Naka-Kon Musical Event

Event information, Information, Meeting Recaps, Conventions, Personal Events, Parties.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, Kokon Tozai

Re: Naka-Kon Musical Event

Postby Tsunami3k » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:18 am

D: Scratch that Mr. Scott. I guess the concert is no longer happening this weekend. Does anybody know if we automatically get a refund if we've already got Naka-Kon badges?
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Kokon Tozai » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:07 am

Cancellation = big disappointment. This is the second N-K event to fall through I've wanted to go to. Personally the weekend that all the Holiday shopping madness starts would've been the perfect reprieve. Whether or not I go to the rescheduled date simply depends partly on when it is. With out any solid reason why the date was cancelled I'm leaning towards refund.
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby TectonicMuse » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:54 pm

Really down about the cancellation. I had gotten tickets and fenagled my way out of work and everything!
If anybody else ended up with free time, would people be interested in doing a thanksgiving weekend watch party or something on Saturday night instead?
TectonicMuse
Anime Aficionado

Postby TectonicMuse » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:37 pm

Well, maybe the notice is too short. But if anybody wants to hang out a bit (888 or anything else) let me know!
TectonicMuse
Anime Aficionado

Postby Kokon Tozai » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:33 pm

Yeah bummer about the event. Strangely I can find no comments about the cancellation on the N-K forums. That makes me think that interest & ticket sales were very low. If that's the case then there's no point in rescheduling. The target audience would not care if it's on Thanksgiving weekend or some other date. I hope they don't offer it as an alternate entertainment option during Naka-Kon. They did that once before with the premiere of a movie that of caused you to be away at a movie theater & miss the con.

I would have loved to meet up on Saturday. But when I announced the concert was canceled suddenly it became family decorate the Xmas tree night. I shoulda kept my mouth shut & just snuck out. Josh, I hope you found some worthwhile diversion for Saturday night.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby TectonicMuse » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:41 pm

Josh, I hope you found some worthwhile diversion for Saturday night.

Of course! Actually, I ended up going to the 888 and being hosted by MollyMiri for a watch of Porco Rosso that night, which I hadn't seen yet.
Fantastically charming film! I want to hold off on making a concrete judgement so soon after watching it, but it might become my favorite Miyazaki.
As far as stuff he directed and wrote, and not including the short films, I've only got the two newest ones left (Poppy Hill and Wind Rises).
All in all, I'd say that it was a pretty good time!

I found it hard to believe that a last minute cancellation like that was solely due to the date being set two days after a holiday,
but if you immediately got co-opted by your family to put up decorations that night, then maybe they had a point! haha
TectonicMuse
Anime Aficionado

Postby Tsunami3k » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:51 pm

Sorry I missed your post Josh; you could have come over, no problem.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Kokon Tozai » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:01 pm

per TM:
I ended up going to the 888 and being hosted by MollyMiri for a watch of Porco Rosso that night, which I hadn't seen yet.

The 888 is a grocery store, right? What is going on there that involves anime viewing?
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby TectonicMuse » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:19 pm

The 888 is a grocery store, right? What is going on there that involves anime viewing?

Ah, no, the 888 was prior to the viewing. Snacks and such. There're these little seaweed snacks that I've actually grown quite partial to.

Sorry I missed your post Josh; you could have come over, no problem.

Well, I figured it was worth a shot to ask, since a lot of people were probably in the same boat, but the notice period was pretty short.
I didn't really expect that it would have been reasonable to organize anything so quickly.
(On top of that, it felt strange to bring it up anyway, since I couldn't have hosted anything myself).
TectonicMuse
Anime Aficionado

Postby bakamatt » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:19 am

TectonicMuse wrote:(On top of that, it felt strange to bring it up anyway, since I couldn't have hosted anything myself).

Shrug. You don't ask, it's not gonna happen; people can always say "Sorry, it doesn't work for me."

Meeting at people's homes seems to just be less of a fannish thing than it once was. I recall a time when people would occasionally host "condo cons", weekend-long free-form open houses. But that a was a long time ago; one of the requisite conditions was that you owned a VCR so people could watch movies or TV episodes.

Anyway, at-home fannish events have always felt natural to me.

My event of that day was successful. I finally got to run an RPG scenario for which I'd custom-made a gaming mini two years ago. Man, was that a relief.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby TectonicMuse » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:39 am

Anyway, at-home fannish events have always felt natural to me.

I'd perhaps like to try to host one of those one day.
It sounds like a dang good time, to be honest.
My biggest roadblock right not is roommates etc.
In order for things to not just immediately unravel into chaos,
I'd have to convince everybody to basically just abandon the house for a day or two.

Still, it's an attractive idea. I'll look into it once finals are over.
TectonicMuse
Anime Aficionado

Postby stevenk » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:13 pm

As for the refunds for people who had already bought tickets there are options.
If you don't have a convention badge yet, you can trade your concert ticket for a weekend pass to the convention, or contact us and we can refund your concert ticket purchase.
Likewise, you'd bought a VIP Concert ticket, you can either get your purchase refunded or trade it in for a Naka-Kon VIP pass.
We are all really disappointed the concert didn't happen too. I gotta say most people have been very patient and reasonable, but it is still painful for us because --despite what some of the less than reasonable folks imply-- our staff members really do care a great deal about doing our best for Naka-Kon supporters.
stevenk

Postby TectonicMuse » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:08 pm

Of course! If you guys didn't want to do cool things,
you wouldn't try to schedule them in the first place, right?
It's not ideal, but hopefully it'll work out better next time.
TectonicMuse
Anime Aficionado

Postby Tsunami3k » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:21 pm

Yeah, you'd be hard pressed to find any of the internet armchair quarterbacking going on here. We know you all are doing what you love and hope for the best as much as we do. Cheers and thanks to everyone involved for putting it together.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Kokon Tozai » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:22 am

Looks like both bands are rescheduled for N-K 2016:

https://naka-kon.com/news/2014-12-06-224500/earthbound-papas-and-critical-hit-coming-naka-kon-2016

No word if it will be a musical act integrated into the con as they've done before or a separate event. I still look forward to seeing/hearing them but I will have to ask for refund and see what happens in '16.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Previous

Return to Event Discussion