MOTAKU 2011

Event information, Information, Meeting Recaps, Conventions, Personal Events, Parties.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, Kokon Tozai

Postby Aldric » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:00 pm

I'll be there on Saturday as well, the biggest thing that pops out to me is cooking with spike, so I'll for sure be there if anybody wants to meet up.
Ben in real life
Aldric
Anime Connoisseur

Postby Tsunami3k » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:00 pm

We all hit that the first year right?
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Kokon Tozai » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:37 pm

So T3k,
checked flickr about 10 times today.....
What? No MOTAKU pics yet?
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby Tsunami3k » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:54 pm

Just 4 from my mini Wei-shoot so far. The weird runway lighting killed a ton of the cosplay shots. With some work I can rescue some of them.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby joker » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:50 am

Hope everyone had a good time. Posted a couple of motaku cosplay contest vids so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o9u0KolE-M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A1g7wYcpew

Looked like they had a pretty professional setup going, but don't know when they'll release that video. I tried to get face shots since most cell phone vids wont be zoomed in.

Looking forward to your pics as always T3K. Saw you guys up front during the contest, but busy providing water and snack to my wife whose cosplay had drained her energy. :-)

Didn't know you were wei's personal photographer t3k. Went to one of her cosplay panels trying to get info on making styrene armor. her , boyfriend?, the guy with the minigun who was at nakakon and st lious, gave me a couple of tips, but otherwise the panel was just ok.

Overall had a really good time. any of you guys going to the Japanese festival at jccc next month? Wife and i will be there.
"Myau flaps his wings proudly." -Phantasy Star I
joker
Anime Enthusiast

Postby Tsunami3k » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:19 pm

Ah yes, Wei's dude's name is Jarred. I can't really claim to be Wei's personal photographer so much as a random guy with a camera that she pings once in a bit to beef up her photo collection and geek out with on rare occasion.

Time will tell how many pics survive the lighting problems and the perfect shot of the runway that I though I had was constantly filled with judges' heads as they leaned into the frame each time they took notes (which was quite often). I really need to get a flash so that I can combat poor lighting and freeze the action a bit. I think I managed to get one mediocre keeper of your wife which I suppose is better than nothing.

I'll post some pics here as I work my way through processing the photos.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:28 am

I believe I'll curmudgeon in here a bit and mention that, while I didn't give it a fair chance, I didn't like the hotel: there wasn't enough parking, hotel services didn't keep the water carafes full, staircases were unhelpfully located, it was tricky to drive in and out of, and there were no useful services (places to eat, etc) within walking distance. Also, the dealer's room was tiny.

Which doesn't add up to enough to keep me away, but could easily tip the balance if something else discouraging happened.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby joker » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:35 pm

i'll definately agree with bakamatt, there was not enough parking which really surprised me and he's right the dealer's room was a bit small and the layout definately wasn't perfect.

In fact a lot of the "issues" i had with anime festival wichita i also had with motaku.

BUT, this is an IN TOWN con. Therefore i'll be back. In fact i lived only 8 minutes away. Will i drive 200 miles to go to a con of equal size and quality? no. Will i go to a con 8 minutes away from me? Hell yes.

It only in its , 3rd?, year. maybe in another 2 or 3 years it could really grow, of course not too much room for growth at the holdiay inn, however the hotel was better than i expected because i had heard some negative things about it.
joker
Anime Enthusiast

Postby Kokon Tozai » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:31 pm

Bakamatt, Anime Baron said:
I believe I'll curmudgeon in here a bit and mention that, while I didn't give it a fair chance

A bummer indeed that you didn't have a good time Matt. Time is precious, maybe if you did give it a fair chance?

I didn't like the hotel: there wasn't enough parking, hotel services didn't keep the water carafes full, staircases were unhelpfully located, it was tricky to drive in and out of, and there were no useful services (places to eat, etc) within walking distance.

I liked the hotel MUCH better than the decrepit run down place on Front Street. The other one was fast fading out, being foreclosed on . This one was a viable business & well kept up with actual patrons! The location was not to my liking, but then I'm a typical Johnson County driver that expects anything worthwhile to be within ~ 15 mins driving distance. But with a little help from GPS, and T3K's interpretation, we pretty much went right to it.

the parking lot was small for a hotel of that size but arriving about 9:50 am Sat I found a close spot, easy. Returning after dinner Ben found a good enough spot by the water slide tubes.... as far away as that was from the front door it took like 2 mins to trek into the lobby.

