anime figs

Artbooks, autographs, figures, models, posters and other expressions of fandom.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, Aldric

anime figs

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:11 pm

Anyone else collect anime figures? with a few recent additions my current figure collection (The Comicon Rei is kind of hard to see, but its top shelf back right corner)
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:36 am

I've felt like if I opened that particular floodgate, poverty might result. So I've got a few, mostly cheap ones, and they have to be nice versions of characters I really like.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:51 pm

Although, having said that, I made two purchases at the comic show: a set of hero, heroine, and robot from Steam Detectives that was marked down, probably because they'd given up any help of ever selling it; and a Sakura in her pilot's suit from Sakura Wars that was discounted because it'd been a display. (I've always liked the looks of SW uniforms.)

There wasn't a lot of anime stuff there, but a lot of what there was had been marked down quite a bit.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Kokon Tozai » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:08 pm

That's a pretty good loking collection! And I bet it's just a portion of what you have. I'm glad to see you actually take them out of the box.

I feel like Matt does, models could be a lot of fun but a real money pit. So like a good dieter I try to resist temptation on manga or PVC figures.

Then again, Sake cosplaying as The President from Genshiken does look really good.....
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby Tsunami3k » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:27 pm

I've got several but not nearly comparable to that great collection. I must admit that I've tasted the forbidden PVC fruit...and it's awesome! "Floodgate" is perhaps too conservative a term. The details of these things are amazing!

PVC Statues
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:24 am

Kokon Tozai wrote:That's a pretty good loking collection! And I bet it's just a portion of what you have. I'm glad to see you actually take them out of the box.

I feel like Matt does, models could be a lot of fun but a real money pit. So like a good dieter I try to resist temptation on manga or PVC figures.

Then again, Sake cosplaying as The President from Genshiken does look really good.....

No, thats pretty much all of them except for a few I have at work (Mai-HIME gashapons, CLAMP chess pieces, and some Fate/Stay Night "palm" figures)
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:21 pm

For any would be Girls of Gensiken completists, here's the only Ogiue statue that I know of and it's already getting hard to get (it's already discontinued at HLJ):

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ALT20153
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:15 am

Tsunami3k wrote:For any would be Girls of Gensiken completists, here's the only Ogiue statue that I know of and it's already getting hard to get (it's already discontinued at HLJ):

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ALT20153

It doesn't have her spike hair thingie :cry:
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:27 am

ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:It doesn't have her spike hair thingie :cry:

Yeah, I was disappointed with their omission of her paintbrush-tip hair too. I guess they decided to stick with the cosplay theme (like they did for the others) for which the hair didn't work.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Kokon Tozai » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:21 pm

So I took a look at Tsunami3k's slide show of his PVC figs. I thgought the selection was good & I liked the quality of the photos. I could tell he went to a bit of trouble & even used off camera lighting. Lifted with permission from a PM:

he real story was literally me holding a can light with an aging CF (compact fluorescent) bulb in it in one hand and a Rubbermaid tub lid with a white trash bag draped over it in the other as a reflector. I put the camera on timer and set up the lighting through the viewfinder by contorting myself like a mangled bird. Then I'd hit the shutter and scramble to get the right lighting again.

That's one of the things I really like about table top photography... it just doesn't matter what you do or how you do it as long as it looks good. A little effort goes a long way.

And then, Tim, maybe you can share what happened next! ':twisted:'
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby Tsunami3k » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:50 pm

Kokon Tozai wrote:And then, Tim, maybe you can share what happened next! ':twisted:'

Crikey, I didn't expect to get outed. Well, while some time has passed, I still feel rather foolish. I was saving Jubei-chan for last since she was my first figure and wanted to use any knowledge I might gain about lighting from the other figures on her. I turned away from my camera (on a tripod about 2 meters high) for a second to move a can light heard a crash behind me and I turned around to find it laying among a pile of anime DVDs. Both camera and lens pegged my 'N' shelf, breaking it and, scattered artboxes and DVD cases everywhere, including my Neon Genesis platium box. Argh!

I had just watched an episode of CSI so I was able to deduce from the scatter pattern that my camera had plunged forward and killed an anime shelf in the den with the pipe-wrench. I prefer to believe that the camera was so taken with Jubei that it leaned too far forward and fell but I suppose there's also the possibility that it had developed an unwholesome Eva-complex. There's also a very negligible chance that I simply forgot to tighten the camera down before walking away.

Anyway, my camera is fairly decent so this is a pretty unnerving thing to have happen. The body appeared to be intact but that's never a guarantee with such gear but having it fall lens-first made it especially worrisome since I didn't have a protective filter on it.

Clearly if the fall was hard enough to break a wooden shelf then the odds weren't in my favor but, at first glance, everything looked ok...until I noticed the front edge of the lens. Long story slightly shorter, the filter threads were completely smashed up..only slightly soul-crushing, but after a fall like that there's still no guarantee that something internal didn't break within the lens and/or the camera body.

The ultimate proof that everything was still relatively intact was my final image of Jubei-chan, shot through burning tears. :cry:
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:22 pm

Copious regrets!

You may recall my tale of my copy of The Anime Encyclopedia (2nd edition) falling off a high shelf and pasting Belldandy and Skuld, narrowly missing Urd. Do you suppose fate is trying to tell us to get a more wholesome hobby, like alcoholism or counterfeiting?
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Kokon Tozai » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:22 pm

TS3K said:

Long story slightly shorter, the filter threads were completely smashed up..only slightly soul-crushing, but after a fall like that there's still no guarantee that something internal didn't break within the lens and/or the camera body.

Yes, but least the pictures turned out good. It would have even worse with damaged gear & nothing to show for it.

Matt said:
Do you suppose fate is trying to tell us to get a more wholesome hobby, like alcoholism or counterfeiting?

Yes, but you are sure to break many more things by drinking too much. Counterfeiting? Only if you get the plates to make the legendary Goat Bills!
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby Tsunami3k » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:59 pm

Kokon Tozai wrote:Yes, but least the pictures turned out good. It would have even worse with damaged gear & nothing to show for it.

So I initially tried to console myself with until a brief flash of camera gear value vs. total figure value flashed through my head which quickly got me to torturing myself with guilt and fluctuating feelings of self-loathing. I'm feeling much better now....at least about that. I've found other things to get all angsty about.

Kokon Tozai wrote:Matt said:
Do you suppose fate is trying to tell us to get a more wholesome hobby, like alcoholism or counterfeiting?

Yes, but you are sure to break many more things by drinking too much. Counterfeiting? Only if you get the plates to make the legendary Goat Bills!

Hrmm.....did I fail to mention there was at least one bottle of Sapporo involved? Anyway, I'm knocking back another Sapporo as I type this while I wait for the Hello Kitty armband press to warm up.

Cheers!
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Tsunami3k » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:37 am

Now this is cool! Forget the puny 1/8 -1/6th scale statues, at 1:1 these are the real deal:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-11-29/tokyo-anime-center-to-hold-life-size-figure-party

One wonders if these will ever hit the states. I suppose they could be imported but few would want to pay $1200 for shipping. Ironic considering an airline seat (for a typical 1:1 human) is about half that.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Next

Return to Collectibles