ASKC Anniversary 2015

Event information, Information, Meeting Recaps, Conventions, Personal Events, Parties.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, Kokon Tozai

Re: ASKC Anniversary 2015

Postby bakamatt » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:50 pm

The 2:00 between hot pants and white stockings, the one with the white skirt-y thing, is the Cecily/Sacred Blacksmith. And my 4:00 guess was apparently wrong, which means it looks I got two without help.

Tim, have you formalized times to arrive at Minsky's and then your place? I may be driving through construction to get there that Saturday.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:56 pm

bakamatt wrote:The 2:00 between hot pants and white stockings, the one with the white skirt-y thing, is the Cecily/Sacred Blacksmith. And my 4:00 guess was apparently wrong, which means it looks I got two without help.

Tim, have you formalized times to arrive at Minsky's and then your place? I may be driving through construction to get there that Saturday.

Tsunami3k wrote:Yeah, 10 or so for anyone wanting to make the traditional Minsky's run and 1ish for those not partaking. I figured we could play it by ear for whatever strikes our fancy as to marathon material. Between then and now I've got to purge all of the existing biohazards and whatnot in anticipation of guests. Thankfully most of the smaller wildlife has long since self-mummified by now but the surviving badgers still have some fight left in them.

tldr;
10:00 - Get your geek-on time.
11:00 - Head to Minsky's.
1:00 - Arrival time for post- and non-lunch peeps alike.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:15 pm

And the answers are...
Spoiler: show
Sakura- Naruto
Black Rock Shooter
Cecily- Sacred Blacksmith
Kogami Akira- Lucky Star
Nogizaka Haruka- Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu
Louise
Asaba Ureshiko- Okusama wa mahou shoujo
Horo
Felli Loss- Chrome Selled Regios
Melon- Akikan
Flandre Scarlet
Shirayuki Mizore- Rosario+Vampire
Azusagawa Tsukino- Yakitate Japan
Nagi- Kannagi
Tsumugi- K-On
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:56 pm

Okay, I can see Tsukino/Yakitate Japan now, but I'm not facepalming to have missed her.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:35 am

I wanted to give some advance notice of my plans for my contests on Saturday. I'm trying to spice things up a little, and I realized there was no reason to not make my intentions public ahead of time.

Name That Theme:

I'm figuring on four or five rounds of ten songs, plus a few tie-breakers. Players will be asked to identify only the source franchise. Players will pick one of three modes in each round in which to compete:

"Three-second" players will have to give an answer after hearing only the first few seconds of the song. I'll repeat those few seconds once or twice upon request. A correct three-second answer will be worth 1.5 points.

"Vanilla" players will act as all players have in the past, getting as much as fifteen seconds or more before having to answer. A correct vanilla answer will be worth 1.25 points.

"Crib Note" players will be able to see a list of the answers for that round - not, obviously, in order. A correct answer will be worth 1.0 points.

Once a player commits to a mode, they're obliged to stay in that mode for the entire round.

The answers will include songs from shows that have not had a disk release here, but are available as licensed streams. I'll try to focus on songs that are distinctive in their first few seconds, but I'm not promising every entry will clearly shoot off a flare.

Name That Clip:

The players are trying to identify sound clips from within shows. The clips may be catch phrases that a character uses often, sound effects, interior music heard repeatedly in the series, or individual scenes that I assume are somehow distinctive enough that players could recognize them. These last may be in English, or even in Japanese, if I judge they really have some kind of obvious fingerprint. The shortest clip I have is two seconds, the longest is 101 seconds. Players will be asked to identify only the source franchise.

There will be two modes, Vanilla and Crib Note, since I can't very well play the first four seconds of a two-second clip. In this game Vanilla answers will be worth 1.5 points, Crib Notes worth 1.0. Again, no switching modes within a round.

I understand that this might simply turn out to be too difficult. But I'm trying to keep that from happening, which is why there'll be only two 10 clip rounds, plus a couple of tie-breakers. I'm not finding all that many clips that meet my criteria.

Since all the clips are the soundtracks from scenes I captured from DVDs, all the source shows are, perforce, ones that have had a licensed DVD release here.

I've got a stack of manga and DVDs that I didn't get into that I'll be bringing for prizes.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:03 am

Haha, it occurred to me that a "Name that Eyecatch" could be a fun variation as well since they're usually distinctive and repeated often enough for a fair expectation of familiarity for a given viewer.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:38 pm

You got two days to get it ready...
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:45 pm

Here are a couple of clips to pratice with the name that sound
Za Warudo
JoJo's Bizzare Adventure

Onii-Chan
Clannad

End Card
Nisekoi

Achente
No Game no Life

Moe Moe Kyun
K-On

Sore Aru
OreGairu/Teeneage romance SNAFU
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:18 pm

I've seen maybe 2-3 stream-only shows so I'm pretty much boned.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:57 pm

Get with the times you discphile :lol:
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:37 pm

A few songs are going to come from streaming shows. Hint: Hikaru Nara from Your Lie in April. I really like that song. The sound clips are all from DVDs.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Kokon Tozai » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:51 pm

Matt:
I understand that this might simply turn out to be too difficult.

Well it certainly is ambitious. I hope you will have ppt tutorial to guide us through this?

I would like to put a vote for a future party & do the Mad Libs game again. I sucked at it, as I do all games/contests, but it was pretty fun & clever.
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby bakamatt » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:40 pm

Kind of you to mention the Mad Libs, Scott. I felt a bit guilty about that in hindsight; it seemed to me like I got a lot more enjoyment out of them than anyone else.

Two rounds of Name That Clip and five rounds of Name That Theme are ready. Except, Tim, could I please ask you to check if you've got a media player that doesn't display the .mp3 track data? I took pains to give all the files neutral names and then observed that things like, oh, the title, are apparently an intrinsic part of the file, stick around even if you change the file name, and are shown by Windows Media Player. So if not, people will have to face away from the display after all.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:02 am

We're not going to make 10:00; we'll see you all at Minsky's.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Kokon Tozai » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:23 pm

Great get together so far Tim. Looking forward to the 2nd half when i get back......
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

PreviousNext

Return to Event Discussion