ConQuest 2015

Event information, Information, Meeting Recaps, Conventions, Personal Events, Parties.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, Kokon Tozai

ConQuest 2015

Postby bakamatt » Fri May 08, 2015 9:46 am

http://conquestkc.org/index.htm

This is KC's annual sf con, put on by the local sf club that's been around forever. If we're going to be there, it'll be a one-day membership on Saturday ($40).

If I go, I'll be checking the dealers' room for old books, new books, DVDs, or items of decor; possible attending panels or screenings; checking out the costumes; and basking in the atmosphere. George R. R. Martin, writer of the Game of Thrones books, is going to be there - he's a big draw. (I gather he's on good terms with some of the con com, and likes coming to KC.) I don't know if there's going to be any anime programming; I don't think there'll be any anime merch. But I believe the con chair is an anime fan, or ex-fan.

I actually haven't been to an sf con for years; this one has managed to be in venues I didn't want to deal with again and again. This year I think I can cope, so it's a question of whether I feel like putting out that kind of money. And be warned; sf fandom here tends to the literary, so there'll be a lot more attention paid to books than movies or tv shows.

As I've said before, if you're curious to see how the other half lives, this is a convenient opportunity.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Re: ConQuest 2015

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Sat May 09, 2015 7:34 am

Would be nice if they offered pictures of you sitting on the iron throne. I would pay for that lol. KC is becoming quite the mecha :lol: for fan cons. Naka-kon, Planet Comicon, Conquest, KC Comic Con, Crypticon, Sausomecon/Motaku, you could even include JapanFest if you wanted. I don't know why some SciFi fans wouldn't like anime. There is plenty of scifi stuff like Gundam, Legend of Galactic Heroes, Voltron, Tylor, Appleseed, etc.
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Mon May 11, 2015 10:32 am

ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:I don't know why some SciFi fans wouldn't like anime.

I've beaten my brains out agains the brick wall that is that question for going on seventeen years now, and I have no more faith in my most recent answer than my first.

And, of course, it's not "one answer," it's many.

I dismiss out-of-hand the idiots who don't actually know anything about anime but who are simply happy to have one more thing to hate on. Anime is as easily mis-characterized as furry fandom, or Pony, or Warcraft players who are members of the other faction besides theirs. And one is as likely to have any luck altering their behavior.

I'm talking about the people who should at least be open to new forms of fun.

Back in the late '90's when I got back into anime in a big way, I was still a member of an APA (amateur press association, kind of like a hard-copy pre-internet forum) with many people I'd known for years, people who were all gamers and sf fans. People who knew me, would consider my recommendations for authors, comics, or games. But I could get no traction with Japanese cartoons. There was the huge party going on, and no one wanted to come.

I did the programming for the anime room at the con this thread is nominally dedicated to, about eight years ago. I geared my selections to sf fans and created a program guide. For three days most of the time I was the sole occupant of that room. I'd see people walking around aimlessly, looking for something to do, that would peek in, see what was happening, and walk on.

I knew a person who "just didn't like anime" but managed to be a big fan of Kevin Sorbo's series Andromeda. I know a person who moved to Hawai'i, was lonely as hell and badly craving some fannish action, but when I mentioned Kawaii Con it was, once again, that she "just doesn't like anime."

This is, by and large, absurd. What generalizations are valid about a medium that includes Queen's Blade and Kamichu, Your Lie in April and Redline, Hellsing, Pokemon, Haibaine Renmei, Cowboy Bebop and Madoka? "I just don't like anime" gets cloaked in rationals that are, I believe, simply not true for most people who use them. I still hear "It's all giant robots, magic girls, and tentacles," which is not only not true but implies it would be impossible to make a good work with giant robots, magic girls, or tentacles. (I'd probably concede the third.) I hear "I don't like big-eyed characters" and the next moment they're raving about Frozen. I hear "I don't like cheap animation," but what they're kvetching about always manages to be cheap Japanese animation, not cheap American animation. "I don't like subtitles/dub tracks," in which case they should be inditing all foreign film, not just anime. I have problems with anime mysogyny sometimes; I don't watch those shows, but I don't tar the entire medium with that brush. If someone ever admitted "It's too much trouble to winnow out the wheat I'd like from the chaff I won't," I'd embrace them as honest and rational, but who wants to admit they're lazy?

And worse, this is from people who take smug satisfaction about how mentally flexible and open to new things they are. Sf fandom has a long tradition of thinking itself free thinkers, which I kind of thought was hogwash even before anime crossed the Pacific.

So what is going on?

I believe some people can't or won't abandon their preconceived notions of what cartoons "are and should be." I suspect some aren't comfortable to find out that there are people (possibly including themselves) who are sexually stimulated by cartoons characters. Some, damned hypocrites, are just as willing as the ignorant to clutch at something to hate. Some people are perversely cross-grained: the more enthusiastic someone else is for something, the more likely they are to reject it, and if anime fans are anything, they're enthusiastic. I suspect some are bigots who don't want their dollars going to Japan, though I can't say I've ever identified such - I've always run in pretty liberal circles. And some, I think, just don't feel like they have the time and energy to embrace another fannish passion - which is perhaps the most common legitimate reason to reject Japanese 'toons. I certainly see no point in handing a non-fan a Crunchyroll guess pass and telling them, "Just try stuff." Most people would be overloaded and daunted in moments. But in such cases "I don't have time for anime" would be more accurate than "I don't like anime."

These days, some of it may be envy. Traditional sf fandom is old, and seems unable to recruit new members - you've seen KaCSFFS recruiting in the Naka dealers' room and I respect them for it, but it isn't going to work. I believe Naka 2015 is going to outdraw ConQuest 2015 by at least a factor of four, probably five, and they've got George R. R. Martin, a big draw, this year.

And who knows how many other reasons, mostly crap ones. I've long contended that anime fans are discovered, not made. It often seems to be the case that it takes only one exposure to one show to hook a newbie, whereas there doesn't seem to be anyone who learns to like the stuff after extensive exposure - though maybe that's because no one is ever extensively exposed unwillingly, I don't know.

I don't get it. I'm a gamer and a media fan and a litfan and an otaku because all those things are fun. Why wouldn't you want more fun in your life, and accept the enthusiastic guidance of somone who's already done the legwork?

There's also an intermediate form: people who are indifferent to anime as a medium, but are quite capable of enjoying a specific show. I know a guy for which anime starts and ends with Tenchi. One who's okay with sf and fantasy shows that don't have huge-eyed, little-girl-voiced characters. And it surprised the heck out of me when another guy I know popped up out of nowhere a big fan specifically of Girls and Panzers.

So, in short, why don't sf fans like anime? For all the many same stupid reasons as people don't like all kinds of good things, mostly.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Mon May 11, 2015 1:23 pm

Well at least they have good taste, Girls und Panzer, and Tenchi :lol:
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Return to Event Discussion