Mixed Shoot (Ryomou, Xiao Mei, Yoko, Asuka, [Murata])

Artbooks, autographs, figures, models, posters and other expressions of fandom.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, Aldric

Re: Mixed Shoot (Ryomou, Xiao Mei, Yoko, Asuka, [Murata])

Postby bakamatt » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:17 am

I wouldn't have expected a plain black background to work so well. Good call.

And a really nice figure, too. Transparent plastic might be a gimmick, but it often makes me happy. Would it be possible to shine a light source up through the base, or is its underside opaque?
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:18 am

ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:The longer One Piece runs, the larger the boobs get. I expect by the time it is done, that they will be Eiken level breast sizes.

Shouldn't be a problem; there isn't that much plastic in the world.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:21 pm

bakamatt wrote:I wouldn't have expected a plain black background to work so well. Good call.

And a really nice figure, too. Transparent plastic might be a gimmick, but it often makes me happy. Would it be possible to shine a light source up through the base, or is its underside opaque?

The black background wasn't planned so much as a residual effect of a test shoot gone full shoot. Normally I consider black or white backgrounds to be "cheating" as they're hard to go wrong with yet they're also not particularly adventurous or interesting either. My original plan was to experiment with lighting the "fire" base from beneath for a [hopefully] interesting effect. I was having trouble getting ratio shooting to not overexpose the shots (a technical difficulty I didn't manage to overcome) so I abandoned the experiment and was so relieved by getting properly expose shots by running in "all" mode [i.e. a 1:1 between the "A" an "B" flashes] that I just ran with it.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:09 am

My default assumption is that a busy figure is best with a simple background, and a simple figure should have a busy one. But I'm not really sure it's true; you've done some busy figures with busy backgrounds that looked fine.

However I think a fire motif is one that almost mandates a simple background.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:17 pm

This is why I've been pining for a sheet of black glass! No, I still don't have any but rather, this was another one of those shoots that starts with a quick snap and quickly devolved into getting *the* shot. This is the result jamming several precious, but conveniently on-hand anime DVD cases under one of the feet of one of my [not cheap] speakers [with a glossy black top] precariously far forward in order to get Kurumi to tilt forward enough to rest on her supporting arm and replacing a Hell Girl wall scroll with the black side of a reflector to kill the wall reflection. But of course I had to pick the one next to the window because I had originally intended to just shoot with the available window light but, because of my wall reflection fix, my shooting angle was pretty restricted so I had to overpower the sunlight with some sweet flashy goodness all while using a polarizer to dial in just the right amount of reflection. Anyway, got a keeper but dammit if I didn't end up with a black background yet again.

Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:45 am

If you didn't take a picture of that setup (or did and don't post it) you're going to hell, but I can't argue one bit with the result. I wouldn't have realized it's not black glass, but I don't have your eye. Now that you've reminded me, I'll keep looking.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:11 am

Guess I'm hell-bound then. D: It's still mostly set up so I can grab Kurumi and re-tilt the speaker with relatively minimal effort.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Kokon Tozai » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:51 am

Anyway, got a keeper but dammit if I didn't end up with a black background yet again.

How could you not? Anything then black would show a distracting line in the background. Looks great, excellent shot!
For the next get together you should do a screen saver slide show of your figure shots.
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby Tsunami3k » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:55 pm

Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Tsunami3k » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:18 am

Iris Hallett, an original character design my Masamune Shirow from his Pieces series.

Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:09 pm

Oh wow boobs lol
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:33 am

I started to say "nice set," then realized that might well be misconstrued. So, "nice job of creating a setting in which to pose her." The grass is even to scale.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Kokon Tozai » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:41 am

Best use of a potted plant I've seen. And, nice specular highlights!
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby Tsunami3k » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:51 pm

She was planted with a repurposed wooden chicken skewer from work's holiday party leftovers; it fit her foot peg hold almost perfectly. Backdrop is crumpled black microfiber hit from below with a green-gelled flash. Ungelled, gridded "sunlight" flash shimmed with a omlet pan on top of a Minsky's box plus diffuse sidelight and green "reflector" to the right for some tinted fill...oh and a fake plant on my counter top.

Edit: Ooh, almost forgot to credit the green tea Pocky reflector which was critical to the shoot.

Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:25 am

The behind-the-scene is fun, as always.

All other potential ambient light sources are extinguished? Is this something you have to do at night unless you want natural light?
bakamatt
Anime Baron

PreviousNext

Return to Collectibles