Naka-Kon 2015

Event information, Information, Meeting Recaps, Conventions, Personal Events, Parties.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, Kokon Tozai

Re: Naka-Kon 2015

Postby Kokon Tozai » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:12 am

Well it's grown a bit since the first event with 300 attending:

For those who have been wondering, here are the final numbers for Naka-Kon 2015. This year we had 8,414 attendees taking part in the convention, which is around 1,200 more than last year. When you add in guests, exhibitors and staff, the total count comes in at 8,772. Needless to say, a new attendance record was set.
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby bakamatt » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:46 pm

Thanks kindly, Scott. Maybe we can't even call it a "mid-sized con" any longer.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby kaworu5 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:57 pm

That 8,772 total is not counting the 100+ badges that were not claimed. How dare Naka-Kon not count the bodiless. For shame, Naka-Kon. For shame.

Anyway, even though it has been kinda/mildly/definitely already been decided, how many people do you think fit in the same space? Could you tolerate it with a few more thousand people or were the crowds even too much for this year?
kaworu5
Anime Enthusiast

Postby Tsunami3k » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:18 pm

Actually, crowd management was pretty good this year. I don't know whether to credit the bread of worthwhile distractions or the minimization of bottlenecks but I'm tempted to suggest the next obvious round number of 10k. Probably the only casualty of the high attendance what that the smaller panel rooms were usually swamped such that I may just write off anything that appears to be middling popular or better when scheduled in any of the smaller rooms. No doubt some clever scheduling could alleviate the bulk of that. With the additional parking at B&V, most of the other growing pains have largely been minimized.

Hmm, now that I think of it, the nice March weather likely allows the courtyard to be a natural pressure-relief valve as well.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:35 pm

I presume the facility itself has a maximum capacity; is the con flirting with it?

While there were certainly times that the crowding was oppressive, it was nothing I wasn't willing to endure briefly.

But I suspect once you've exceeded critical mass the problems will abruptly increase rapidly - bottlenecks turning to gridlock, having to meter access to the dealers' room, just too darn man people wandering around looking for something to do. Nor am I as complacent as Tim that increasing the demand for parking places by 15% isn't going to be a big pain. Indeed, just in general, imagine any event there. Now imagine 6 people where there were 5 last con.

It may actually be a matter trial and error to discover when things become nonviable.

At what point does Bartle Hall become mandatory? Or, as much as I hate to mention, taking the con to another city - though I can't say I know of a bigger venue anywhere around here.

Is there any compelling reason not to cap membership at 9,000?
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Kokon Tozai » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:46 am

Except for the peak hours in the vendor's room I thought the population density very tolerable. Only real drawback was the smallish rooms for several panels as mentioned by Tim. The Japanese TV commercials panel was standing room only and indeed out into the hallway a bit. This is more of a staging challenge than a total population problem. I still like the venue.

Is that common at other anime con's? Seems odd to limit attendance & deny people happy to pay admittance & join in. Would no doubt be a good way to drive up pre-reg sales!

Edit:
Maybe the NCAA basketball stuff didn't affect N-K much but with Comic-Con & Snake Saturday In competition I'm sure that did. Think of all those borderline fannish that looked at comic books that otherwise might have been at N-K.
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:04 pm

When I was going to Otakon years ago, I think they capped it at 15k presales
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Fri May 01, 2015 7:40 am

Kokon Tozai wrote:

Is that common at other anime con's? Seems odd to limit attendance & deny people happy to pay admittance & join in.

It's not necessarily the con's choice: it's the fire marshal's. Which was why I asked about the OPCC's limit.

I won't argue that fire regulations are a good thing, but they've been a hassle for cons for decades: I remember having to duct tape chairs together thirty years ago. Convention facilities are geared to sedate businessmen, not high-energy young fans who lack impulse control. There used to be lots of venues that wouldn't touch a fannish event*; I'm not in the loop these days, so don't know if that's still the case.

_____
*Not only because kids were a challenge to manage, but because they didn't drink enough or patronize the hotel hookers, or so some said. I believe the former, at any rate; after the dealer's room, who's got money to pay hotel rates for booze?
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Previous

Return to Event Discussion