The Last Unicorn Played at the Alamo Drafthouse

Event information, Information, Meeting Recaps, Conventions, Personal Events, Parties.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, Kokon Tozai

The Last Unicorn Played at the Alamo Drafthouse

Postby Tsunami3k » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:41 am

Yes, this is past-tense. Connor asked me to relay this and in true d-bag fashion I totally spaced it. Anyway, I'm posting this so that maybe we can keep an eye out for future showings there.

Connor Cochran wrote:I wanted to post a message that would let everyone in the Anime Society of Kansas City know about
a special anime-related movie event we're running in KC on 6/7.

On 6/7 we're running a special screening of THE LAST UNICORN at the Alamo Drafthouse
Mainstreet, with author-screenwriter Peter S. Beagle at the show. It's all part of bringing
this classic animated film back to theaters in a big way for the first time in 30 years. I've
attached a press release that explains everything, and some screen grabs from the amazing new
digital print we will be showing.

In addition, here's an article from the Austin Chronicle about the film and the screening
tour (our first dates on the road, before coming to KC, are all in Texas):
http://www.austinchronicle.com/screens/ ... servation/

I particularly want to get the news out in KC because I'm from there -- I grew up in Prairie
Village, and a lot of my old friends are KU alum. It's going to be great to be back, even
briefly, for this special event.

Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Re: The Last Unicorn Played at the Alamo Drafthouse

Postby ca_jas » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:48 am

Yeah apparently the author was there, did some signings and chatted it up with the audience. Alamo has also screened Akira in the past. A friend of mine tried to tell me that Alamo is nothing but a major theater disguising itself as an independent movie theater, but I'm not sure I see it that way. They have been putting on a lot of great events for cult interests and giving it proper attention. I saw a category III hong kong adult movie there and it was one of the funniest experiences I've had. Where else would I go to see that? :lol:
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Return to Event Discussion