CurtCon 2012!

Event information, Information, Meeting Recaps, Conventions, Personal Events, Parties.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, Kokon Tozai

CurtCon 2012!

Postby Tsunami3k » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:48 pm

I'm working on setting up a trip to Asylum Anime in Pittsburgh, KS. Typically this semi-annuallish has been a one-car affair so it's remained relatively word-of-mouth thus far. But there's been enough interest that I thought I'd post it up so that we can organize a caravan if there's enough interest and/or Matt's brought up the interesting possibility of renting a big Econoline van for the day (the perfect size for giant sheets of foamcore board). In any case, I've coordinated with Curt for a tentative time of October 27th so check your schedules.

For those of you who haven't been to Curt's place before, it's a really neat setup and well worth the trip. Anyone is welcome to come along. I don't anticipate it being a problem but, if for some reason there's difficulty in accommodating everyone, then those who are actually planning on buying things will take precedence over sightseers. Plan for a relatively all-day event. Usually he's got a lot of stuff to check out and it all needs sweet, sweet attention. It is not our place to neglect it.

More details to follow but figure on queuing up at my place fairly early so we can get there at a decent time.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Re: CurtCon 2012!

Postby bakamatt » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:40 am

Tim, thanks for coordinating!

Tsunami3k wrote: (the perfect size for giant sheets of foamcore board)

I'm the one with the foamcore fetish...

Plan for a relatively all-day event.

Emphasis. It's 'prox two hours' drive to and from, we generally seem to be at Curt's place about three hours, and there's a meal in there somewhere, so roughly eight hours.

But you got the equivalent of a dealers' room worth of swag (no exaggeration), without that distracting con wrapped around it. Curt is particularly strong on cels and production sketches, art books, and (my passion) posters; less so on statues and fiddly little collectibles, and I don't know if he has any manga, costumes/props, CDs, wall scrolls, or DVDs these days. Non-trivial amounts of stuff from older shows, along with the current ones.

Also note, it's a warehouse; there's little in the way of creature comforts such as chairs, and it'll probably be cold in there. Nor is the stock particularly well organized or conveniently displayed - you got to dig, and crouch.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby kaworu5 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:05 am

I'm in! ヽ(^◇^*)/ ワーイ

I'll also add that he can process credit (and debit?) cards, but cash makes for an easier transaction.
kaworu5
Anime Enthusiast

Postby Aldric » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:37 am

oh noes! I'm gonna have to miss this year :( The folks are going to be in town visiting that weekend. I expect to be regailed with tales of busting into mystery boxes to find tons of out of box figures and lavish cell collections.
Ben in real life
Aldric
Anime Connoisseur

Postby Tsunami3k » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:01 am

Aldric wrote:oh noes! I'm gonna have to miss this year :( The folks are going to be in town visiting that weekend. I expect to be regailed with tales of busting into mystery boxes to find tons of out of box figures and lavish cell collections.

No worries Ben, I'm sure Curt would love to meet your parents and he's always got something for everyone! Worst-case is that they could do a little Christmas shopping for their coolest son.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:16 am

Aldric wrote:oh noes! I'm gonna have to miss this year :(

Sorry to hear! (And I expect Curt will be sorry too.)
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:54 am

Sounds like fun. Need to check if I am on call that weekend
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime onlineImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby TectonicMuse » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:23 pm

Ahh, that might be a bit close to Halloween for me. I don't know I'd have the funds to spend at that point in time either. (>_<")
Sorry, but It looks like I'll have to hold this one off till next time.
TectonicMuse
Anime Aficionado

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:46 pm

I am free looking forward to this
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:48 pm

T-10 days and counting. Well, it's looking like we've got exactly a carload. Hopefully timing will work out better and more can make it next time. If we're not exhausted by the trip then perhaps we can regale everyone with tales of our adventure.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:30 am

Tsunami3k wrote:it's looking like we've got exactly a carload.

Not to muddy the water, but I may have an old friend in town who will want to come along. Hopefully this will firm up one way or the other soon. Also, we have yet to hear back from Scott, do we not?
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ca_jas » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:49 am

I can't make it because of work but I'm excited to see what you guys discover. Can you let me know if there's any Urusei Yatsura merch for future reference?
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby bakamatt » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:21 pm

ca_jas wrote:Can you let me know if there's any Urusei Yatsura merch for future reference?

At the Japan festival they had at least one nice poster of Lum. I got a different, very neat poster of her - art deco style, not the usual tiger-skin bikini but a rather torchy ritual battle outfit - on the last CurtCon.

As to what he'll have this time, we'll see.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:25 pm

I seem to recall him having one of those giant posters of Lum, but I think those go for like a 100 bucks
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Kokon Tozai » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:13 pm

It is a unwanted tradition that I'm not able to attend these expeditions. The last Saturday in the month I work all day in Emporia & the 27th is that. I'll be as far south as you guys but way to the west....

Give me a call if you find any City Hunter stuff & have big fun!!
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Next

Return to Event Discussion