My reviews on HubPages

A place to post reviews and opinions on various anime series.

Moderators: Tsunami3k, bakamatt

Postby bakamatt » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:57 am

It's good that you liked it - it's always good when someone likes anything - but I didn't get past the first disk. I didn't like the characters sufficiently to get past Cazador being an rationale-less mash-up - "You know what would be cool? Gunfighters and conspiracy!" How's that again?
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:03 am

None of Bee Train's girls with guns trilogy stuck with me. I dropped Noir, Madlax, and Cazador after only a couple of episodes
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:44 pm

A great review and very timely since chatter about the taco song has been the intermittent topic of conversation on the TRSI forums. I liked Noir quite a bit but I think Madlax held its "big reveal" card too close to its chest for too long. I still enjoyed it but it definitely fell short of its potential. I've heard quite a bit of fan opinion regarding El Cazador at this point and nothing I've heard makes me fear for it being any less than a solid, entertaining show (and likely the best of the unofficial trilogy to boot) as it seems to have attracted many fans well outside of the expected GwG fanbase.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Kitschensyngk » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:32 pm

My latest review belatedly celebrates a very important birthday of an old, dear friend.

Happy 10th anniversary, Azumanga Daioh!

(This was one of the series I reviewed some years ago on my old laptop--my first one, in fact--but I felt that for this one, a complete rewrite was in order.)
Kitschensyngk
Anime Enthusiast

Postby Tsunami3k » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:46 pm

Man, another property's odometer rolls into the double-digits. It's easy to look back with a overly-romanticized view of the years around turn of the millennium as a "golden age" of sorts but it's hard to argue that several timeless classics did crop up during that era.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby bakamatt » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:16 pm

"Over-romanticized," my sainted Aunt Fanny. New DVD releases almost every week, price-per-episode dropping, Tokyopop, domestic J-pop releases, TV screenings, Japanese 'soft power' on the rise - what's not to be romantic about? And like any Golden Age the pity was that we didn't realize it wouldn't last.
bakamatt
Anime Baron

Postby Kitschensyngk » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:45 pm

You mean the days when the only legal way to watch a new show besides television was when a North American company licensed it about a year or so after it debuted in Japan and released it three to five episodes at a time on separate DVDs that came out one every few months?
Last edited by Kitschensyngk on Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kitschensyngk
Anime Enthusiast

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:55 pm

Kitschensyngk wrote:You mean the days when the only legal way to watch a new show was when a North American company licensed it about a year or so after it debuted in Japan and released it three to five episodes at a time on separate DVDs that came out one every few months?

what dark times those were :twisted: Azumanga Daioh is one of my all time favorite anime
ImageAnime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviewsImage
ZeroRyoko1974
Anime Baron

Postby Tsunami3k » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:54 pm

bakamatt wrote:"Over-romanticized," my sainted Aunt Fanny. New DVD releases almost every week, price-per-episode dropping, Tokyopop, domestic J-pop releases, TV screenings, Japanese 'soft power' on the rise - what's not to be romantic about? And like any Golden Age the pity was that we didn't realize it wouldn't last.

Wow, your rosy recollection nearly makes my point for me. ;D Then again, I'm not entirely sure if you took my bait or I took yours!

"New DVD releases almost every week" - We have at least as many releases now and they're usually half-seasons rather than the 2-4 episode releases of yesteryear; "price-per-episode dropping" - Perhaps over VHS pricing but at $25-$40 for 2-4 episodes, DVD prices were never higher (on average anyway; Honnemaise/Bandai Visual releases made a run at reinstating that pricing trend) which remained the norm until much later (in the mid-00s) when ADV really shook things up with their thinpack releases; "Tokyopop" - Surely they will be missed but their decision to gamble on manhwa and 'amerimanga' served only to leave a vacancy where modern day successors like Yen Press have materialized to fill the void; "domestic J-pop releases" - If you're lamenting physical media then I agree, however, there seems to be quite a bit of j-pop on iTunes (but I admit that I'm a poor judge as to what is deemable as "worthy"); "TV screenings" - It looks like there's still quite a bit to me (but perhaps there was more anime on TV around y2k?); "Japanese 'soft power' on the rise" - It arguably still is given the continued rise in convention attendance and the boom in the anime goods and gaming markets (despite the substantial decline in media sales).

