New Kansas city Con -

Event information, Information, Meeting Recaps, Conventions, Personal Events, Parties.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, Kokon Tozai

New Kansas city Con -

Postby joker » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:29 pm

Good news bad news guys.

1st - good news - there is a new con in kansas city

2nd - not so good news - it is a yaoi centered con -

http://ahn-con.com/

If it was yuri also I might go, but I'm afraid I to hit by a yaoi stick. :-)
"Myau flaps his wings proudly." -Phantasy Star I
joker
Anime Enthusiast

Re: New Kansas city Con -

Postby bakamatt » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:13 pm

Interesting!

No, I won't be there either, but I'm entirely sympathetic to their priorities and goals, and happy to see them. I'd be interested to know if I know any of the con com.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby TectonicMuse » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:06 pm

I have to say, I'm surprised that there's enough public interest in k.c. for a con of that nature.
I had always thought of that as being sort of pigeonholed in the realm of anime. haha
It just goes to show you that you can never really gauge what people watch that easily.
TectonicMuse
Anime Aficionado

Postby bakamatt » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:26 pm

TectonicMuse wrote:I have to say, I'm surprised that there's enough public interest in k.c. for a con of that nature.

They're not constrained to just the city. Yaoi fans are ardent, even by anime fandom standards, and there aren't that many dedicated yaoi cons - they'll get members from Omaha, St. Louis, Wichita, etc., if the weather's okay.

And that's not a huge venue - they could be hoping for no more than three or four hundred members.

Finally, while I'm in no sense wishing them anything but big success, it hasn't happened yet. Getting the word out early is a very good idea; and if any of you hit the lottery, consider buying a "supporting" membership even if you have no intention of showing up.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:55 pm

Did anyone get to this who cares to post a report? Tim, do I understand you did chauffeur duty?
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:52 pm

bakamatt wrote:Did anyone get to this who cares to post a report? Tim, do I understand you did chauffeur duty?

Just 'cause I drove you there doesn't make me a chauffeur no matter how much you beg me to role-play with you.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:10 am

Tsunami3k wrote:
bakamatt wrote:Did anyone get to this who cares to post a report? Tim, do I understand you did chauffeur duty?

Just 'cause I drove you there doesn't make me a chauffeur no matter how much you beg me to role-play with you.

That's not what your momma said.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:09 pm

Hah! Now I get it... What I presumed was just an unusual bout of snarkiness from you was actually a sneaky Facebook post by Wei when we were heading over to Minsky's. She was snickering and taking photos but I didn't think much of it. It didn't click with me until a coworker came up today to ask me how the "event" was. He's not an anime person at all, that *and* he was trying to be delicate with the subject, so it took him a bit before he could get across was he was asking about. Finally he admitted that he had to go look up what "yaoi" meant which instantly made it clear that something was amiss. The only common thread between him and you was FB so it didn't take long to figure out what was up then.

The lesson of the story is: don't turn your back on Wei....she's sneaky!
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:36 am

Never turn your back on anyone with facebook open. I once ended up posting about how wonderful my coworkers were and how much my work computer didn't lock
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:19 am

Sorry to be ambiguous then; I assumed you knew she'd posted that picture.

Anyway, does anyone have any kind of report on membership, whether the event was seen as a success, if people came from out of town, do they intend to do it again next year, etc.?
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:38 am

Although most everyone seemed to know about it, I don't recall a single person actually professing any interesting in going which only reinforces my presumption that targeting such a niche market was fairly doomed. I suppose any numbers that come out will be proof either way. So what attendance numbers would count as a "success"?
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:19 pm

In principle, they needed to sell enough memberships, dealers' tables, and t-shirts to pay their bills: hotel fees for the conference spaces (the big item), supplies, printing, committee members' expenses. If they sold enough hotel rooms, they got a break on the hotel fees, which is why out-of-towners are so important and staying in the con hotel is a way to support the con.

Specifically, I don't know what membership needed to be, but based on what I know of functions at that hotel (ConQuest used to use it), I'd guess 350. (My claim is, if they didn't get that many, they didn't publicize enough.)

However, if the committee was well-heeled and just wanted to throw themselves a big party (unlikely but not impossible), they might be satisfied with any number.

As you say, I wasn't the target demographic. However, I'd be delighted to be able to brag that KC had three annual anime cons.

By the way, if I was going to try to be snarky, I like to hope I'd pick a better insult than "chauffeur." :roll:
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ca_jas » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:37 pm

I had some lady friends who went tell me it was a lot of fun but I refused to listen to the details further than that.

So I can't provide any attendance estimate.
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Return to Event Discussion