Motaku 2013

Event information, Information, Meeting Recaps, Conventions, Personal Events, Parties.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, Kokon Tozai

Re: Motaku 2013

Postby bakamatt » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:50 am

This thread has been well and truly hijacked. My work here is done.

Scott, thanks for the kind words. Happy to know you, too!

(Tim, gratz for 3K posts; I have 11 to go.)
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:01 am

Dragging the thread back on track, I just heard a Motaku co-founder (Jared?) and a Funimation rep do a fifteen-minute interview on local NPR affiliate KCUR's Central Standard. It wasn't, I'm pleased to say, a hatchet job - mostly they're not these days, but you never know. But the interviewer didn't ask the right questions and the guests didn't steer things in any useful direction: a mundane or "mainstream" sf fan listening wouldn't come out of it with any better idea of what the deal is than they did going in. And, of course, the "anime = Dragonball and Pokemon" meme got reinforced. Oh well, there's still pretty much no such thing as bad publicity.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:34 pm

I feel like my wallet is on a short string around Kurt, and he just has to tug on the string and my wallet just flys out of my pocket
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:30 pm

Apparently mine is on a long string to very similar ends. Thanks for the book hookup Baka and Zero!
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:50 am

"Baja"?

If you think I'm going to let that pass...
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:10 am

bakamatt wrote:"Baja"?

If you think I'm going to let that pass...

Who are either of us to know better than my phone's autocorrect?
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:29 am

Overall, I wasn't that impressed by Motaku. Well, the one good thing was I didn't have to stand in line for registration on Friday, and the longest I ever saw the registration line on Saturday was like 10 people maybe. Wouldn't have probably spent anything in the dealer room, if not for Kurt and his evil dark magic. Even if it is only 5 years old, 2 video rooms, 2 programming rooms, and a gaming room was about all there was to it. I think Naka-kon had almost that much their first year :lol:
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:47 am

I also was expecting that I might not spend anything, but Curt got me right between the eyes: three Patlabor art books and two Madoka. Plus posters: 3x3 Eyes and Steam Detectives. (Not that I have any more wall space: they went straight into storage, still rolled. :oops: The only thing I got from anyone else was that same deck of Spice and Wolf playing cards as ZR74.

Curt was complaining that his sales were down from prior years there - he's not sure he's going to be back, or if he is, he'll take fewer tables. His perception is that the membership skews young. Someone else remarked he thought the parking wasn't as congested as at previous times. I also breezed pretty much instantly through registration. I can't say I see these as healthy signs.

But let's be fair: if we weren't spoiled by Naka, and Motaku was the only game in town, it's be a much more important event to me, at least.

I watched most of episode two of Karnival, and really kind of liked it. Brian, Shawn, and I were the contestants for Name That Tune and, yeah, Brian beat me again. But not by so much; after an awful first half, I started getting songs I knew and I was catching up. And we sat in on Challenger on Fire, though none of us won any of the rounds. I'm pretty far on my way of thinking that there's just too much material out there and no one can really dominate trivia any more unless the contest has a focus or theme that might happen to play to someone's strength. As mentioned elsewhere, we met Reinhart, which was nice.

I was there about four hours. At this point I think the way to make Motaku work well will be to augment it, either with a hotel suite (in the unlikely event I'm feeling that well-heeled) or an off-site party.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby kaworu5 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:15 am

As always, the best part was getting to see everyone there and it was great to meet Reinhart. Dominating Name That Tune was nice, too. Of course, it’s hard to say who won when there were no answers. I continued my streak of not buying anything in the dealers room. Sad to hear Curt may not be back, but considering the demographic and his content, I can’t say I disagree with his decision.

After Challenger on Fire, I was planning on watching The Princess and the Pilot (since it got a good review on ANN and it’s a NIS release that may be OOP soon). However, the showings person said the Blu-ray disk was heat damaged (how, I do not know) and couldn’t play, so I left after that.

I definitely can’t say that the attendance rose from last year. It felt the same or a little thinner. I think Motaku can stay around 1,000 by just being a secondary social-con for the year. Getting it beyond that would be tough, considering they’ve had similar attendance for the past three years.
kaworu5
Anime Enthusiast

Previous

Return to Event Discussion