Eureka Seven

A place to post reviews and opinions on various anime series.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

Eureka Seven

Postby bakamatt » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:29 am

No, not really a formal review, but I've just finished Eureka Seven after a long hiatus.

Pros:
"Airboarding mechs" works a lot better than you'd expect.
Eureka is cute as a button, and I'm varying degrees of hot for most of the post-adolescent female cast members.
How can you not appreciate characters named "Gidget" and "Moondoggie"?
Or a mercenary super-plane called "Gekkostate"?
Second opening and closing themes are good.

Cons:
Renton gets literally beat up way too much, yet inspires little sympathy.
The Tormented Captain, Holland, is never anything but annoying. He seems to have only two states, whiny and brutal.
But my big beef is that the writing is scattershot. I guess the writers want us to see the world, but, dang, does it feel padded. That's a 26-episode series that should have been boiled down to 15.

I won't be following up on the franchise.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Re: Eureka Seven

Postby Kitschensyngk » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:41 pm

I reacquainted myself with this series on Toonami last year, and also bought Funimation's DVD sets.

I think it's one of the most amazing shows I've ever seen. The art and animation are great, Renton and Eureka are ADORABLE together, and even though some parts of the story were still confusing the second and third times around, the general theme of the plot isn't hard to grasp.

I could watch the sad parts in the middle of the series all over again to get to episode 26. I hadn't smiled that big since AzuDai episode 24.

I've heard mixed reviews about AO, though, and I'm a little leery going into that one.
Kitschensyngk
Anime Enthusiast

Return to Anime Reviews