Mixed Shoot (Ryomou, Xiao Mei, Yoko, Asuka, [Murata])

Artbooks, autographs, figures, models, posters and other expressions of fandom.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, Aldric

Mixed Shoot (Ryomou, Xiao Mei, Yoko, Asuka, [Murata])

Postby Tsunami3k » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:37 pm

This is my most recent shoot. Using Xiao Mei to play with off-camera flash and translucent tiles lit from below.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Re: Mixed Shoot (Ryomou, Xiao Mei, Yoko, Asuka)

Postby Tsunami3k » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:42 pm

This was a shoot with a goth version of Ryomou. Playing with off-camera flash and various background lighting techniques.

Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Re: Mixed Shoot (Ryomou, Xiao Mei, Yoko, Asuka)

Postby Tsunami3k » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:46 pm

Lastly, a couple of [literally] quick snaps I took of a Yoko and Asuka trading figure that I picked up in, of all places, St. Joseph:

Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Re: Mixed Shoot (Ryomou, Xiao Mei, Yoko, Asuka, [Murata])

Postby Tsunami3k » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:49 pm

Ooop, just noticed a Range Murata character figure shelf-shot that I figured I'd throw in:

Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:56 pm

Damn it all, I've posted into this thread twice and both times the posting has disappeared. I bet they end up all three showing.

I can't see the off-camera flash on the Xiao Mei, but it really works on Ryomou. Having the main source of illumination reflecting straight back at the user gets a little tedious some time.

A crouching figure on the bottom-lit tiles is just right.

I think the Yoko and Asuka are too close. Where in St. Joseph did you find them?

Dang, that Murata is torchy.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:18 pm

bakamatt wrote:Damn it all, I've posted into this thread twice and both times the posting has disappeared. I bet they end up all three showing.

If it's what I've seen before, you were probably running into a "safety" feature of the forums. Basically, if a post was added between when you hit the Reply button and the Submit button then it won't commit on the chance that you'll want to review the newer posts (that are visible when it refreshes rather than commits your post) and make any relevant ammendments. From there you can hit submit again and it'll commit, provided yet another post doesn't hit between times.

bakamatt wrote:I can't see the off-camera flash on the Xiao Mei, but it really works on Ryomou. Having the main source of illumination reflecting straight back at the user gets a little tedious some time.

It's definitely more forward directed than Ryomou but it's off-center left with a bit of white to the right to fill in the shadows a bit so it's not overly harsh or constrasty.

bakamatt wrote:A crouching figure on the bottom-lit tiles is just right.

It was really hard not to overexpose...err burn....(there's no unsubvertible term here I'm afraid so giggle away) her butt.

bakamatt wrote:I think the Yoko and Asuka are too close. Where in St. Joseph did you find them?

A fair critique. I'm trying to break out of my traditional compositional habits of not cutting off anything, adhering to the rule-of-thirds, etc. so I really wanted to fill the frame with these. I intentionally keep the depth of field down on occasion to accentuate the fact that these are small figures. I won't claim all of my preferences or experiments will be to everyone's tastes but I'd prefer a few failures to letting my hybrid hobby devolve into rote documentation.

bakamatt wrote:Dang, that Murata is torchy.

Yep. Murata's character designs often have a bit of zest to them. It's not all Last Exile and Blue Submarine. ;D

There's a Hastings in St.Joseph.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:38 am

Tsunami3k wrote:
bakamatt wrote:A crouching figure on the bottom-lit tiles is just right.

It was really hard not to overexpose...err burn....(there's no unsubvertible term here I'm afraid so giggle away) her butt.

<giggle> I'm wondering if the light source below the tiles needed to be more diffuse.

I think the Yoko and Asuka are too close.

A fair critique. I'm trying to break out of my traditional compositional habits

By all means,continue to experiment! It's more the fault of the figures than your composition - they're just not high enough quality to support that degree of detail.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:17 pm

Great stuff. I haven't even unboxed any of my Kurtcon, or Naka-kon purchases as well as some stuff I got from AmiAmi. I am pretty lacking in shelf space, but did clear some space up so I will probably unbox a couple soon
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Tue May 07, 2013 9:53 pm

Couple more. This wasn't actually an effort to do an actual shoot but rather an experiment with rim lighting so less nuances with light and shadow and DoF (depth of field) but maybe worth posting? These are with my new macro lens. I got a new 100mm macro lens to replace my....100mm macro lens... -.o

Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Wed May 08, 2013 7:57 am

Hm. Purely on an esthetic level, with no regard for the technical details, I'm happier with the second one.

On the top one, her face has to be in focus, but when it is the proximal edge of her skirt and the sword and sword arm, essentially two-thirds of the image, are out of focus. This is irritating, and I don't know what can be done about it except avoid that particular composition.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Wed May 08, 2013 8:47 am

Yeah, I was just pleased that a couple of test shots came out ok but even had I taken the time to truly compose them, your observations are valid. The shot was taken with a pretty wide open aperture so the depth of field is very shallow. A valid option would be to move to a very tiny aperture to increase the area of front-to-back focus or get a tilt/shift lens that lets me alter the plane of focus. Now I'm wondering why this image appears paler in Chrome as compared to Firefox. This makes me wonder if I'm not exporting into a weird color space again...Oy!
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Tsunami3k » Sat May 11, 2013 9:21 pm

Another experiment. Really rough setup for a quick 4-5 shots. Not even square against my backdrop but the "smoke" effect came out surprisingly well! I almost feel like it's a spoiler to use it since I now know it's viable effect for a future shoot.

Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Sun May 12, 2013 6:45 am

Yes, that backdrop is splendid!
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Sun May 12, 2013 9:03 am

bakamatt wrote:Yes, that backdrop is splendid!

I can't believe it hasn't hit me far, far sooner but it only occurred to me a few weeks ago while shopping for the tiles I used on the Xiao Mei pic that, of the few non-cloth backdrop shoots, nearly all of my "props" are hard textiles. Miku used mylar party basket filler; Nadie used black sand and bullets; Rei and Asuka used glass beads and, of course Xiao Mei had her tiles. I've had a bunch of ideas in my head for more organic shoots but I guess I've always scurried off to the safety of more predictable materials every chance I got.

Now I want to make some props; things that look like real...things. Walls, windows, maybe some small furniture if I get ambitious, trees, etc. We'll see. I guess the real issue is that they take time but if I'm clever enough to make them wildly reusable then it's ok.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Mon May 13, 2013 8:57 am

Tsunami3k wrote:Now I want to make some props; things that look like real...things. Walls, windows, maybe some small furniture if I get ambitious, trees, etc. We'll see. I guess the real issue is that they take time but if I'm clever enough to make them wildly reusable then it's ok.

I know you know I'm all for making things. Stop in to doll house supply Mini Temptations, 3633 W. 95th (closed Sunday & Monday, open 'till 6:00 PM Tuesday - Thursday) to check for inspiration, tools, raw materials, and finished items that aren't the right size but can be made to appear so via forced perspective.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Next

Return to Collectibles