Staircases didn't figure much into my day: I took a lift up and down once, no waiting, no crowding.

The hotel had a very good restaurant to eat at which we did for lunch. No driving, no walking. As you can see I don't think even Ben went hungry at lunch and neither did I:

For dinner we went to a quite good Chinese buffet about 10 mins away, Ben drove, no problem. Good suggestion Ben.

I thought the Pokeman cosplay troupe was wonderful, Wei was beautiful as usual (and that costume is her first effort at design!) and a second chance to see Joker's wife cosplay on stage: very impressive. Joker is a lucky man. Perhaps at J Fest we can all meet up.

The dealer room was small. Reminds of the little alcove that dealers were in at the first Naka-Kon event. Makes me wonder if they had a choice of doing this or maybe adding two more (whatever) dealers and splitting it between two rooms which would seem pretty sparse. I do know the MOTAKU dealer area is not growing as time goes on, I hope this changes.

The water dispensers were always full for me & I gulped a lot.

There was a very good panel on anime DVD production hosted by WWW. animemidstream.com. From St. Louis they are reviving a series called RAIJIN-OH. From the early 90's. It looked good and the staff seemed very revved up, dedicated indeed to presenting this vintage series to America. I will definitely be purchasing the first 3 eps that are available.

I'm not a big American voice actor fan but I was pretty happy to see Tiffany Grant would be there. NGE is about the only anime series that I really love the dub voices and for me that's the only way I want & enjoy if possible. Spike Spencer was there as well and even tho they did not appear on a panel together, at one point TG came into Spike's room at the end of his presentation. I thought that was pretty amazing: the voice of Shinji and Asuka together in the same room. If only Amanda Winn was there!

Also the hotel had some excellent tables for planking:

My G'daughters enjoyed what I brought back. Aubrey esp like her Ein from Cowboy Bebop:

All in all, a fine experience!
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby bakamatt » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:45 am

That's why we keep you around, Scott: you always find the best in everything. :D

But, to be clear, I had a fine time at Motaku. I just had a very small agenda for the event: show up Friday, get stuff from Curt (and anyone else, in the unlikely event anyone else had anything I wanted), poke about programming a bit, and leave. I never had any expectation of being there the whole weekend.

I spent an interesting half-hour talking to Geoff's friend Dante about MMORPGs and people-watched a bit. My purchases: two Magic Knight Rayearth artbooks, one featuring Gurren Lagann's Yoko, and this guy I know got one of Curt's two-for-one CardCaptor Sakura cel sets. Someone said CLAMP's art peaked with MKR: I'm inclined to agree, these books are gorgeous.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ca_jas » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:30 pm

All this talk of Wei is strange, I always see a completely different side of her haha.
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby Kokon Tozai » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:27 pm

Quote the Bakamatt:
That's why we keep you around, Scott: you always find the best in everything.

Actually I just enjoy being contrary to you whenever I get the chance.

My only real let down for the day was not attending ZR74's birthday bash. I respect & applaud Shawn's effort to book Minsky's , I would have really liked to been there. however I missed MOTAKU last year completely, had only one day available for this year & couldn't figure out how to be in two places at once.

Going a bit off topic I note that there's not one but two prominent ASK-C members with B'days this month.n I propose that we form a committee to study the proposition of the possibility of having a combined August birthday party meet up next August. At Minsky's and chosen so it doesn't conflict with other events. Maybe we'll even call it The Otakust Event.

YATTA!
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby joker » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:36 pm

yeah i agree, really sorry that i couldn't make minski's, Never before has a pizza place done so much to educate the world about anime :-) I would be happy to buy a round of beers at minski's whenever the next gathering there is.
joker
Anime Enthusiast

Re:

Postby Tsunami3k » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:47 pm

Kokon Tozai wrote:There was a very good panel on anime DVD production hosted by WWW. animemidstream.com. From St. Louis they are reviving a series called RAIJIN-OH. From the early 90's. It looked good and the staff seemed very revved up, dedicated indeed to presenting this vintage series to America. I will definitely be purchasing the first 3 eps that are available.

FYI, volume 4 of Matchless Raijin-Oh comes out at the end of the month.

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827 ... 5447/4/0/0
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Re: MOTAKU 2011

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:27 pm

holy thread necros batman :lol:
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

PreviousNext

Return to Event Discussion