My reviews on HubPages

A place to post reviews and opinions on various anime series.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

Re: My reviews on HubPages

Postby Kitschensyngk » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:39 pm

*phoooooooo cough cough* Jeez, it's been a while, hasn't it?

Earlier this year I managed to find some employment, one part-time and one freelance job, which has allowed me to start collecting again. This fall I took advantage of this to collect a series off Amazon that I had been interested in since I saw it on Adult Swim last year, and I've written a little something about it.

And it's yet another Takahiro Omori series.

Here's Durarara!!.
Kitschensyngk
Anime Enthusiast

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:42 pm

Loved Durarararararararararara, but refuse to pay Aniplex prices
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime onlineImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:51 pm

Your review definitely reinforced my deep curiosity for a show that's gotten almost universally high praise. Someday I hope to check it out but, as is ZRyo's sentiment, that's kinda up to Aniplex. I finally watched Baccano this summer and loved it so I'm pretty sure this one will be a slam-dunk for me.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Kitschensyngk » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:18 am

Tsunami3k wrote:Your review definitely reinforced my deep curiosity for a show that's gotten almost universally high praise. Someday I hope to check it out but, as is ZRyo's sentiment, that's kinda up to Aniplex. I finally watched Baccano this summer and loved it so I'm pretty sure this one will be a slam-dunk for me.

Actually you can watch the whole thing, OVA episodes and all, on Crunchyroll.

I managed to find a cheaper offer from RightStuf via Amazon and ordered one volume at a time every few weeks or so. No way am I paying $80 a pop for eight to nine episodes, some postcards and next to no extras.
Kitschensyngk
Anime Enthusiast

Postby Kitschensyngk » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:52 pm

Just put one up for Deadman Wonderland.

Not your bigger brother's Toonami, is it?
Kitschensyngk
Anime Enthusiast

Postby Tsunami3k » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:32 am

Sounds pretty intense. I've been holding off buying this on the chance that it'll make it to blurei.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Chief » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:22 pm

From the Deadman Wonderland review:

"Anime with "read-the-manga" endings are no different. What happened to a satisfying ending?"

What happened was the manga author took time off for her pregnancy, so there really isn't an ending (yet). She just returned to working on her series about a week ago.

I heard that the anime did really poorly in Japan, so they may just cut their losses and be content to have the anime stop where they did.
Chief
Anime Aficionado

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:52 pm

Most serious violent anime doesn't do as well in Japan. Higurashi being the major exception (but it had it's share of comedy as well). Not sure how well Mirai Nikki did
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime onlineImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Kitschensyngk » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:42 pm

Chief wrote:From the Deadman Wonderland review:

"Anime with "read-the-manga" endings are no different. What happened to a satisfying ending?"

What happened was the manga author took time off for her pregnancy, so there really isn't an ending (yet). She just returned to working on her series about a week ago.

I heard that the anime did really poorly in Japan, so they may just cut their losses and be content to have the anime stop where they did.

I can understand if manga authors have hiatuses. Real life and all that. It just annoys me when series like Tokko, Pandora Hearts and the first Inuyasha series don't have endings and just...end.

And I wasn't even into Pandora Hearts all that much.

Yet it feels like the only way to avoid this scenario would be to base it off a super-popular manga and draw things out for hundreds of episodes including some pointless filler (a la Bleach or Naruto) or to do like the first Fullmetal Alchemist series and just make something up.
Kitschensyngk
Anime Enthusiast

Postby Kitschensyngk » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:17 pm

Recently I learned Funimation put all of Black Lagoon on YouTube, so I caught the OVA Roberta's Blood Trail and wrote on it.

I think this is the fastest I've ever put a review up. I finished watching it just last night.
Kitschensyngk
Anime Enthusiast

Postby Kitschensyngk » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:01 pm

One I just finished up about a show I watched last year: Baka and Test: Summon the Beasts.
Kitschensyngk
Anime Enthusiast

Postby Tsunami3k » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:09 pm

Woah! I just now got the second half of that in the mail. Sounds pretty good, particularly if it's got any hint of Pani-Poni Dash to it as you alluded to. Sounds like it may have a bit of Cromartie High flavor as well.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Kitschensyngk » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:54 am

Wanna know why Samurai 7 is awesome? Here's why.
Kitschensyngk
Anime Enthusiast

Postby bakamatt » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:15 pm

Samurai 7 was one of the few shows that sold me on episode one. The look of it was so authentic to the original - dusty, with a very subdued palate. I was a little sorry it didn't keep that look throughout.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Kitschensyngk » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:01 pm

I return with a somewhat feminist viewpoint on gender representation in animated media with, appropriately enough, a Miyazaki film - Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, to be precise.

I originally wanted to review this movie for my blog, Pop Culture Vomit Bag, but there wasn't enough material I could get out of it, so this was the abridged version I came up with.
Kitschensyngk
Anime Enthusiast

PreviousNext

Return to Anime Reviews