An impressive diorama project for an Asuka/Saber shoot

Artbooks, autographs, figures, models, posters and other expressions of fandom.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, Aldric

An impressive diorama project for an Asuka/Saber shoot

Postby Tsunami3k » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:35 pm

I can only hope to someday make something this advanced:

http://myfigurecollection.net/blog/22740

Matt's been pimping pink insulation foamboard for years; now I get it!
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Re: An impressive diorama project for an Asuka/Saber shoot

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:01 pm

That's pretty impressive. I am lucky to be able to color inside the lines in a coloring book, much less attempt something like that.
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:45 am

Tremendous! Words fail me. This will get reposted when I get home tonight.

While I in no sense equate anything I've ever done to his work, I did laugh a couple of times to read that he had to fix the same problems I did, particularly light bleeding through gaps in the walls. But since I'm basically working at 1:67 instead of 1:7, I was able to solve the problem by draping socks over my set.

Also that he chose to shoot outside. I got very lucky with natural light once, as well as having a real background.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Kokon Tozai » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:28 pm

Of course the choice of model characters is excellent. I like using P'Shop to test it out. And the coffee can. I reciognize a tremendous amount of work. What I like about projects like this is it's almost 1980 photography. Where executing a shot really relies on the photographers skills in converting a 3D tabletop into 2D. But ya know there is something about the style/shape of the Asuka & Saber that really puts me off. They are so skinny. They almost have that anamorphic squeezed look to them. And the more you study the final shot the more it looks.... pretend.

I have been carrying this image around in my head for some time & both respect & like it much more:

It is incredibly simpler than the other project but in one word I sum it up as "convincing". I really like the texture on the window & lighting ratio. This could be real.

A leather jacket reflector is always value added.
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby bakamatt » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:00 am

I have virtually no visual imagination. I can't picture anything in my "mind's eye," and a picture has to be extremely evocative for me to be able to pretend it's real. (It's something I can usually only do with pictures of buildings and architecture - I'm probably the only person in the world who watches the video version of Game of Thrones partly so I can look at the buildings.)

So while both the garage picture and Tim's Shiki (?) image delight me it's almost entirely a matter of expertise and storytelling - neither becomes anything close to "real" for me. And, I've got such a primary source fetish that any chance I have of believing the garage picture goes out the window simply because I know Saber and Asuka aren't in the same world. (Nor have I ever been at peace with Asuka wearing an eye patch.)

I'll give the award to the garage picture for expertise and Tim's for storytelling - although neither picture is a slouch in the other department. (Tim always seems to be trying to tell a story in his pictures, which I really like.)

That Shiki figure was the only time I ever compromised my standards for buying a statue and paid for a character I don't know, just because it was so darned pretty.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:07 am

I actually prefer Eye Patch Asuka, but maybe I just like Eye Patch girls.
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:18 pm

@Scott, I suspect the anamorphic stretching you're seeing is because you were browsing from your phone. I saw the same thing from mine. The shots actually look really good when viewed on a PC.

ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:I actually prefer Eye Patch Asuka, but maybe I just like Eye Patch girls.

A wise man (me) once said (just now): "It's a damaged man that can't appreciate a damaged woman." (ROFL, in my head it sounded all cool with its Zen-like "master your fear or your fear will master you"-like symmetry but holy crap it seems weirdly creepy when written out. Nobody damage anyone, ok?!)

I appreciate the generous estimate that I always try to tell a story but it's honestly something I struggle with. A huge majority of my shoots (including the most recent one) are shot pretty plainly. Early on this was due to an odd adherence to the ideal that I'm taking a picture of another person's art therefor I mustn't embellish the photo in such a way as to draw attention away from the figure. Obviously I got past that at some point but even when I do various things to spice up a photo I feel like I'm throwing around some textiles as an interesting pattern more often than anything. Yuki, Shiki and Saber:King of Beers are probably the better examples of shoots I aspire to but they're tragically rare and aren't even remotely as elaborate as the linked shoot.

Sure, pound for pound they swing above their weight (the longest shoot was Yuki at a bit over a day of trial and error and none cost more than $10 in materials) but it's hard to discount the cool factor of a big set. I still daydream of coming up with a modular setup such that I can recycle elements so that the effort of a complex diorama can be utilized for a multitude of shoots. Man, if Goodsmile wanted to make a killing (or an entrepreneurial Etsy person for that matter), they'd come out with a line of 1:8 props similar to what they do for Nendoroids (or others do for Figmas).

Anyway, thanks for the mad props. I want to dream up something neat for my next shoot that'll be the new "best".
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Return to Collectibles