ASK-C Recommends

A place to post reviews and opinions on various anime series.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

Postby Kokon Tozai » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:44 am

T3k:
My last post here was from when I was but a wee little n00b here.

And when I was a newbie here this thread was like a bible to me. ASK-C at that time was actually organized & my perception was a group of super literate anime scholars putting forth the word. Because of that I don't think I ever posted here before. However if the intent is to list some personal faves that are worth watching, here I go:

1. Neon Genisis Evangelion
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. Beck
4. Genshiken
5. Black Heaven

Yes, Black Heaven. Maybe not an obective all time great but a great one to me.

RE: Matt's list...
There's still two in there I haven't seen yet so I guess I can still find value in this thread. All indeed worthy of reccomending..
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby Tsunami3k » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:35 pm

Kokon Tozai wrote:...
5. Black Heaven

Yes, Black Heaven. Maybe not an obective all time great but a great one to me.

RE: Matt's list...
There's still two in there I haven't seen yet so I guess I can still find value in this thread. All indeed worthy of reccomending..

Yeah, probably the top "sleeper" hit on this thread, at least for those who appreciate its purposeful ridiculousness.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:02 pm

Kokon Tozai wrote: ASK-C at that time...my perception was a group of super literate anime scholars putting forth the word.

Hold on! What are we now, chopped liver? We still put forth the word.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Kokon Tozai » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:38 pm

Bakamatt:
Hold on! What are we now, chopped liver? We still put forth the word.

Foie gras of course. Mousse at least.
To watch Anime is life. All else is merely waiting.
Kokon Tozai
Le Chevalier D'Anime

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:29 am

Foie Gras is disgusting
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:52 am

ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:Foie Gras is disgusting

So we're upper-crust disgusting. I suppose that's fair. ;D
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Re: ASK-C Recommends

Postby BretDM » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:33 pm

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but figured I'd do my best to contribute

The Vision of Escaflowne (First anime I ever watched. I'm a big fan of mecha and fantasy so this hits the spot every time)
Neon Genesis Evangelion (No description needed, just awesome)
Cowboy Bebop (Perfect fusion of action, drama, and a killer soundtrack)
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (It was hard to pick a certain Gundam series over another, but in my opinion this one is the best)
Air (Somewhat depressing, but the animation and soundtrack really stand out for me. Likeable characters too)
BretDM

Postby Tsunami3k » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:44 am

BretDM wrote:Sorry to dig up an old thread, but figured I'd do my best to contribute

The Vision of Escaflowne (First anime I ever watched. I'm a big fan of mecha and fantasy so this hits the spot every time)
Neon Genesis Evangelion (No description needed, just awesome)
Cowboy Bebop (Perfect fusion of action, drama, and a killer soundtrack)
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (It was hard to pick a certain Gundam series over another, but in my opinion this one is the best)
Air (Somewhat depressing, but the animation and soundtrack really stand out for me. Likeable characters too)

Oh wow. Your post reminds me that I'm way overdue for a rewatch of the former two but thankfully I did re-visit Bebop a couple months ago. It's still as stylish as ever. I have several Gundam series but have endlessly waffled as to which one to start in on the franchise with. Perhaps I should start with 00 if I have it. I haven't seen any of the Key series yet but I hear that they pretty much all work the viewer over in one way or another.

Glad you resurrected this thread. I'm tempted to think I did the same thing myself way back when I first joined the boards. I should go back and look at my list to see if I have any new amendments to make.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:50 am

No harm at all at resurrecting old threads. Why would we keep them around otherwise?

Considering how little is left of 2012, I think I'll say my favorite new (to me) shows of the year were Soul Eater and, after last night, Madoka Magica.

I ought to compile a new Top Ten, but I don't think it's changed very much from the last time.

And yeah, Escaflowne is pretty close to the top of my re-watch list.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:18 pm

I would recommend Madoka to anyone. It is a great series. Couple of other recent anime I would recommend would be Highschool of the Dead, Squid Girl, Natsume Yujinchou, and Steins;Gate. Not recent, but If you want something relaxing and easy going, Aria (not Aria the Scarlet Ammo).
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby M-theory » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:39 pm

Ok I'm going to add my top 5 too cause I wanna be one of the cool kids. Haha.

In no order:

Fullmetal Alchemist (both): this was my gateway anime, first one I watched as an adult and I fell in love with the whole thing.
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (marketed as When They Cry in the US): I turned around and watched this one again, trying to figure it out. The answers are in the sequel, but this first one is the best.
Steins;Gate
Trigun
Soul Eater: the art in this is amazing. As well as the characters, the story, the IMAGINATION!

Other good ones that didn't quite make it: Darker Than Black and Monster and My Neighbor Totoro (omg it gets childhood exactly right) and maybe Ergo Proxy.
M-theory

Postby bakamatt » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:02 pm

As I've often mentioned lately, I'm a big fan of Soul Eater and, certainly, part of the reason is the look of it.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ca_jas » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:27 pm

Sell me on Soul Eater, because it's a series that never I've never watched and never had a reason to watch. And from reading the description I am even less enthusiastic about it. What am I missing? Humor? Depth? Cool action? Plot?
ca_jas
Anime Connoisseur

Postby Tsunami3k » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:48 pm

I haven't seen Brotherhood yet but I look forward to watching it; I definitely liked the original. It's weird, though. While I've heard that the new one is at least as good, it hasn't gotten nearly the buzz of the original. I have the original Geneon release of Higurashi. I suppose I should get around to watching that sometime. The second half of Stein's Gate should arrive this month so I'm excited to be able to watch it. Kokon_Tozai has confessed his love for this show which makes it pretty much a must-watch. Trigun is, of course, a classic and BakaMatt will be pleased to hear from another Soul Eater fan. I really liked the art style as well; my only complaint being that the ending was fairly conventional as I think at that point it had passed the manga. A remake a la Brotherhood would be most welcome.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:56 am

ca_jas wrote:Sell me on Soul Eater, because it's a series that never I've never watched and never had a reason to watch. And from reading the description I am even less enthusiastic about it. What am I missing? Humor? Depth? Cool action? Plot?

We never did have just one place where we talked about it; I've gone ahead and created a review. I hope others will weight in also, since it's been a while since I've seen it and have doubtless forgotten things worth mentioning.

As to what you're missing, for me it's primarily visual style, appealing characters, and an effective job of stretching the genre. Tim is right about the ending, by the way, it's middlin' conventional but does have a certain Soul Eater flavor.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

PreviousNext

Return to Anime Reviews