Isle of Dogs

TV, Books, Movies...

Moderators: Tsunami3k, Kokon Tozai

Isle of Dogs

Postby Kokon Tozai » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:34 pm

So happened across this recently. It's not anime but it is real stop motion animation. Which is always like magic to me. It is not Japanese but it takes place in Japan. Second only to my appreciation for Mike Jittlov, it is directed by Wes Anderson.

It Is:

A friend at work has already said it seems very sad. I disagree. I think it will be quirky & triumphant, my favorite kind of movie. Being a 2018 release this is about all there is to judge that. Hope to hear what you think:

Oh but too bad, no Beagles or Corgi are featured....
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Re: Isle of Dogs

Postby Tsunami3k » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:54 pm

Oh wow, cool find! I don't recall seeing any stop motion of that caliber. As much as I love Wallace and Grommit, I'd never confuse it's excellent but traditional style with Pixar whereas this, while still very distinct, definitely shares some of the visual cues and directorial quirks. It's extremely rare for me to want to catch a kids' movie in the theater but this one definitely has me intrigued.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Kokon Tozai » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:39 am

Thanks for the reply!
It's extremely rare for me to want to catch a kids' movie in the theater but this one definitely has me intrigued.

Likewise. But what I find interesting is your observation that it is a kid's movie. Now I see almost all Disney/Pixar releases as kids movies. Then there are ones like Isle of Dogs that seems to be more of an all ages movie. Odd that profanity & violence is what qualifies as adult entertainment. Wallace & Gromit also seem to me to be an all ages franchise. In American animation it is oriented to talking toys, a princess in peril, or monsters in the closet. That is why I always feel the need to look outside to Japanese or European content to find anything unique.
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby ca_jas » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:04 am

Oh wow!! This looking really goooddddd!!!!!!!! I had to stop watching the trailer cause I felt like it was going to spoil the plot haha.

The last great stop motion film I saw was Coraline. I hope this one comes to China! Oh and to my knowledge this is the second Wes Anderson stop-motion film right? The other was about foxes or so?
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Return to Entertainment