Gunpla in KC

Artbooks, autographs, figures, models, posters and other expressions of fandom.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, Aldric

Gunpla in KC

Postby guyverlord3 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:42 am

I am coming into town and wanted to know if there is any Gunpla in KC? I am bringing the wife to IKEA and want to get some RG Gundams. Anyone know any near overland park
guyverlord3

Re: Gunpla in KC

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:50 pm

Target and Toys Us used to but it's been years since I last checked. Naka-Kon a couple of weeks ago had a lot. There may be some on Lawrence, Bakamatt would know better if modeling shops Cary Gundam models
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:30 pm

If I'm understanding aright that "Gunpla" is Gundam models (sorry, not a fan), the Barnes and Noble on the north edge of Oak Park Mall on 95th in Overland Park has a display near the middle of the ground floor that includes Dragonball and Sailor Moon characters and some styles of Gundams.

I'm home sick today, but there are supposed to be some new manga releases this week so expect to stop in on or before Friday. I'll try to get you an update.

There are some long-established comic stores in town that might have such, but I couldn't tell you specifically.

I presume you're going to IKEA for the Detolf display cases. :) At least, that's what we all went there for.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby guyverlord3 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:09 am

Thanks for check. My wife is wanting to go to IKEA not me, but I am kind of sad that Kansas city has no anime stores that have all sorts of model and anime needs.
guyverlord3

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:41 pm

There was a store briefly in independence that had a good selection, but went out of business years ago, and another one called anime source kc, but the I selection was limited and they recently closed their doors. Some of the comic stores might have some anime stuff, but probably not gundam models. Kurt, owner of Anime Asylum in Pittsburgh, KS is a great source of anime collectibles, but it is kind of by appointment, and you have to plan it around any cons. Maybe I just hadn't noticed the times I visited, but I don't recall him having many gundam models
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:19 pm

I saw tons of Gunpla models at Naka-Kon a couple of weeks ago so maybe next year you can stock up on a few. There's also a smaller new local convention in June filling the hole left by a prior small con, I think it's called Sausomecon or something. Hopefully the dealers will be more anime-centric than its predecessor which was inexplicably saturated with Renaissance Festival vendors.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:49 pm

Moetaku died?
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:49 pm

The peeps who started it are taking a "hiatus" to get married but it's not a great leap to presume that they're making a graceful exit and passing the torch to Sausomecon. It's in the same CocoKey hotel at the same time of year which is likely no accident.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:02 pm

I made it up to Barnes & Noble today. (Picked up Genshiken season 2 volume 6, and Arpeggio of Blue Steel volume 1.)

They have roughly eight different styles of Bandai Gundam models, ranging (apparently based on size) from about $25 to $65. They also have little "STANDart" models that might be molded or already assembled, I'm not at all sure, for $10.

These are on a display near the center of the ground floor, behind the customer services booth.

Hope that helps.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby guyverlord3 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:58 pm

Thanks for the help. I will be there Sat
guyverlord3

Return to Collectibles