Anime Figure Storage

Artbooks, autographs, figures, models, posters and other expressions of fandom.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, Aldric

Anime Figure Storage

Postby Chief » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:06 pm

So it finally happened...after 19 years of anime fandom, I finally cracked.

I collect figures now. (Don't look at me that way, Tim...)

My husband doesn't appreciate them slowly accumulating like they are, though. Can you recommend a display case for me? I have mostly Cu-poche/Nendoroids with the occasional Figuarts (Sailor Moon figures). Nothing super large/tall needs to fit in it, so the more shelves it has, the better (no vertical wasted space).

Thanks for the help!
Chief
Anime Aficionado

Re: Anime Figure Storage

Postby Tsunami3k » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:00 pm

Chief wrote:I collect figures now. (Don't look at me that way, Tim...)

.....wuduyaa mean...?
Yess!!!

I've shopped for shelves for years checking tons of obscure sources, weird import sites, custom options, DIY, retail display cases, etc. and have yet to find anything superior to Ikea's Detolf line. Pretty much every other option is more expensive and/or less practical. It's an glass case with a 17"x17" footprint and is roughly 64" tall. It has 4 glass shelves with 15" of height each. Only the top and bottom aren't glass which means it lets an abundance of light in as compared to a repurposed book or shoe shelf. It's relatively enclosed which reduces the need to dust your collection substantially. Some minor downsides are that the shelves are fixed-height; if you have a figure taller than 15" and/or several that are so short that they waste most of a shelf's height then you're out of luck. I usually relegate such troublemakers to the top of the case where there are no height constraints. The other big downside is availability. Having these cases shipped usually doubles their cost. We don't have an Ikea locally *yet* but we're set to get one this Fall. If you're willing to wait a bit more, you can go home with an excellent display case for $65.

Here's one in action:
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:52 pm

For Nendroids, wouldn't a CD shelf work okay? Assuming you're not worried about having them enclosed against the dust, that is.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:28 am

You are spot-on Mr. Matt. I had read the original post on my phone and I somehow missed the "mostly Nendo and Cu-poche" bit. That said, I believe those Figuarts are "prize sized" figures so 6"-7" could still work pretty well should a Detolf shelf be compelling. You might notice from my shelf photo that I tend to arrange figures on a shelf in a vaguely stair-step pattern with the tallest figures in the back, mid-sized figures in the front and sitting, reclining, Nendoroid, prize, etc. figures in the very front. Arranging them in this way offers a chance to view each figure with minimal obstruction from at least some angle. For lower shelves I pick shorter figures since they're typically viewed at a steeper down-angle than the topmost shelf.

I've actually been pre-planning my strategies for when Detolfs will be readily available and have found a variety of solutions to assist with my stair-step strategy for figures of comparable heights. There are a bunch of acrylic display stands on eBay and Amazon made for retail display cases. There are tons of sizes and heights, several of which would be perfect for perching figures on in the backs of display cases so that they'll stand a bit higher than their sisters in front of them. I've also been hoarding Skagen watch cases for years (which means I have exactly 2) which are perfect 3.5" frosted glass-green cubes. I also have some Rochet boxes which could be perfect presuming I can figure out how to liberate them from their stickers. Really, once you develop the roving eye for possible stands, you start to see candidates everywhere.

If the case is still bigger than you want then...well bloody hell....so I was going to send you a link to some sweet tall narrow CD towers at Ikea that were part of my grand room strategy but that entire line is gone. Crikey...4 of 5 items on my Ikea buildout are gone now!! T~T Grr.....anyway, crisis aside, there's probably a good solution if you want something with a smaller footprint and/or with shorter shelves. The only caveat with wooden shelves is that the alcoves tend to not get much light, particularly as you get towards ground level. I can hunt around if you opt for something non-Detolf.

Edit: Found them! Well, or something like them. I guess they renamed them? Anyway...

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90277145/
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Tsunami3k » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:15 pm

Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:41 pm

Tsunami3k wrote:There are a bunch of acrylic display stands on eBay and Amazon made for retail display cases. There are tons of sizes and heights, several of which would be perfect for perching figures on in the backs of display cases so that they'll stand a bit higher than their sisters in front of them

Sharp!

so I was going to send you a link to some sweet tall narrow CD towers at Ikea that were part of my grand room strategy but that entire line is gone.

It occurred to me to wonder if you can still even buy a CD shelf; this is an alarming development.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90277145/

Those are both really nice! What with trying to shoehorn a house's worth of stuff into an apartment, I am so going to be Ikea's bitch...
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Chief » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:56 pm

Oooh, I really like both of those narrow Ikea shelves. I can't wait for the Ikea in KC to open...

My only real complaint about both of those is that they are not enclosed. I should have mentioned this in my OP, but I have two entropy machines (cats) and I wouldn't really enjoy it if they reenacted their favorite Attack on Titan scenes with my things.
Chief
Anime Aficionado

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:08 am

Yeah, mine always try to find ways to get on top of the shelf and knock whatever is on to the floor.
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:33 am

I have to imagine there are some accessories out there, maybe for jewelry or sports collectables that you could stack on the shelves to get multiple layers for nendroids. I have always been fearful that my cats would try to knock over the shelf, but for the most part they don't bother it, occasionally trying to climb on top of it if there is something close by they can leap from
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:48 am

Have you considered saran wrap? For the cats I mean, not the shelves (although I suppose the latter idea could work too).
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Tsunami3k » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:53 am

It's official! Ikea opens September 10th!!!!
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:15 am

Woo-hoo!

That's a Wednesday - you gonna take it off work?
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:27 am

bakamatt wrote:Woo-hoo!

That's a Wednesday - you gonna take it off work?

Hmm, I hadn't realized it was right in the middle of the week. I'm not sure I could warrant taking the day off for a furniture store opening, even for Ikea, plus it's also anime night. The mountain of stuff I want to get there would make my place difficult to navigate for some time after.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:37 am

Actually, you better just go ahead and take the whole week. You're allowed to start lining up on Monday, and you'll need at least Thursday through Sunday to incorporate them into the Room.

Pick mine up for me while you're there, there's a good fellow.

(I'm interested to observe there are several Web sites dedicated to "Ikea hacks".)
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:03 am

So for about as long as I've been pining for Detolfs, I've researched various means of cabinet lighting. What remains the most cost-effective solution (and the most flexible) is to buy bulk rolls of 5050 cool white/warm white/RGB LED tape, transformers and power supplies. It's a bit of a fiddly affair matching LED power consumption per length with power supplies vs. drivers and whatnot, plus it's up to you to run the wiring and attach the raw LED tape in an aesthetically pleasing way. The RGB route seems the most fun, albeit frivolous, by supporting any color of the rainbow via a remote but coordinating multiple sets to one remote remains a challenge (most drivers and power supplies support ~5 meters of LED lighting) as they easily get out of sync. Some newer, but pricier radio (vs. infrared) solutions hover just around the corner which claim to minimize this hassle but it remains a janky enough affair that it's tempting to go with white lighting which is likely what it would be set at the other 99.999% of the time your not pimping your disco effects to noobs.

But now Ikea has again dropped the prices on their "Dioder" series such that it's tempting to pay the [now pretty reasonable] premium for their comparatively fussless lighting solution. Now for $20 a Detolf you can just plunk in one of these badboys:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20119418/

(For those interested, the color temperature of the light is a warm 2700K directly comparable to traditional incandescent lighting rather than the harsh bluish-white light that is sometimes seen with LED lights.)
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Next

Return to Collectibles