So who all has cosplayed...

A place to share tips and tricks, show off the fruits of your labor and discuss cosplay as a cultural trend at home and abroad.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

So who all has cosplayed...

Postby Tsunami3k » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:18 pm

...and what character(s) did you pick?

I suppose the subject's on my brain after digging up all the cosplay photos but it occurred to me that I have no idea how popular it is among those who hang out here.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Bishie Serge » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:35 am

I've done a few. My first is one that has been seen by a few of the folks here. My Black Mage outfit was first worn back in '04 at Ohayocon. I also pulled together a simple Kyo Sohma costume that I wore to Otakon of the same year, and a Waldenbooks Manga Party hosted by Melody.

Sadly I have not bothered to put together or wear any other cosplay outfits since then. But I am planning an outfit or two for Naka-kon next year. Hideki from Nerima Daikon Brothers is one and perhaps Straight Cougar from S-Cry-ed if the person I'm contracting to make it isn't too busy otherwise.
Stuff I'm into at the moment: Geeknights, Anime World Order, Nerdy Show ,and baking.
Bishie Serge
Anime Aficionado

Postby Decultured » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:04 am

I made a costume a couple cons back of Jiraiya (the pervy sage) from Naruto. For the most part I think it came out ok, but I decided to try to make my own wig from yarn and it turned out looking like a mullet made of carpet.

Here is a pic from Sogencon, I am on the left:

Decultured
Anime Fan

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:10 am

I wore a menchi hat a few times, does that count?
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:30 am

ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:I wore a menchi hat a few times, does that count?

With all due respect to Menchi (and Menchi hat wearers), I'm afraid I'd have to categorize it along with cat ears and Naruto headbands as "shelfplay" (or, off the shelf cosplay), to coin a new term, so as not to dilute the efforts that people who genuinely exert themselves for the love of their character and/or anime. I think this respect should apply to either self-made or commissioned works since either are hand-made (and many well-intentioned cosplayers would do well to work with a more experienced tailor if they're still in the early learning stages themselves). But that's just my crazy take on things.

Nice try though. :wink: The Menchi hat is still pretty cool.

The pics are great. The yarn doesn't look to bad in the picture but I suppose up close it might have been a different case. If anything, using yarn seems to have had the body to pull off the big hair look effectively.

Bishie, is it fairly common for people to go as more than one character to a single convention? It seems pretty hardcore to me but it also makes sense in that a cosplayer may want to get a few more runs out of their previous costumes while the characters are still mainstream. It would be a lot of effort wasted to make a costume to be used once at a single con. Then again, it sounds like you have two new ones in the works...
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Bishie Serge » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:32 pm

Many people take more than one character to conventions so as to attract more attention. As well as to show off the fruits of their labor.

Sometimes it is the same as just having the cosplay be your outfit for the day, and not wanting to wear a stinky outfit too much at one convention. Febreeze only works so well.
Stuff I'm into at the moment: Geeknights, Anime World Order, Nerdy Show ,and baking.
Bishie Serge
Anime Aficionado

Postby Wiggle » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:03 am

Weeelllll... I've done a few highly obscure cosplays that you all aren't likely to recognize, but I'll put up a mini-retrospective anyway...

All of these links are 100% work safe.

Genbu no Shin from the ultra-unknown bishounen-angel-fest unlicensed anime series Saint Beast at Yaoi-Con 2004:
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=224837

Raoul from the yaoi OAV Ai no Kusabi at the same con (we had a whole group for the rest of the major characters):
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=226693

My good friend River and I as Schuldig and Aya from Weiss Kreuz (lazy versions!) with matching plushes (cause we're dorks) at Yaoi-Con 2005:
http://pics.livejournal.com/pureyaoi/pic/0003c4wp/g11

Final Fantasy XI cosplay, a set of Bard equipment from the ongoing MMORPG arm of the Final Fantasy series at Yaoi-Con 2006:
http://pics.livejournal.com/pureyaoi/pic/0005y664/g22

I've done a couple of other costumes, but I don't seem to have pictures of them handy anywhere!
"I am a gay of demonic charm."
-- Ono, Antique Bakery
Wiggle

Postby Tsunami3k » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:29 am

Those are pretty cool. I think the first one is my favorite but I've got to ask, where on earth do you find the crazy colored hair? I'm presuming you're not actually dyeing your real hair that color.

Allright, bardypants is awesome too...
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby saratune » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:28 pm

I've never cosplayed :(

I have wanted to, but laziness/self-consciousness gets me every time. I have been guilty of "shelf play" at a couple cons (a Naruto headband at the last Naka-kon land an Urahara hat at AFW3 this year), but that is as far as I have taken it.

My problem is I am not crafty in the least. I don't know how to sew and I am miserable at constructing things. I need a nice, easy, inexpensive outfit to wear! I'm toying with the idea of cosplaying at Naka-kon this year but I honestly have no idea who I would go as.

Anyone else cosplaying this coming naka-kon?
saratune
Anime Fan

Postby Wiggle » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:51 am

Tsunami3k wrote:I've got to ask, where on earth do you find the crazy colored hair? I'm presuming you're not actually dyeing your real hair that color.

No no, certainly not. I ordered the blond wig and the teal wig online, but they were several years ago and I forget where. The red wig was a cheapie that came from Party City during Halloween season.

Lots of online shops cater specifically to cosplayers looking for anime-colored hair, but unusual wigs are widely available in costume shops and stores that cater to performers, especially drag performers who often have beautiful yet impossible hair. ^_^
"I am a gay of demonic charm."
-- Ono, Antique Bakery
Wiggle

my cosplay

Postby Fushgi » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:14 pm

only cosplayed once and it was Brandon Heat for gungrave series at yomacon in Detroit. I plan to do Kenshin at AFW this year.
Fushgi
Fushgi

Postby Tsunami3k » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:16 pm

Ahh Kenshin; a perennial favorite. So scars or no scars?
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Fushgi » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:15 pm

of course scars. I can not pull off 12 from sam X...lol plus then I would have to make the hand gaurds and 2 swords for sam X and only 1 reverse blade sword for the series. I already have the sword from I think the first convention I went to. I like to collect Katanas.
Fushgi
Fushgi

Return to Cosplay