Naka-Kon 2015

Event information, Information, Meeting Recaps, Conventions, Personal Events, Parties.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, Kokon Tozai

Re: Naka-Kon 2015

Postby Tsunami3k » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:38 pm

Entirely your call. Sure I like the band and love the fact that I work with several people that would be hugely envious if I came in sporting such swag but I hadn't intended to browbeat you in the least about it though I'd partake if the opportunity arose. So anyone know how long they plan to be at the con tonight and/or their window of time tomorrow?
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:11 pm

I feel not in the slightest browbeaten. It only makes sense that something should go to he who want it the most, and I wouldn't have made the offer if I didn't mean it. (Besides, you're so solicitous of the feelings of your co-workers.) So you guys have your Pokemon fight for it, or something.

I expect the only dealer I'll want to give my full attention to right away is Curt, so unless there's an unexpected second dealer whose stuff I've got to check out immediately, I'd expect to free up for a dinner trip circa 6:30-ish if one is in the offing.

Tomorrow I intend to be there in time for Anime Mythbusters at 10:30 AM, and if I can stay awake for it, Name That Tune at 9:30 PM. Everything between is negotiable, subject mostly to the screenings, as there are quite a few of those I'm curious about.

I don't typically show up on Sunday, but that's not carved in stone.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:15 pm

TectonicMuse wrote:I should be there at around four today. Looking forward to it!

Very good; it's been a while. Or, as the Japanese would say, Hisashiburi ja ne!
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:48 pm

Less then hours in and escalator already broke. That has to be a record
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:32 am

Good to have seen people!

Yesterday morning I watched the first two-and-a-half episodes of Yakitate Japan, the shounen parody about bread bakers. I decided it makes a better anime than manga; having the characters moving and talking enhances the goofiness of the series. And I thought the dub on Summer Wars was tolerable.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ca_jas » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:10 am

Living vicariously... any other stories? :cry: T_T
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby bakamatt » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:42 pm

We had what I thought a curious episode. Scott and I, and I think Shawn and Josh, maybe Josh's friend (Holly?) were sitting at a table in the in-dealers'-room eatery. A young woman came up to us to tell us (implicitly Scott and I) how neat it was that "people like us" were at an anime con - by which she meant, "old." I was somewhat nonplussed and didn't make what I think was, in hindsight, a suitable reply. L'esprit de l'escalier strikes again; a friend suggested I should have said "It's neat that people like you are, too." This was partly interesting because I had mentioned to Shawn earlier that day that I felt like I was seeing more old folk than I ever had - still a tiny minority, but more than I expected.

Speaking of the dealers' room, I had what I think was my highest Naka expenditure, with two posters (Big O and Patlabor), two decks of cards (Haganai and Madoka Magica), three art books (CardCaptor Sakura, Tenchi Muyo, and Haganai), and a Gunbuster figure Curt had that I've eaten my heart out over every time I've seen it.

"Anime Mythbusters" was a hoot, as always. I did manage to stay up until nine-friggin'-thirty PM Saturday night for "Name That Tune"; I got taken down by the eventual winner and, in my estimate, wouldn't have gotten far in the semi-finals.

For a while I was thinking there might actually be more Sword Art Online costumes than Attack on Titan, but eventually had to rule AoT the winner for the second year in a row. I didn't see any standout hall costumes except, perhaps, for one really nice Sakura from CardCaptor Sakura. (Which seems to be having a bit of a revival.)

You were missed.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:53 pm

And the all but a few SAO costumes were season one Asuna/Kirito or Sinon. Season two is going to air on toonami, so maybe that will change next year. I liked AoT and all, but it has the least variety in costumes for oracticall any show. Just change wigs and you have a new character. Didn't happen this year, but last year some random young preteen girl started chatting up and hanging around my friend Shannon for no reason. He wasn't in costume and hadn't said a word to her prior. Eventually she went on her merry way, but it was weird. I was like do you know her, and he was like never seen her before
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Kokon Tozai » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:31 pm

Matt:
A young woman came up to us to tell us (implicitly Scott and I) how neat it was that "people like us" were at an anime con - by which she meant, "old."

She came up to both of us but only made eye contact with Matt I was invisible. Obviously she was hitting on Matt & if he had ever watched any eps of City Hunter he would had ready much more (in)appropriate response.

Although the last couple of years I had just a feeling of commitment to be there, I had a very good time last weekend. It was of course the good company I was in but everything from the check in to panel scheduling & content just clicked for me.

