Poppy Hill in Springfield

Event information, Information, Meeting Recaps, Conventions, Personal Events, Parties.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, Kokon Tozai

Re: Poppy Hill in Springfield

Postby kaworu5 » Wed May 22, 2013 12:36 pm

Show times are up: http://www.tivolikc.com/earlyindex.html

FRI - SUN: 1:45, 4:30 & 7:15
MON - THUR: 1:45, 4:30 & 7:15

Does anyone know the size of the theater? If it's under 100 seats, may need to pre-order tickets.
kaworu5
Anime Enthusiast

Postby ca_jas » Wed May 22, 2013 2:01 pm

Hmm no need to preorder. It can fill 200+ I think. And there's not a lot of promotion for it so most people will sleep on it. I'll be there friday!!!
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Wed May 22, 2013 9:03 pm

I would like to hit the 7:15 showing. Anyone want to meetup at Sama Zama beforehand?
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby ca_jas » Wed May 22, 2013 10:35 pm

ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:I would like to hit the 7:15 showing. Anyone want to meetup at Sama Zama beforehand?

Ill meet up with you! Wanna shoot for 6 or earlier?
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Thu May 23, 2013 6:25 am

That sounds good
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Chief » Thu May 23, 2013 11:21 pm

Thanks for the well-wishes, guys!

My fiancé and I will be at the 7:15 showing on Fri. :)
Chief
Anime Aficionado

Postby bakamatt » Sat May 25, 2013 7:32 am

I'm going to assume that Goro decided to make a movie he could use to reconcile with his dad: the tension between tradition and progress was the major motif.

The only part that didn't work for me was that the "romantic complication," and the resolution thereto, were as clumsy and contrived as I've ever seen. Past that, I really liked the nostalgic portrayal of 1964 Yokohama; the movie was, of course, very pretty (though the animation and background characters were sometimes kind of low-budget); and the characters and character dynamics were appealing.

Poppy Hill doesn't make up for that terrible Earthsea, but it's a step in the right direction.

I hadn't realized that Buena Vista (Disney) isn't distributing Studio Ghibli any more.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Sat May 25, 2013 9:52 am

It wasn't great, but it was certainly watchable. I was kind of surprised by the lack of detail in the animation. Didn't really seem like Ghibli quality. And really, if Goro's father didn't run the studio, there is no way he would be directing movies for Ghibli. The Gkids deal is kind of weird. I guess Gkis handles the theatrical releases (I guess Disney probably doesn't want to deal with such low grossing films). If this is supposed to be Goro's look forward to the future, the future is kind of bleak for Ghibli. They should probably stop making movies when the old men retires
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby ca_jas » Sat May 25, 2013 6:48 pm

I think it was pretty good but the ending was very anti-climactic. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the original manga or Goro's directing. I can't really tell the difference between the two directors style, both seem to have the same interests, particularly showing how people do/make things in their day-to-day lives. Maybe Studio Ghibli has hit a brick wall on what they can express through stories geared at children. We need a new mature Ghibli movie!
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Sun May 26, 2013 8:33 am

You can tell it wasn't Hayao because there was no underlying Man is evil, technology is evil theme
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Sun May 26, 2013 9:32 am

ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:You can tell it wasn't Hayao because there was no underlying Man is evil, technology is evil theme

Just curious but which movie(s) did you come away thinking that?
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Sun May 26, 2013 12:18 pm

Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Nausica, ponyo, howles moving castle, spirited away. To an extent its kind of in this one to. don't destroy our old clubhouse to build something new. In his interviews as well it seems like hayao dislikes technology and probably still be using 100% cell animation if he could. I still like his films but he is quite the crumungeon
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Sun May 26, 2013 3:10 pm

Miyazaki's belief that man can't be trusted with technology is most evident in Nausicaa and Mononoke, but it does turn up elsewhere. Ultimately I think his main grievance is that the past was better than the future will ever be - in that regard I think a distrust of technology is more a symptom than a cause. Even when he's celebrating flight, the technology's always archaic, up to his current project.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Chief » Sun May 26, 2013 5:17 pm

You can tell it wasn't Hayao because there was no underlying Man is evil, technology is evil theme

I find a lot of the above comments rather odd since Hayao wrote the script. :P

Also, I think this statement is a massive oversimplification of his work - I don't get this feeling out of his movies, TV shows, or comics.
Chief
Anime Aficionado

Postby Tsunami3k » Mon May 27, 2013 1:20 am

Chief wrote:

I find a lot of the above comments rather odd since Hayao wrote the script. :P

Also, I think this statement is a massive oversimplification of his work - I don't get this feeling out of his movies, TV shows, or comics.

This was what I was testing the fence for. I always thought of Miyazaki Sr's angle as that of a non-judgmental variant of man vs. nature such that the struggle of humanity for survival was held as equally valid as that of any other creature and that technology, while likewise not inherently evil, is prone throw said struggle into imbalance if adopted hastily and without care. I guess it's a testament to his neutral portrayal thereof that one could leave with a reflection of their own sentiment. Now where did I put my "Nuke the Whales" bumper sticker...?
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Event Discussion