Display cases

Artbooks, autographs, figures, models, posters and other expressions of fandom.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, Aldric

Display cases

Postby bakamatt » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:15 am

I don't remember where these were getting posted in the past, so here it it. Turns out trying to take a picture of little things surrounded by glass is pretty tricky, at least by my standards; this is the best of about 20 tries.

I may pony up for genuine lucite display risers some day. In the meantime I'm using little plastic storage boxes from Office Depot.

bakamatt
Anime Baron

Re: Display cases

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:55 pm

Yeah its hard getting a good angle to get the whole thing. I usually open the door to cut down on glare
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:30 pm

Yeah, if you've got a camera that can accommodate filters then a polarizer helps as does a broad and appreciably off-axis light source. The cases look sharp. I tend to also like the more loosely packed display approach even if mine err a bit more on the side of crowded out of necessity. I'm not sure I approve of mixing western fantasy with anime but only to the point of establishing that not everyone can be pleased. ;D The pic is a perfect scale reference for Maka's scythe (err...Soul) since I happen to know all of her shelf-mates quite well. I really hadn't realized it controlled so much air-space.

I may just be the guinea pig for the acrylic stands; I need a few of my ladies to be up a bit higher.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:43 am

Rita gave me quite a fight about putting Western stuff in there too. In a perfect world, I'd put the Western material somewhere else - it isn't harmonious. But if I had, 1) I'd have wound up with a lot of dead air - it would look kind of idolatrous - and, 2) We really don't have much of anywhere else to put it.

(Although, a bit curiously, I've got the Western and Japanese cels freely intermixed, and I think they look fine. Perhaps a cel is a cel.)

Maka's pose is a pain, for all that it's a really nice figure. As you say, she occupies a huge volume of space. And since she's looking down, you can't see her face very well, but moving her to the front of the shelf would compromise anything behind her, as well as looking way too much like I was trying to make it easy to peek up her skirt. But she's worth every cubic inch.

In the course of taking the pictures, I realized I needed to swap Ohno and Sakura - it looks much better this way. I'm thinking the drill needs to be "busy, in the back; simple, in the front."

I don't like the composition on the compartment with Lupin, Tutu, the Steam Detectives, and the Gunslinger Girls. It really needs a two-tier commercial riser, for a total of three levels.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:36 pm

ImageImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:16 pm

Good stuff! And what I can see of the Christmas tree looks cute.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Adrick » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:33 am

I just finished anchoring my new 420 DVD storage case to the wall. After three miss drilled holes, a broken depth gauge, a bent masonry drill bit, and some frustration I got a nice display case for my CDs, DVDs, and video games. Now I saved a lot of money building and installing the case my self. However keep in mind these following things:

1. Read ALL of the instructions before you start or read at least a page ahead. The assembly instructions are never completely in the sequential order. I miss drilled two holes because I did not read ahead.

2. Masonry drill bits create holes significantly larger than the bit size. Always go a size smaller than the plastic anchor you are installing. I used a masonry bit the exact size as the plastic anchor and the hole was way too big. I had drill another hole!

3. Invest in the best quality tools you can afford. In other words, expect to be extra careful with lower grade tools. I broke off the cheap plastic depth gauge on my new hammer drill. The gauge was just a plastic ruler that slid through a hole in the hand grip. Go to Home Depot or Lowes not Harbor Freight or Northern Tool company for your tools. You get what you pay for when it comes to tools.
Adrick
Anime Enthusiast

Postby bakamatt » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:05 am

Adrick wrote:I just finished anchoring my new 420 DVD storage case to the wall.

Nice!

Always go a size smaller than the plastic anchor you are installing. I used a masonry bit the exact size as the plastic anchor and the hole was way too big.

I'm still very much learning how to use anchors. The things I've hung with them haven't fallen off, so I must not be doing it too wrong.

Invest in the best quality tools you can afford. You get what you pay for when it comes to tools.

I'm still coming around on this one. It's not like I get much use out of most of my tools, period. At any rate, I draw the line at the $400 titanium hammer I saw at Home Depot.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:57 pm

Amazon has some led strip lighting on salesale Triangle Bulbs Ultra Bright White LED Waterproof Flexible Strip Light, T93007-1 (1 pack) - 25 watt, 300 "3528 SMD", 12 volt, 16.4 feet, Pure White - 1 PACK https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005EHHLD8/re ... HxbQ420R91
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:03 pm

It's just raw lights so there'll a fair amount of DIY to wire in your own power supply.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:50 pm

Speaking of. Here is a redittors work in progress of wiring up a Detoff with strip LED
https://imgur.com/a/zug6E#IeSexmT
http://imgur.com/a/jktmM
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Return to Collectibles