Most interesting panel: The saki tasting. Wow I'm looking for a bottle of that Black Hawk saki next time.

Worst panel: The one about Shnto & anime. The presenter was obviously reading with difficulty word by word from prepared text & an odd accent that I wouldn't call Japanese I'm not sure what it was. She kept pronouncing "anime" as "enema."

Mostest fun panel: That would have to be the Japanese TV Commercial panel. I think this was new this time. An hour's worth of LOL in 30/60 sec chunks.

I kept feeling that if walked down Artist's alley one more time I finally see jas. No go. And thanks to Matt I scored the absolute coolest T shirt I own, the Babymetal T shirt. I can not find this particular design on their official website or anywhere even cafe press etc. Too cool.
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:49 pm

Yeah this was much better then last couple of years. Fave panel was anime myth busters, and worst was anime baddest villains. Not only did the presenter lose control of the panel to the audiencrpe, but he kept using the word anime's. If you are trying to present a respectable panel, at least know that anime us both singular and plural. And don't base most most of your material on stuff other people told you. Also it didn't really make sense whether he was listing off the strongest or most villainous. I gave up half way through
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:22 am

One aspect of Anime Mythbusters that particularly amused me was that I'd asked one of those same questions in an entirely different context about six years ago. It was while I was in that interval in Florida training to be a catheter lab tech. We were covering blood pressure, which although not ever strong enough to blow someone's head off, can be non-trivially high, and I wondered why only injuries to major arteries near the heart visibly spurt blood. The answer, as was pointed out, is atmospheric pressure - blood pressure has to be really high to overcome it doing anything more dramatic than just oozing.

So if you're in space without a suit, be careful not to cut yourself.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby get_mik » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:25 am

Tsunami3k wrote:
kaworu5 wrote:I guess it’s already here. \(>o<)/ギャーッ!

I agree that there is a lot more programming I’m interested in this year, so good job 2015 programming staff. But my schedule isn’t set yet so that probably means I won’t be too available. I’ll try and text those that have textable phones (which is embarrassing that I even have to say that at all) to see where everyone is if I get some free time.

Tsunami3k wrote:Let me know if you have any requests for Curt this year and I'll relay it to him.

Cels that are on his site but are actually sold would be nice.

I took the liberty of already asking on your behalf about any new compelling (i.e. non-junk) CCS cels. As usual he balked at the idea of bring cels to cons, I guess because table real estate is better used for higher-turnover stuff. I imagine, though, that he'd be open to bringing cels he doesn't have anymore since that would take up decidedly less space.

If Curt is able to get another booth space and potentially another person to help him with his booth, it might be possible to have him bring his cels.

Usually only a couple of people in the midwest like to buy cels, usually not making it worth bringing.

I am trying to get him to bring them to Sausomecon as he will have plenty of room to have them and he is intending on bringing two vans for it... if he gets enough pressure from attendees, he might do so.

There is also the choice to meet him at his warehouse in Pittsburg, KS when he is not out conventioning or in Japan (which he is currently at until around May 11th).

Mike
get_mik

Postby Tsunami3k » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:20 am

Yeah I try to pretty regularly organize "Curt Cons" and we've done a bunch up to this point so it's more of a nicety than a necessity for him to bring cels to a con. Thankfully he never has a shortage of neat stuff to explore no matter what he opts to bring.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:35 am

get_mik wrote:Usually only a couple of people in the midwest like to buy cels, usually not making it worth bringing.

I believe it isn't usually cost-effective for him to bring the cels.

But between me, Tsunami3k, Kaworu5, and ZeroRyoko1974 you've got four people right here that have been known to buy them. Last CurtCon I paid as much for a Mahoromatic plus color guide than I probably have for all the other cels I've ever bought together. But it's so cute...

Cels are in a kind of odd financial limbo. On the one hand, that aren't making any more of them, they have genuine as opposed to artificial scarcity, and the people who like them like them a lot. On the other, there aren't very many people who like them that much, and, since most fans only care about new shows, I assume there aren't many new buyers. Which means supply and demand are relatively balanced, so the prices don't change.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby get_mik » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:40 am

I have been trying to persuade Curt to bring cels to Sausomecon, after all, he will have PLENTY of space... 60+ feet of space and all.

Cels are definitely a nice true collectible. Sadly, so many people have no idea what they are. Owning a piece of history is, to me, a beautiful thing.

Mike
get_mik

PreviousNext

Return to Event Discussion