I'm not trying to say that things are all dandy these days, more that the continuum has shifted and the ratios of good/not good things have simply changed. While it may be rough times for the foreseeable future for the industry on either shore, it's a pretty good time to be a fan, particularly a new one. Cons are more prolific, online resources and communities are far more established and mature at this point (whereas said patrons have not necessarily progressed as much) and a person can pick from the huge majority of titles released in the last 15 years or so and start (or expand) their collection at a fraction of the cost that a similar collection would require even a few years ago. DVD encoding differences between now and then are like night and day and BluRei has been very, very nice. All the while it seems like comparatively boomish times for academia as introspective media has grown from a dribble to a steady trickle in recent years; not bad for a niche group within a niche.

But I definitely miss ADV (who, despite their Tokyopop-like gambles, also sustained a relevant product line to the end), Satoshi Kon, domestic anime soundtracks, the heyday of dubs, more daring and expermental storytelling (and licensing), artboxes, starry-eyed fans and, despite being a moe sympathizer, the era in which moe wasn't used like a crutch.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Re: My reviews on HubPages

Postby Kitschensyngk » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:59 pm

Holy crap, it's been a while, hasn't it?

Oh well. Reading and replying to bakamatt's review of Baccano! has inspired me to FINALLY finish mine.
Kitschensyngk
Anime Enthusiast

Postby Kitschensyngk » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:30 pm

Guess who came into possession of a universal AC adapter that kept his old laptop powered long enough for him to dig up his old reviews so he could polish them and repost them on Hubpages?

Expect some updates in the coming weeks, the first of which is up now - a review of Gonzo's Basilisk.
Kitschensyngk
Anime Enthusiast

Postby Kitschensyngk » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:25 pm

Two more new old reviews went up for Paranoia Agent and Magic Knight Rayearth.

Little note about the second one: When I originally posted this on the KU Anime Club forums, I poked a little fun at the whole color thing by typing about the heroines in their respective colors - Hikaru in red, Umi in blue and Fuu in green. Unfortunately, HubPages doesn't let you change how your text looks outside of the usual bold, italic and underline, so I've had to abandon the gag altogether. Which really sucks, because I thought it was one of the best parts of the review.
Kitschensyngk
Anime Enthusiast

Postby Tsunami3k » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:38 pm

Your review of MKR definitely stirred up similar memories from back when I watched it. I too wished that Presea had gotten more air time and I'd even go so far that, despite her brief time in the spotlight, she was such an appealing character that I was smitten in record time, a record that she still holds. I also agree that it felt very rushed in the first half. A great story robbed of a minor bit of its potency by the break-neck leveling up of the girls. Perhaps some of its charm was in its brevity but I really appreciated the pace of the latter series even if the story was somewhat more dilute compared to its predecessor (a hard one to match for sure). You've really got me wanting to re-watch that now!
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

Postby Kitschensyngk » Fri May 25, 2012 6:29 pm

Work on my blog and my comic has made me too busy to publish anything on Hubpages, but this week I managed to touch something up real quick.

Just in time for its launch in America (and by just in time I mean six weeks in advance) here's a review of Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt.
Kitschensyngk
Anime Enthusiast

Postby Tsunami3k » Sat May 26, 2012 9:07 am

I was intrigued by peoples' description of how different it was, even if drawing from an offensive palette but I hadn't realized that the show was by the creator of Dead Leaves. I've enjoyed many odd shows but Dead Leaves didn't resonate with me so I'm wondering if I'll be as put off by P&S.
Tsunami3k
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Anime Reviews