Spirited Away and Noodles.

Event information, Information, Meeting Recaps, Conventions, Personal Events, Parties.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, Kokon Tozai

Re: Spirited Away and Noodles.

Postby TectonicMuse » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:58 pm

ca_jas wrote: Akira spoiler but I think most of us are familiar with the "KAANEEDDAA" scene!

Actually, I'm embarrassed to say it, but I haven't seen Akira in any form yet.
I am to understand that it's one of THE animes to see however, and I can't wait to see it dubbed or subbed.
ca_jas wrote:Though I could have done without Billy Bob Thorton in PM. What the heck??

Yeah, I think I must have made a heck of a face when I heard that he was in it for the first time. Not my first pick for an anime va haha.
TectonicMuse
Anime Aficionado

Postby TectonicMuse » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:32 pm

Tsunami3k wrote:I can offer up my perspective if it's of any relevance to anyone.

It is, thanks.

I'd agree that dubs are in general much more than adequate. I'd like to clarify again that I am partial to dubs,
and only started watching subbed anime at all recently because dubs are somewhat harder to get a hold of to watch.
Most of my experience with anime has been through dubs and I think that they are a more smooth experience for people like us who don't speak
japanese as a first language, and can thus make for a better experience. It's easier to watch something without having to read it too.

As for anime being first and foremost a visual medium; I see what you mean but..
Anime allows for greater visual expression, true; but I think that the importance of it's other aspects to complete it as a medium should never ever be overlooked.
While a story can be told through visuals alone, it's the writing and music that complete the experience and allow the viewer to suspend disbelief and become invested in the world created in a show.

I don't know if they've made these examples for any anime, but there are some pretty hilarious examples of how movies can be spun differently using the same visuals.

TectonicMuse
Anime Aficionado

Postby bakamatt » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:47 am

TectonicMuse wrote:I am to understand that it's one of THE animes to see however, and I can't wait to see it dubbed or subbed.

Everyone's got stuff they haven't seen yet. No big.

I hope it works for you as well as you're expecting - you could come out of it wondering what all the fuss is about. It's of huge historic importance for anime in America, but mostly in terms of people seeing things in cartoons they'd never seen there before. Or, at least, that's my take on it.

And that was my reaction to the original Ghost in the Shell movie, another work of historic significance. I can see it has substantial themes such as the emptiness of consumer culture, but they were all themes I'd more than had my fill of in other contexts already.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby TectonicMuse » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:39 pm

Ahh, I see.
I'll be sure to keep that in mind when I see it.

I sort of feel the same way about GITS, as I saw stand alone complex before actually watching the movie.
The themes seemed to somewhat assumed in the show such that there wasn't really any crazy psychological reveal in it's predecessor when I finally saw it.
As a side note, because of my experience with SAC I didn't really care for the ending of the movie much.
You probably have to make the Ghost in the Shell movie one of the first anime you see, and watch it multiple times, in order to really appreciate it.
TectonicMuse
Anime Aficionado

Previous

Return to Event Discussion