Naka-Kon 2014

Event information, Information, Meeting Recaps, Conventions, Personal Events, Parties.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, Kokon Tozai

Re: Naka-Kon 2014

Postby Kokon Tozai » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:51 am

No Josh,no Chief, no Ben. Hey it would even be good to see Bradley Meek again! Hopefully some of the new guys on the forum will be there.

Like Zero I should be parking around 6ish.
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby bakamatt » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:16 am

Tim, that was the Role Players' line.

It's true, Scott, it's a bummer the folk that have to miss this year.

As usual, I didn't pre-reg. You'd think I'd learn.

But, by virtue of getting into the buy-your-badge line at 4:30 (for a 6:00 opening), I had mine by 6:30. It wasn't so bad; I just sat on the floor and listened to anime themes on my iPod. (Special training for Saturday morning?) I believe they had four stations instead of last year's two and it seemed like thing was running a lot faster.

I'll be leaving work a bit early again tonight, and expect to be there about 4:10.

Is the screening schedule posted anywhere? I'm one of those weirdos who like to watch a little anime at my anime cons.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:51 am

The revised programming schedule is up.

On the plus side, Name That Tune's been moved and no longer conflicts with Anime Mythbusters. On the minus side, it's been moved to Sunday afternoon when I'm somewhat less likely to be there at all. *sigh*

I'm also interested to note (maybe should have noticed a long time ago) that the Cosplay Contest is supposed to start at 3:00 on Saturday, I guess to make room for the two dances that follow.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:01 am

bakamatt wrote:The revised programming schedule is up.

On the plus side, Name That Tune's been moved and no longer conflicts with Anime Mythbusters. On the minus side, it's been moved to Sunday afternoon when I'm somewhat less likely to be there at all. *sigh*

I'm also interested to note (maybe should have noticed a long time ago) that the Cosplay Contest is supposed to start at 3:00 on Saturday, I guess to make room for the two dances that follow.

Yeah, that's got me on the fence as to whether to break with tradition and not shoot the contest. It already eats the bulk of Saturday so moving it further towards the heart of the day pretty much makes it either a cosplay day or an everything else day. Gotta scan the new schedule to see what panels conflict.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Kokon Tozai » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:19 am

I can only find the schedule updated 3/11. Could someone kindly post a link to the new one?
Domo!
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby bakamatt » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:57 pm

Kokon Tozai wrote:I can only find the schedule updated 3/11. Could someone kindly post a link to the new one?
Domo!

11 March is later than the one I was looking at, which was 6 March. Glad you said something.

So Anime Mythbusters and Name That Tune are coincident. Every year I shoot myself in the foot reading the schedule somehow.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:12 pm

ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:10 pm

I cant decide if Mary Poppins, Michael Jackson, or the statue of liberty was the weirdest non anime costume i saw at Naka-kon
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Kokon Tozai » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:34 pm

I cant decide if Mary Poppins, Michael Jackson, or the statue of liberty was the weirdest non anime costume i saw at Naka-kon

The weirdest non anime one for me was the *substantially* overweight older guy as Wonder Woman. I don't think that's in your selection but thanks man! For the good pics & company!
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby Kokon Tozai » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:37 pm

2014 one of the best Naka-Kons. I had a great time. Tim, or anyone how was Sunday?

There's a couple of fan panel hosts I'd like to contact directly & thank for their efforts. And maybe follow their presentations. The N-K website/guide book/forum doesn't give a clue how to do so. Any suggestions?
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:57 pm

Kokon Tozai wrote:

The weirdest non anime one for me was the *substantially* overweight older guy as Wonder Woman. I don't think that's in your selection but thanks man! For the good pics & company!

I think I might have saw that guy, but my mind is trying to block it out as some severe trauma. Couple other odd non anime cosplays... Captain Crunch, Pocahontas, and Disney Princesses :lol: Sunday was pretty good. I skipped the Is there a future for anime cons panel, because I went to the history of the anime industry panel by the same dofus Harmony Gold marketing guy who couldn't operate Powerpoint, and didn't see the need to sit through another hour with him. I will give him credit for one point though, I don't recall any doom and gloom the anime industry is dying discussion ever talking about the yen/dollar fluctuations. I am sure that was part of it, but I would think that if you are in an international industry such as anime, the rise and fall of the dollar is part of doing business.
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:22 pm

Heh, except that he thought that the yen was still 80 to the dollar so either it's not as relevant as he says or he's not as relevant as he thinks. ;D
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:38 am

Yeah, if the yen vs dollar was so important, when the yen went from 80 to a 100, we should have seen some kind of upswing in the american industry. Seems about the same. Maybe you can't make as much per title with streaming and downloads, but there is money in volume, as Crunchyroll seems to do just fine without physical media, and although not just anime, Hulu's owners were shopping it around not long ago, asking for close to two billion dollars.
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:49 am

The Mary Poppins was out of left field, no question. But a darned good job. Also the girl in Belle's yellow ball gown from Beauty and the Beast: lovely work.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Kokon Tozai » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:11 pm

Just FYI from a few days ago:

After sifting through our records and double-checking our figures, we now have our official 2014 attendance numbers for those who are wondering.

The official count for this year was 7203 paid attendees, 190 exhibitors, 111 guests and media, and 193 staff members for a total of 7697. We grew by about 1,100 attendees this year.

Naka-Kon is still a 100 percent fan-run convention (all of our staff are volunteers—no one here is getting paid), so we really appreciate all of the support we have gotten over the years from the fans who return year after year and also from those first-time visitors who make their way to our convention. We would like to thank everyone who helped make Naka-Kon 2014 such a big success, and we hope to see all you next March at Naka-Kon 2015!
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

PreviousNext

Return to Event Discussion