasonable. But it does fit squarely into the "derivative done right" bucket which I'm more than fine with. The show is well animated, the story is solid and well-placed and the fight scenes are often clever and nicely choreographed.

The character chemistry is also well balanced (Midoriya's waifu is adorable) and even the Black-Star-alike Bakugo is made tolerable by tempering the shonen mad-dog routine with the occasionally hilarious fumble or rare ruminations on possibly not being one of the two fighting to be #1. For me, best girl goes to Toru Hagakure. I tried to do a NWSF wallpaper search on Google for her (for science mind you) but sadly found nothing. Perhaps the fanbase for her isn't what I expected. D:
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:01 pm

At least Black*Star isn't so purely obnoxious that it's impossible for anyone but the main character of a shounen series to be his friend. I gather a fair amount of the fanbase simply can't forgive Bakugo for being such a bastard to Midoriya when they were younger. I can't; I find him a purely unsympathetic psycho and darn near evil, and wish he would go away. The only redeeming thing he's ever done is stick up for Ochako that one time after their duel.

There isn't that much objective that makes MHA a cut above for me: it does a sound job of working with a big cast and, related to that, it has the feel of a story that's embedded in a much bigger world. And, as I already said somewhere else, that it mostly avoids the easy road of having some kind of relationship between powers and personalities, Bakugo being a big exception. (Though is he explosive because he explodes, or the other way around, or neither?) The implementations of the powers is disciplined, too; ass-pulls are quite rare.

But it's the undercurrent of sadness that gives it some gravitas, and that it's got all the heart in the world. It gives me the resources I need to become emotionally vested in it, which is much harder for a super-powered teen show than, say, a slice-of-life show.

The only place I've seen that it cops out is the place where all shounen anime cop out: characters loudly proclaim they're not going to lose/fail, do lose/fail, and there's no consequence. Then don't lose faith in themselves, or feel like jackasses for saying it, or avoid saying it again later on. Nor does the rival who beat them usually rub their noses in it regardless of how big a turd they are. As a result of which, "I won't lose!" carries no weight; it's just something you do 'cause it's a shounen show. Maybe it's a Japanese thing.

For me, best girl goes to Toru Hagakure. I tried to do a NWSF wallpaper search on Google for her (for science mind you) but sadly found nothing.

*snort* If there's not even any pictures of her in lingerie, that's a need to be filled by some perv; she fills her uniform just fine. And somewhere really recently, maybe the stinger for volume five of Interviews With Monster Girls, there was a little throw-away bit that shows how sexy an invisible girl can be.

I'm going to assume - I haven't checked - that there plenty of art suggesting the possibilities of a girl with a sixty-foot long prehensile tongue.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:37 pm

In the Ed for S2, she is only wearing gloves and shoes, that is pretty NSFW
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Previous

Return to Anime Discussions