Naka-Kon 2013

Event information, Information, Meeting Recaps, Conventions, Personal Events, Parties.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, Kokon Tozai

Re: Naka-Kon 2013

Postby Tsunami3k » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:42 pm

Rave-Kiba wrote:I've never been to NakaCon but i've heard good things about it. I've been to a lot of cons, mainly in Texas, but I'm thinking about going to this one. Anyone know roughly how pricey this one is? Majority of the Texas ones are pretty up in expenses.

You're in luck! They just pushed out the deadline for the late pre-reg discount so you can still get a weekend pass for $40. (Early pre reg gets you in for $30 but you had to commit way back in September.) Don't put it off though or it'll jump to $50 (or $25-Friday, $30-Saturday, $20-Sunday).
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Kokon Tozai » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:17 pm

T3k:
You're in luck! They just pushed out the deadline for the late pre-reg discount so you can still get a weekend pass for $40.

Thanks for the tip! Finally got mine done. Haven't missed one yet & I'm trying for Friday off work to check that day out too.
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby TectonicMuse » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:40 am

Fantastic! It's coming up pretty quickly isn't it?
I'm pretty nervous, there's supposed to be a lot of stuff happening in March. (^-^;)
TectonicMuse
Anime Aficionado

Postby Kokon Tozai » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:23 pm

YATTA!
Just a few more days. I am so stoked & I am getting off work Friday so I can actually go that day. Been checking the schedule. Two things that seem different from last year is shuttle bus to a few key places. That might be fun just for the obvious reasons. And if I read it right it looks like anime viewing is not at the convention center but the Sheraton Hotel. Seems like it was all at the convention center last year. OH and the cosplay has been moved way earlier than usual to 3pm
Saturday.

First choices I hope to do (other than wander & shop):
Friday
Q&A Nobuo Uematsu,History of Vocaloid, Sailor Moon, Blue Chee's concert. Some of these overlap I might just see parts of some.

Saturday
Magical Madoka , Blue Chee's yesterday's idols vs todays & cosplay. Because of the cosplay scheduling it seems Saturday evening is not just open but empty. Q&A with Richard Epcar is about all that grabs my attention. No late night must see's.

Sunday
I really liked Anime Radio last year might check it out again. But that's about the only thing. Shoulda had this late evening Saturday. Maybe Sunday might be good for actually watching some anime there. Always wanted to see Irresponsible Captain Tylor.

What's on everyone else's list? Man even the weather should be great for the weekend. Need to pick a time/place for the usual ASK-C dinner gathering.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:54 pm

Card subject to change

7-7:30 Zelda
7:30-8:30 sailor moon
8:30-9:30 anime horror
9:30-11:30 wow nothing here. Maybe the concert or more dealers room

10:30-11:30 anime mythbusters
11:30-12 durarararara photo shoot
12:00-12:30 line to get in nobuo q&a
12:30-1:30 nobuo panel
1:30-?? Lunch maybe
??-3 line for display contest
3-?? Cosplay contest
6-7 Japanese cinema
7:30-soul eater symbolism
9:30-11:30 mature amv/fan service

11-12 earthbound papas
12-1 anime radio
1-?? Amv's
2:30-3:30 figure panel
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:29 am

Registration is supposed to be open from 5:00 - 9:00 PM Thursday, and I work near there, so I'll probably drive over and get my badge early.

I'll arrive Friday somewhere between 3:00 and 5:15 PM, depending of whether I can get away from work early. No panels I want to see so it'll be either early Dealer's Room work (bearing in mind that there's usually at least one vendor who doesn't set up until Saturday), the screening of Sound of the Sky, or dinner.

Saturday I expect to be at the Madoka Magica panel, possibly sample the Katanagatari screening and/or Madoka Magica screening, and see if the "Trivia Contest" is interesting enough to keep me from attending "So You Want to Go to Japan". Unless I lose my usual antipathy for the Cosplay Contest. I probably won't stay for "Symbolism of Soul Eater," which I wish was was earlier in the day.

Sadly, I don't expect to be there Sunday at all, as my company is sending me out of town next Monday - Friday and I'll have tons of errands and chores. Irksome, as there are two things I would have wanted to see on that day, the "Electronics for Cosplay" panel and a daytime screening of Sword Art Online. "Anime Radio" was pretty funny last year, too.

Overall, this just ain't my con in terms of timing - long dead patches, stuff I want to see in conflict, and no Sunday. It happens.

