Naka-Kon 2013

Event information, Information, Meeting Recaps, Conventions, Personal Events, Parties.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, Kokon Tozai

Re: Naka-Kon 2013

Postby kaworu5 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:52 am

Chief wrote:How long do the autograph lines get?

Some past years have had a pretty chaotic and large autograph line, but this year they're taking a smart approach by having a non-moving location for autographs and three sessions for Uematsu. My guess is that the Friday one will be the best chance, since Saturday is the biggest day and lots of people will put it off until Sunday. Word on the street is that attendance is expected to be quite higher than last year so I hope, even with three sessions, everyone that wants an autograph can get one. FF7 sheet music sounds like the perfect thing for him to sign and much better than what I have prepared.

I'm working the graveyard shift (midnight-9am) in Con Ops, but hope to see everyone here and there. Looking at the schedule, I don't know if I want to sleep before or after my shift.
kaworu5
Anime Enthusiast

Postby TectonicMuse » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:50 pm

Finally took a look at the schedule.
To be honest, there isn't really much that jumps out to me, so I'll probably play it by ear this year.

If we end up doing anything as a group, it'll probably be the highlight of the weekend for me, haha. :D
TectonicMuse
Anime Aficionado

Postby ca_jas » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:02 pm

Although it's possible to have a large wave of Soul Eater cosplayers this year, that series has been pretty steady in having a lot of people cosplaying it. So I sort of think anime fans in this generation are pretty much cosplaying things around the same time they are released in Japan.
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby bakamatt » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:15 pm

ca_jas wrote:Although it's possible to have a large wave of Soul Eater cosplayers this year, that series has been pretty steady in having a lot of people cosplaying it. So I sort of think anime fans in this generation are pretty much cosplaying things around the same time they are released in Japan.

Truth, except that some characters seem to have a lot of staying power. We still see Yoko, and Alucard, and even Vash or Wormwood sometimes.

There was a good Maka at the last Motaku.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:06 pm

Expect some dead man wonderland since it was on toonami.
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:45 pm

Oh, man. Two-and-a-half hours in line to buy a badge. Get there early, folks, especially if you're not pre-registered.

Tim, Geoff needs to know if he can borrow some shows from you.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:59 pm

bakamatt wrote:Oh, man. Two-and-a-half hours in line to buy a badge. Get there early, folks, especially if you're not pre-registered.

Tim, Geoff needs to know if he can borrow some shows from you.

Yes, I've been coordinating with him this week. I seems that I have been conscripted into providing a fair chunk of the con's viewing material. So is the reg situation better than last year? As I recall, no signage was higher than about 4 feet (aka "below crowd level") which ended up, for me at least, resulting in my unknowingly waiting about 2h in the non-prereg line only to find out that I needed to move to the "reg" line which, after another 45m, allowed me the visibility to see the waist-level signage to move me to the back of the line again to move to the proper "last name starts with" line. Oy! Congoing is tough! ;D Hopefully it's more streamlined this year.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:11 pm

They're making an effort to make sure people are in the correct line, in the form of shouting and waving signs in the air. Which is smallish consolation for having one station open to sell non-pre-reg badges.

Although, to be fair, having registration open at all a day early is nice.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:19 pm

bakamatt wrote:They're making an effort to make sure people are in the correct line, in the form of shouting and waving signs in the air. Which is smallish consolation for having one station open to sell non-pre-reg badges.

Although, to be fair, having registration open at all a day early is nice.

I'm really not that picky. Whatever means are available such that I can go straight to the relevant line for me is really my main priority. That, plus that line being relatively efficient. I have no intention of being high-maintenance at all; I just want to get in and out with as little overhead as possible.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:22 pm

Yeah, Naka-kon is not the greatest when it comes to orderly registration (although it beats Anime Boston a few years ago which had a major meltdown and had people waiting 12 hours for prereg badges). It's kind of a crap shoot from one year to the next as to which line will be longer, the prereg or the other line. I haven't been to a lot of cons in recent years besides Naka-kon, but this is the first time I have seen a con sell badges on Thursday. Thursday night has always been prereg only for the cons I have been to (Otakon, Sakura Kon, AWA, and A-Kon) in the past. It was seen as a courtesy to those who preregistered for the con. Maybe Naka-kon has a large number of walk ups
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:35 pm

I had hoped to register tonight but I had to hit home first to rustle up some media for the con so tomorrow it is. I've heard many a horror story of 8-12+ hour registration lines which thankfully NK hasn't tread into that territory. My 3+ hour episodes last year has a simple fix via effective signage so we'll see how smooth things are this year. I have high hopes which can only be dashed by something unfortunate but I factor in NK's impressive growth rate and temper my judgement with the genuine fact that Naka-Kon has grown at such an impressive rate that scaling registration to handle it must be a genuine challenge.

When it gets down to it, I really admire those that grew this from a napkin and a dream to the significant convention that it is today. Truth be told, I've pissed away a ton of time on startup companies so I admire the idealistic souls that have done likewise to evolve NakaKon into the institution that it is today.

Cheers Naka-Kon staffers!
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:46 pm

There was like one sign at the begining of both lines completely behind the actual people standing in line. There was a couple of staffers pointing in the general direction and handing out registration forms
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby ca_jas » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:02 am

You see guys, all you gotta do is get into the industry somehow as an artist or vendor and you are in and out fast with a badge. :P
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby TectonicMuse » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:05 am

I've been checking out the "mobile guide" that they've provided this year. It's a pretty slick little app. I'm hoping that it'll be a lot simpler than having to whip out the booklet and thumb through it every five seconds.
It includes everything I could think of needing for the event; The map, a complete schedule, panel descriptions, and guest information are all there. It even has a built in personal schedule tool and to-do list!
Not bad at all!
TectonicMuse
Anime Aficionado

Postby Kokon Tozai » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:26 am

MATT:
Oh, man. Two-and-a-half hours in line to buy a badge. Get there early, folks, especially if you're not pre-registered.

Unfortunately I arrived pretty late Friday. Even though I was per-registered the wait was almost 3 hours! I even missed the Blue Chee's concert.

So tomorrow I've already sent a D Mail to myself suggesting I give this a go the day previous & avoid that problem. Hopefully I'll be seeing some of you guys in line ~6pm Thursday evening.
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

PreviousNext

Return to Event Discussion