Motaku 2014

Event information, Information, Meeting Recaps, Conventions, Personal Events, Parties.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, Kokon Tozai

Motaku 2014

Postby bakamatt » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:35 pm

I suppose someone ought to point out that it's this weekend...

They're declining to post their programming schedule prior to the con. They cite two reasons for this, both of which I'd say fall into the category of "it make people ask for things we don't want to do but don't want to say 'no' to"; I find this lame. (They also cite the difficulty in accommodating all the various protocols people are apt to use to access online content; this might be true, but I'd have said it was a cost of doing business to deal with it.)

And it pretty much eliminates any chance of my being there except on Saturday from roughly opening to until I'm done with the dealers' room plus any fortuitously-scheduled programming that I want to see plus any fortuitously-scheduled lunch with any of you.

On the plus side, they're out of that wretched water park hotel and into a venue with enough parking, one that's hosted cons before.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Re: Motaku 2014

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:56 am

Really, I didn't think they would ever leave that hotel. Not that makes me want to go anymore then if they were still at that hotel. Only reason to go, would be to let Kurt rape my bank account :lol: I always thought of Motaku as Naka-kon's red headed stepchild.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime onlineImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:11 pm

Yeah, it seems like $45 is quite the premium for access to Curt and a nebulous promise of a schedule. So who all is going then?

Curt gave me a heads-up that he would be there so maybe someone who's going could keep an eye out for me. No need to feel obliged to do so but should someone have the time or inclination, I'd be grateful. I'm also thinking about organizing a Fall Curt-Con should there be enough interest although he may very well be duking it out with Ikea for a slice of our geek monies. He thinks he'll be back from Japan on October 11th but I'm almost tempted to figure out when his shipments will come it and time our visit to hit then.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:49 am

You can get a one-day for $30.

I'm game for a Curt-Con!
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:44 pm

I got there at 9:40. Registration, which was supposed to be open at 9:00, was just starting, and there was a long line. Since there wasn't any programming or screenings I was interested in today, I was faced with the prospect of a long wait to pay $30 to go into the dealers' room and spend money at, most likely, one dealer. I left.

Now I'm really game for a Curt-Con.

The "I told you so"s may begin.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:23 pm

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that your quest ended so abruptly. By nearly ever account it seems as if they're just phoning it in at this point. I have to wonder if they're thinking about tossing in the towel at this point or if they're really ok with this level of mediocrity. Man, and I so wanted to have a local summer con too... :(
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:19 pm

I'm sure they don't think of themselves as phoning it in. I imagine they work very hard, and are simply running the thing to suit themselves.

But after you've been to a few more robust cons, you're naturally going to evolve a set of expectations to be met.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:11 pm

I am sure there are other cons out there that remain small, but it's been around, what 10 years or something? Naka-kon was larger after just a few years. From what I saw of it last year when I went, there was about as much programming as first Naka-kon, when the dealers room was a closet :lol:
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime onlineImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Return to Event Discussion