Virtual D&D

PC, Wii, PS3, DDR, Xbox, table-top, etc.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, Aldric

Virtual D&D

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:58 pm

A company has come up with a virtual dungeons and dragons. So now at least there is something nerdy to do while wearing those silly vr headsets http://www.dailydot.com/geek/virtual-re ... ons/?fb=dd
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime onlineImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Re: Virtual D&D

Postby bakamatt » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:08 pm

Which this is inarguably posh and spiffy, there have been virtual gaming tabletops for some time now. (Though none that that emulated 3D, so far as I know.) People use them for game sessions online when the players aren't all physically present, and also to create a digital battleboard for in-person sessions. (In the case of the latter, sometimes in conjunction with big flatscreen monitors set into classy wooden game tables for which you can pay a crapton of money.) One of the most well-regarded virtual tabletop companies, Roll20, operates out of Overland Park.

As for me, I like my gaming like I like my women: 2D.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Over the years I've flirted with the idea of reffing online for old friends back home. When my Lawrence gaming group died of attrition and loss of interest, I almost took the plunge. But now I may have lucked into a new group, so that returns to the back burner.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:40 pm

People use lcd tvs in arcade cabinets connected to emulator pc's, I don't imagine it would be that hard to put an LCD in aa table
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:59 am

There is always the option for web based D&D connected to a projector http://www.dailydot.com/geek/digital-pr ... /?fb=gk+eg
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:51 am

That line-of-sight feature of Roll20 - a torch might illuminate for only 20 feet, and only where there's no wall to block the light - is wonderful. It's also a pain to implement, since you manually "draw" the surfaces that are supposed to block light "on top" of your map. (The referee can see everything on his version of the map, of course.)

I'd be all over this tech except for the logistics of seguing from one map to the next. When the party reaches, say, the west edge of the map, they magically can't see one foot farther to the west. Then, when they take that one more step west, an entirely new map is revealed to them. Plus, you then have pick up all the minis - if you're using minis instead of graphic tokens - and move them to the east edge of the new map.

I haven't tried it, but I suspect the effect of this is to cram an unrealistic amount of activity into each map. Still, I'd like to see it done some day. I believe Roll20 does have some Twitch videos I ought to see.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:56 pm

Roll20 has made a deal with Wizards of the Coast to offer official virtual D&D for tablets and browsers
http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/28/123090 ... e=facebook
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby bakamatt » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:01 am

There was a time in there that I'd have said tabletop D&D had seen its best days and was on the way out - particularly after D&D 4.0 was such a failure and Pathfinder (D&D 3.5 with the serial number filed off) seemed to be eclipsing it. But it looks like D&D 5.0 has found an audience, and pencil-n-paper gaming seems to be having a bit of a Renaissance, so maybe not.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:03 pm

Here is a company combining tabletop with touch screen technology http://www.bluestacks.com/blog/app-revi ... games.html
https://playtable.playprizm.com
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:47 am

Neat custom built D&D table
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Return to Games