Madoka Magica Double Feature @ the Screenland

Event information, Information, Meeting Recaps, Conventions, Personal Events, Parties.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, Kokon Tozai

Re: Madoka Magica Double Feature @ the Screenland

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:26 pm

I work down in that area (well maybe not after monday). I would be up for anything. There is dennys not from there if i recall
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:32 pm

I'd be a party to a pre-viewing feed if my time allows, but I know nothing about that area.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby TectonicMuse » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:27 pm

Jas and Tim: I'm curious whether the nature of the movie (in that it is basically a retelling of the same story as the anime")
makes it more or less likely that we'll be seeing you on Wednesday. Thoughts?
TectonicMuse
Anime Aficionado

Postby Tsunami3k » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:12 am

Less, much less.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:49 am

I'm not happy about the "retelling" aspect of the movies, myself. At first I was thinking in terms of the Utena and Escaflowne movies, and the earlier Eva "re-endings", and that it would have been sub-optimal to have seen them before their respective episodic versions.

But I finally decided:

1. I'm not that vested in Madoka in the first place, and
2. These two movies constitute much less of an abridgment of the series than the above examples, and
3. The ANN review called the movies a viable treatment, and
4. I wanted to support the event.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby TectonicMuse » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:47 pm

To be honest, I'm not sure at all what to expect. The show is only 13 episodes with each episode being the standard 20ish minutes (including OPs and EDs). The fact that the story is told in two movies makes me think that not much is cut out. I'll be interested to see what changes, if anything (outside of retouched, improved art)

If they really didn't change anything, this may be a good chance for new viewers to get the whole thing done in a sitting.
TectonicMuse
Anime Aficionado

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:20 pm

bakamatt wrote:I'd be a party to a pre-viewing feed if my time allows, but I know nothing about that area.

It's not to far from Crown Center or downtown. You would have better luck finding parking in Crown Center then anywhere downtown
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Chief » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:47 pm

I'm going!! :)
I just found out about this. I woke my boyfriend up to ask him to take me. He was too tired to think to say no. HA!! WOMAN PLOT SUCCESSFUL!

I love Madoka Magica. I don't care if it's the show all over again...I want to see it big and in surround sound.

Even though I'll have to wake up early the next day to volunteer at the cat shelter, lol.
Chief
Anime Aficionado

Postby bakamatt » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:08 am

Chief wrote:HA!! WOMAN PLOT SUCCESSFUL!

<shiver>

Even though I'll have to wake up early the next day to volunteer at the cat shelter, lol.

On Thanksgiving? What a good person!
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ca_jas » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:29 pm

I'll be going for sure, it's this Wednesday right? I don't really have any attachment to the series since I never watched it, plus I really want to support anime in theaters, so there's no excuse for me not to go. Whoever feels like being the leader, formulate a game plan of where we should all meet up if not initially at the theater. I'll be taking the bus.
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby Tsunami3k » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:38 pm

This is killing me. All of my amigos are going to be there... T~T
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Kokon Tozai » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:21 am

I haven't seen the series, I don't know much about it but if at all possible I would love to be there for all the good reasons mentioned earlier. Trouble is our big family Thanksgiving dinner is at my house, about twenty all together to be ready for. I probably won't make my mind up for sure until Wednesday if I can get all my obligatory stuff done & still go.

As for the discussion of having eats before the show I will at least suggest Denny's on Broadway. A dive I guess but always interesting people watching. It's literally one block over within walking distance of the Screenland. And look! How the heck can ya not love this!!:

http://dennys.com/#/menu/menu-46
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby bakamatt » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:46 am

You know, Scott, you (and Ben) keep letting things like family and work get in the way of your fandom. I think some re-prioritization might be in order. :twisted:

That Denny's Hobbit menu is something I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around; just a smidge of cognitive dissonance.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby TectonicMuse » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:35 pm

Tsunami3k wrote:This is killing me. All of my amigos are going to be there... T~T

I won't presume to tell you to go ahead and go, because I don't want to be responsible for the possibility (however slight) of ruining a show for someone.
But I WILL tell you it'd be a blast to have you there, and that you'd be missed for the event. :P

Ah, hoping you can make it too, Scott. Good luck!

Update:
Makeshift twitter poll of friends that have seen it confirms that not much changes at all; and that the quality of the movie makes it a better way to start than the show.
Last edited by TectonicMuse on Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TectonicMuse
Anime Aficionado

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:20 am

bakamatt wrote:You know, Scott, you (and Ben) keep letting things like family and work get in the way of your fandom. I think some re-prioritization might be in order. :twisted:

That Denny's Hobbit menu is something I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around; just a smidge of cognitive dissonance.

I recently bought the Hobbit kindle edition and have been reading that in preparation for the movie next month
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

PreviousNext

Return to Event Discussion