Scott, I'm delighted you've finally put work in it's proper priority viz. your fandom!
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ca_jas » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:05 am

Oi, on Friday at 3pm I'll be on the konsui fighter panel where we all discuss the process of making the game. I'm not making anyone go but you know, if you're bored at that time drop by. :wink:
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby Kokon Tozai » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:50 am

ca_jas:
Oi, on Friday at 3pm I'll be on the konsui fighter panel where we all discuss the process of making the game. I'm not making anyone go but you know, if you're bored at that time drop by

The Konsui Fighter website is fun to check out take a look
: http://konsuifighter.com/

If I get there early enough I will definetly check out the panel.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby Tsunami3k » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:37 am

Probably picking up my badge sometime tomorrow and leaving early a bit on Friday to the con. Obviously I'll be there all Saturday and likely a while on Sunday should there prove to be some content that piques my interest that day. Haven't really set my sights on many of the panels so far but the Blue Chee's and dealers' room are for sure. I hadn't outright planned for a pre, post or trans-convention gathering at my place but, if there's interest and our schedules align sufficiently, we can certainly do it. I still have a bottle of Josh's extra special sake but have little else as far as gathering munchies'n'drinks. We can play it by ear.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:11 pm

Oddly coincidental, CR is showing (sponsoring?) some anime at Naka-Kon this weekend. It is also their annual Global Shinkai weekend where they show all the Shinkai movies on their website. http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-7 ... i-day-2013
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Chief » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:19 pm

I'll be attending on Friday. I'll probably drive up there after I get out of class at noon so if anyone wants to do lunch before the con, I'm game.

Despite being in the fandom for since '96, this will be my first anime con. Woo.

I'm gonna try and get Uematsu to sign my FF7 sheet music. :)
Chief
Anime Aficionado

Postby Tsunami3k » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:41 pm

Chief wrote:I'll be attending on Friday. I'll probably drive up there after I get out of class at noon so if anyone wants to do lunch before the con, I'm game.

Despite being in the fandom for since '96, this will be my first anime con. Woo.

I'm gonna try and get Uematsu to sign my FF7 sheet music. :)

That seems almost impossible; both that you've been a fan since '96 (damn!) and that this is your first con. I've been to every Naka-Kon since the second one and it's always had a great energy to it. I look forward to you having the blast that I hope it will be for you. I doubt he'd want to sign any of my bootleg CDs from back in the era when I couldn't distinguish from them from legitimate CDs so either I can find my FF VII PC edition manual or box or else I'm outta luck. I am disappointed that there's no concert. I'd love to hear the key songs of the franchise in full-on grand fashion but I hear that costs substantially more.

I hope to get out a little early on Friday, like maybe 3, but probably not early enough for lunch although I'm pretty sure at least a few people will be out and about earlier. Hopefully I'll still see your running around the con.

Dibs on the dealers' room!!!
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Chief » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:35 pm

Tsunami3k wrote:That seems almost impossible; both that you've been a fan since '96 (damn!) and that this is your first con. I've been to every Naka-Kon since the second one and it's always had a great energy to it. I look forward to you having the blast that I hope it will be for you. I doubt he'd want to sign any of my bootleg CDs from back in the era when I couldn't distinguish from them from legitimate CDs so either I can find my FF VII PC edition manual or box or else I'm outta luck. I am disappointed that there's no concert. I'd love to hear the key songs of the franchise in full-on grand fashion but I hear that costs substantially more.

I hope to get out a little early on Friday, like maybe 3, but probably not early enough for lunch although I'm pretty sure at least a few people will be out and about earlier. Hopefully I'll still see your running around the con.

Dibs on the dealers' room!!!

Unseen forces have prevented me from attending conventions prior to now. :p
You still have my digits, right? You can always text me. I'll be on the prowl for Bakemonogatari Blu-ray sets. Maybe I'll try to get Richard Epcar/Tony Oliver to sign my Robotech set.

How long do the autograph lines get?
Chief
Anime Aficionado

Postby TectonicMuse » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:37 am

Soul Eater is in the middle of it's first US broadcast run right now. Think that means we'll see a bit more SE cosplay this year?
TectonicMuse
Anime Aficionado

Postby Tsunami3k » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:13 am

Well, it probably improves the odds of seeing more. It'll be interesting to see how much we end up seeing.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Event Discussion