Toph's Earth Bending in Kansas City!

Event information, Information, Meeting Recaps, Conventions, Personal Events, Parties.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, Kokon Tozai

Toph's Earth Bending in Kansas City!

Postby KCBoLin » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:53 am

The martial arts choreographer for Toph from Avatar: The Last Airbender, Sifu Manuel Rodriguez, will be in KC Jan 25 & 26! He's teaching Toph's style! Check out the flyer I saw! Definitely gonna call the number to find out how much and times!
Attachments
Chu Ka Flyer.jpg
Chu Ka Flyer.jpg (93.93 KiB) Viewed 263 times
KCBoLin

Re: Toph's Earth Bending in Kansas City!

Postby Tsunami3k » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:12 am

I admit that I'm not well versed in non anime lore. Riddle me more info KCBoLin!
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby KCBoLin » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:31 pm

Tsunami3k, bending is the Avatar universe's "super power". Each of the four styles of bending in the show is based on real Chinese martial arts. Earth bending is normally based on the Hung Gar system of kung fu, but Toph's character practices the Chu Ka style of Southern Praying Mantis. From what I understand of Chu Ka, it's a very direct and effective style of fighting. Sifu Manuel Rodriguez was the choreographer for Toph's Chu Ka, and he's teaching it soon right here in KC! He's only going to be here for two days. It's $150 for both days, $100 for one, which is what most martial arts seminars go for these days. It's a great opportunity and I am for sure gonna go.
KCBoLin

Postby Tsunami3k » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:39 pm

Ahh, I knew about bending being the crux of the show but I had never heard about the martial arts connections to each of the styles. Makes sense in retrospect. I fragged myself a bit with the kettle bell I got for Christmas {It's worth noting that 40lbs is *not* a good starting weight for a beginner...T~T] so I'm not in a spot to be able to take advantage of this but it does sound like a pretty rare chance to train with such an influential figure. I'm curious how your sessions go so post an update if you think of it.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby KCBoLin » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:58 pm

Sorry you can't make it! I will definitely post about my experiences! I hope others who see this show up; I want Kansas City to look good!
KCBoLin

Return to Event Discussion