2012 Winterfest Gathering

Event information, Information, Meeting Recaps, Conventions, Personal Events, Parties.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, Kokon Tozai

Re: 2012 Winterfest Gathering

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:51 am

Had a great time today. Just to see (or rather hear) what you missed. Sing along, FIRE ROCK EMOTION!!!
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime onlineImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:55 am

Thanks to everyone who was able to make it on such short notice. I've never even tried for a holiday gathering given everyone's traditionally chaotic schedules but this proves that it's possible. We watched all of Fractale during the day and popped in Towa no Quan after we made our evening Minsky's run. The former was enjoyable but conventional, wrapped in intriguing notions that never were fully capitalized on capped by a pretty standard ending. The latter was even more conventional which, having such similar shows back to back, resulted in our petering out after 2 "feature length" episodes. As Zero noted, the ending music was the highlight for all the wrong reasons.

We topped the evening off with what are among the best Christmas episode picks from our thread:

Those Who Hunt Elves[Ep. 21] - Those Who Wait For Noel
Irresponsible Captain Tylor(OAV)[Ep. 6] - White Christmas

I might dare to say that this left me in a fairly festive mood!

Oh, the white elephant exchange was fun and I can now say that I get the concept a lot better. I really thought it was just "bring stuff and trade it" rather than a blind pick vs. take thing. I ended up with a copy of Gravitation of all things, lol. I'm sure it's no less pretentious than Saiyuki, the tradeoff being that it's mercifully shorter at the loss of a transforming dragon/jeep. I saw the first episode on a NewType disk ages ago. The main dude liked some other dude who was a douche to him which I presume is kind of the show's thing.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Chief » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:58 pm

I had a really good time - shame that logistics couldn't let me stay longer.

Personally, I'm kind of intrigued by Towa no Quon. It wasn't an original idea, but I enjoyed it because it was like watching an anime version of X-men. I found it entertaining that Quon has Professor X's personality with Wolverine's powers and Solider Blue's character design from Toward the Terra. Frankencharacter.

I also love Hironobu Kageyama (the theme song vocalist) and his BURNING ROCK EMOTION voice. I can't be sad when I listen to him. He also sings the Heat Guy J opening, which someone ended up with at the swap. The song does not have bagpipes.

I'm happy that I ended up with stuff I had been meaning to watch in the swap. Black Lagoon has been on my radar for awhile.

Enjoy your Gravitation, Tim... ;)
(And yes, the OAV was directed by Nabeshin...)
Chief
Anime Aficionado

Postby Tsunami3k » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:05 am

How the heck is it that I have the Heatguy J OST and it doesn't have this track on it? Damnit again Japan!!
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Kokon Tozai » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:23 am

It's obvious I missed a heck of a good time and some good anime watching as well. I can not find Irresponsible Captain Tylor Xmas eps anywhere on YouTube or streaming.... maybe some on can point me to it?

However was able to watch the Those Who Hunt Elves & wait for NOEL show. Really good special treat. It had a strong feeling of Déjà vu....I'm thinking:
more than a few years ago Matt e mailed me & told me he discovered that the University of Kansas actually had an anime club! On that day, a Wednesday, they were having a special viewing of anime Christmas shows. Matt asked, would I want to go cuz he was. My older daughter was attending KU so it wasn't too hard to find a reason. My wife & I drove down. Susan shopped with my daughter & I went to the anime meeting. The selection of titles was wonderful & it was the first time I met Brian, Kaworu5, holy crap even before Naka-Kon was born.

So anyway I am pretty sure that the TWHE eps was shown & Brian confessed that his first anime Xmas show was Pokemon? Am I right?
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:26 am

Wasn't me. I can't remember what would have been my first anime christmas episode. Probably Robotech, as I am pretty sure there is one in there somewhere
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime onlineImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Previous

Return to Event Discussion