Madoka Magica Double Feature @ the Screenland

Event information, Information, Meeting Recaps, Conventions, Personal Events, Parties.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, Kokon Tozai

Re: Madoka Magica Double Feature @ the Screenland

Postby kaworu5 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:22 pm

Sorry I’m late to the discussion. I changed my password and email at the same time and the board inactivated me and I didn’t understand that b/c I don’t read the messages it gives me, b/c I don't trust computers to give me information I need.

Unfortunately, I’m not sure I can make a pre-food run b/c I’m worried about getting a couch, which I think will be really nice for this. I looked at the run time for the movies and the first is 130 min and second is 109 min (239 total), which means we’ll be sitting from 7pm to 11pm or after considering an intermission. So for a 4+ hour movie, I’ll definitely want a couch. Plus this has a potential for a lot of people to be there. Granted the ticket counter was wonky the first few days, but I’ve looked at it practically daily and it seems to have gone down in fairly even amounts. It is now at 55 tickets remaining, which means 95/150 are sold and that’s not counting those sold at door (if any are available). So the need for a couch and knowing that others with the same need are coming means I’m probably going to show up there at 6pm or earlier, assuming they let me in. Plus I don’t know where I would park if that small lot fills up. Besides, the theater serves alcohol so I may have my dinner in a bottle that night.

It should be interesting to hear from people who are seeing the movies without seeing the series. However, given that the movies are 239 min and the series is about 264 min, it should be close to a shot-for-shot remake, just paving the way for the third original movie. If anything, it may be best to watch the movies and think of the series as an extended “director’s cut.”

I can only hope the ticket counter is correct, though. If there is a solid turnout, it may make KC a lock for the original third movie coming out in 2013. It would especially be nice if this paves the way for other films to have a US release soon after the Japanese debut (since Madoka films came out in Japan earlier this month, compared to a year and a half wait for the Eva 2.0 film).

That's a shame to hear about the Screenland being up for sale. Hopefully someone finds it a good home and buys it. I wonder if the new Drafthouse on Main cornered the market on showing old or slightly out dated movies.

All in all, it should be fun. Also, Naka-Kon is giving a badge away at the event (Forum post). Thank god there’s no one who is on/runs these board that would intentionally miss this without any purpose whatsoever. ( →_→) ジロ
kaworu5
Anime Enthusiast

Postby Tsunami3k » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:35 am

kaworu5 wrote:Thank god there’s no one who is on/runs these board that would intentionally miss this without any purpose whatsoever. ( →_→) ジロ

After considerable deliberation, I think I've formulated the most apt response...

Spoiler: show
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:39 am

Counter is at 38 at 10:30 AM. I'm surprised (though pleased) they got that kind of response for such a pricey ticket.

My arrival time remains uncertain, so I still can't commit to a dinner. I also share some of K's concerns regarding getting a good seat. Although maybe I don't want to be too comfortable - this is going to be the latest I've stayed up in some time. (I'm the most diurnal person I know.)

I'm going to bring a few copies of the anthology of Christmas-themed anime songs I and a friend compiled some years ago, in case anyone would be amused to have one.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:43 am

Tsunami3k wrote:After considerable deliberation, I think I've formulated the most apt response...

Is that that nice Mr. Bill Murray? I'm shocked.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:45 am

bakamatt wrote:I'm going to bring a few copies of the anthology of Christmas-themed anime songs I and a friend compiled some years ago, in case anyone would be amused to have one.

I can attest to the quality of the compilation. I shared it with my parents over Christmas a few years ago and it was marginally better received than my Grave of the Fireflies showing.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Tsunami3k » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:48 am

bakamatt wrote:
Tsunami3k wrote:After considerable deliberation, I think I've formulated the most apt response...

Is that that nice Mr. Bill Murray? I'm shocked.

No, I believe something was lost in translation. The person is, in fact, Colin Mochrie from a comedy improv show called [i]Whose Line is it Anyway[/b].
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:48 am

Tsunami3k wrote:
bakamatt wrote:I'm going to bring a few copies of the anthology of Christmas-themed anime songs I and a friend compiled some years ago, in case anyone would be amused to have one.

I can attest to the quality of the compilation. I shared it with my parents over Christmas a few years ago and it was marginally better received than my Grave of the Fireflies showing.

My anthology was "marginally better received" than a Christmas screening of Grave of the Fireflies? That's, bar none, the best job of damning with faint praise I've ever seen. :lol:
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:57 am

bakamatt wrote:
Tsunami3k wrote:

My anthology was "marginally better received" than a Christmas screening of Grave of the Fireflies? That's, bar none, the best job of damning with faint praise I've ever seen. :lol:

It's fair to say that my choices in introductory anime media thus far have been dubious at best. Somewhat tangentially, I also watched Schindler's List on my birthday one year.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:19 pm

Tsunami3k wrote: Somewhat tangentially, I also watched Schindler's List on my birthday one year.

Okay, we've established that when Tim recommends something, we can be darn sure it'll be more entertaining than getting a root canal.

Although, the one time I exposed some absolute mundane friends to anime music, the response was a face-wrinkled, "What the hell is that?" This was from a gay couple whose entire music library consisted, honest-to-God, of show tunes, so they were ones to talk...
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:12 pm

Christmas anime songs lol. I got an mp3 of the cast of Sailor Moon singing Silent Night
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby ca_jas » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:19 pm

I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it to Denny's but I will be at the movie. Yell at me if you see me, cause I'm not sure I'll be able to spot anyone if there's 100+ people lol.
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby TectonicMuse » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:10 pm

Wait! Do we have a meeting time for Denny's? Does 5:30 or 6 sound alright?
TectonicMuse
Anime Aficionado

Postby bakamatt » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:46 am

Well, they pretty near sold the joint out. Hope that bodes well for further anime events.

Good to see folk!
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Chief » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:40 pm

The man and I had a really good time. We were really surprised at how many people were there - some were even in costume! I didn't expect them to hand out free posters, either.

I like the new retro arcade that they've installed. The "Fix-it Felix" sign on one of the out of order machines was a special kind of awesome.

The movies themselves were quite good. None of the special effects changes resulted in a "Mami shot first!" situation. I did find the exclusion of two particular scenes rather puzzling...

I don't know why they chose to leave out Mami's backstory, and I don't know why they omitted Homura kicking ass at school/sports after her initial failures the first go-around.

I also don't know why these scenes were present...

I don't know why they have the spoiler-heavy imagery in the movie opening footage, and the TV show opening was sandwiched in such a strange part of the film.

Other than the above, minor quibbles...I still really, really enjoyed these films. They are an excellent way to watch the series.
Chief
Anime Aficionado

Postby TectonicMuse » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:10 pm

Ah, I missed that they left those out. Also,

The scene including homura's confrontation to Sayuka when he tries to give her the grief seed was left out for some reason. That scene included important notes on homura's mindset at the time. I think.
TectonicMuse
Anime Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to Event Discussion