Drafthouse events

Event information, Information, Meeting Recaps, Conventions, Personal Events, Parties.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, Kokon Tozai

Drafthouse events

Postby bakamatt » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:23 am

Looks like the Drafthouse might have meant it when they talked about doing monthly anime screenings. Though I don't know that I know anyone who's seen Blue Exorcist, and had no idea there was a movie.

http://drafthouse.com/movies/blue-exorcist-the-movie/kansas_city
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Re: Drafthouse events

Postby ca_jas » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:24 pm

That's great news! I don't even know Blue Exorcist but I'll go just to support it. On a related note, next wednesday Alamo will be screening Battle Royale. A good chunk of us went to see it at Screenland but here's another chance to see it on the big screen.

http://drafthouse.com/movies/battle_royale/kansas_city
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:18 pm

It's a shounen jump show if I recall. I watched the first 10 or so episodes, but it felt like it was going nowhere at the time. It has some nice character designs. Kana Hanazawa voices the main heroine
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby kaworu5 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:12 am

Nice catch, Matt! ('∇^d) ナイス☆

Hmmm… I was going to start Attack on Titan this weekend, but I guess I’ll watch Blue Exorcist. It’s been on my Crunchyroll queue since I started my account, so I guess now’s the time. Barring me absolutely hating the show, I anticipate making the Sunday showing. Sucks that it’s dubbed, but I’m glad the Alamo website stated the language it would play in. I never enjoy having surprises like that.

I think the best news out of this is that Blue Exorcist as an Aniplex title, and now we know Aniplex works with Alamo, so they should be a shoe-in for the Madoka movie in November. Of course, a poor turnout for this movie may persuade them otherwise, but not showing Madoka would be just turning away money considering the last showing.
kaworu5
Anime Enthusiast

Postby bakamatt » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:27 am

bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:45 pm

Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby ca_jas » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:10 pm

Tsunami3k wrote:

That could be pure gold.

THERE. SO THERE.
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby kaworu5 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:31 pm

I definitely want to see this. My favorite Japanese comedy show ended last year, so maybe I can see where the clips come from and pick up a show or two.

If anyone was wondering about the Blue Exorcist turnout, the management was nice enough to put it in their second-largest theater, but only about 15 people turned out, including one disappointed cosplayer (technically crossplayer, I think). It was my first time to the Alamo and, although I liked the unique take on a theater and the dine-in possibility, I’m not sold on the seat reservation system. It seems that if you reserve your ticket online, you have to pick your exact seat at that time. While this is very nice for solo visits, it seems to be tough to organize moderate to large group gatherings. I can’t see if you can change your seat after you reserve it online, which would suck if others in your group either buy at the counter and others have already reserved the seats by you. I think it would be nice to have an option of selecting general admission ticket online, meet up with friends at the theater, and pick your seat at that time when others buy theirs.

I don’t show anything anime-related in their upcoming October features. Maybe they felt Sept 30 was close enough to October for it to count and anime = anything Japanese. November may just be Madoka, but hopefully not right after Thanksgiving b/c I try to avoid the plaza at that chaotic time of year.
kaworu5
Anime Enthusiast

Postby bakamatt » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:38 pm

Thanks for the Blue Exorcist update. It sure didn't seem like a strong candidate to me for a big turnout.

I'll confess I'm kind of daunted by the prospect of getting to and from the place; I'd be more likely to show up for one of these if there was a rendezvous off-site with one person driving, at least until I learn my way around.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby kaworu5 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:30 pm

bakamatt wrote:I'll confess I'm kind of daunted by the prospect of getting to and from the place; I'd be more likely to show up for one of these if there was a rendezvous off-site with one person driving, at least until I learn my way around.

So true! I looked at Alamo's site and read other sites about parking before going, and I still don't understand it. Alamo site says the H&R Block parking structure (pretty much catty corner to the theater) is the best bet, but it is closed when there is a Sprint Center event. At the time Michael Buble was there (and plenty of middle-aged women about), but I could still get in that parking. I initially went to parking one block north, but the ticket machine was broken and when I asked if I needed a ticket, the so very nice and kind lady said "GO TO THE LEFT!" I parked and read a sign that said it would be $25 for a lost ticket, so I asked around and apparently the H&R Block lot was open. I got out of there (while the machine was broken) and re-parked. There is a bit of a barrier of entry, though. You can park for free if you give the attendant the name of the movie you are seeing. My attendant had follow-up questions about the film and I told her it was Japanese anime. She said she knew someone that would like that and I said "Yeah, there tends to be one of those kind of people in every family..." You have to park on the lowest levels and no ticket is needed, at least for the showings past 7pm, b/c there is no attendant and the gate is open as you leave. I think all of the posted parking rules apply only for M-F 8a-5p and everything else is single pay at the gate. However, the fact that the Alamo site says it isn't accessible during Sprint events is puzzling. Plus, on 9/30 Nine Inch Nails is playing (yes, still playing). So after the movie we can maybe go and relive my middle/early high school days.
kaworu5
Anime Enthusiast

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:19 pm

Parking downtown sucks. That is why I avoid stuff downtown if I can help it. If it is a weekend, you could park at crown center for free and ride the bus to the theater.
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:22 pm

The Plaza area in general turns me [right] 'round [baby, right 'round].
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby ca_jas » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:11 am

ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:Parking downtown sucks. That is why I avoid stuff downtown if I can help it. If it is a weekend, you could park at crown center for free and ride the bus to the theater.

Ya! For Alamo the bus drops off a block away. So as long as the showings doesn't last longer than midnight I can easily catch the bus back home. So if one could navigate the plaza parking, it'd be easy to grab the bus from the plaza to the theaters. Crown Center is good too unless it's on the weekdays, then gotta pay.
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby ca_jas » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:59 pm

Don't forget! Monday is the screening of the bizarre japanese game shows at drafthouse!
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby kaworu5 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:05 am

Tried Alamo's online ticket order system for tomorrow's show. I'll be at row 3, seat 16.

I also looked at the upcoming showings calendar and see that they added Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust for Wednesday, October 23. I'm especially happy with their description.
Only shown in six theaters across the United States, VAMPIRE HUNTER D:BLOODLUST returns to the bigscreen! This is also the kick off of our monthly anime series, celibrating all things Anime in thier origonal subtitled form!
kaworu5
Anime Enthusiast

Next

Return to Event Discussion